How to Use Skylum’s Luminar 4 with Capture One

Pinned

Comments

7 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi,

Please, refer to the updated User Manual draft, there is a detailed guide there which might help you:

https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/how-to-user-skylum-s-luminar-4-with-capture-one

Comment actions Permalink
    Ste Woo

Thanks for the instructions.

I was searching for a way to do this but in the reverse direction— Luminar exported to another app.
    Trying your method I discover that CaptureOne has a much better catalog that Luminar. Luminar catalog doesn’t even have a file name search function. …much less EXIF search or smart folders, etc like Apple’s free app Photos (iPhoto?).

Helga Rowles

Hi Ste, we will introduce some library improvements, including a search tool, in the upcoming updates:
    https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Colin Grant

Cannot get the plugin to work with C1 Express. Can get the image from C1 to L4 ok but when L4 sends it back it does not show in the C1 catalogue, although it is in the folder. The plugin architecture works fine with Nik and Topaz so why not L4? This is an important question for if there is a bug, it is a bug too far and I will be going for a refund. I think the reason is that C1 sends across a tiff to L4 and L4 sends back a tif (not tiff) which is a completely different file that is not in the C1 catalogue. Hence it does not show in the C1 library.

Colin Grant

And before anyone says read the instructions here I have. It does not send the same image back - it duplicates it but under a tif.

Richard Harrington

Colin...  

It depends on the workflow you choose.

If you are using a catalog in Capture One, these files are held inside a package that can't be easily seen

If you are using a Session, these files can be viewed on your hard drive.

Edit With

This option in C1 creates a TIFF with the C1 edits applied.

If you send a TIFF from C1, If you want to choose to overwrite the file, just save it with the exact same name.  C1 will see the file just fine if using a session, but you need to save it back to same place.

Open With

When sending from Capture One you can choose to send the RAW file to Luminar or to send a processed TIFF.

if sending the Raw file, you'll need to export a TIFF from Luminar.

If using an Express version of C1, you may need to click on the folder and tell it to overwrite the previous TIFF.

This works fine for SESSION workflows (which I'd suggest as ideal).  If you want to use a catalog workflow, this doubles up the data on your drive, but go ahead.  You'll just need to import the results.

Dayo Akanji

If using my ExportHandler, https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006852280-Get-Export-Options-with-the-Export-Handler-for-Luminar, you can streamline this by making the following adjustments to Skylum's suggested steps:

Sending a RAW file to Luminar

1. In Step 6 of Skylum's instructions, point to your ExportHandler folder in /Users/Shared/ExportHandler instead and your edited file will be moved to the C1 session folder or catalogue folder (these should have been set in the ExportHandler options beforehand)
    2. Do not change the file name as Step 7 of Skylum's instructions suggest.

Sending an edited image to Luminar

1. In Step 13 of Skylum's instructions, point to your ExportHandler folder in /Users/Shared/ExportHandler instead and your edited file will be moved to the C1 session folder or catalogue folder (these should have been set in the ExportHandler options beforehand)
    2. Do not change the file name as Step 14 of Skylum's instructions suggest.

Image will show up in C1. This works with all versions of Luminar as from L2018 and does not double up the data on your disk if using a catalogue.

Please sign in to leave a comment.