Luminar 4 is really great!

Answered

Comments

21 comments

Bill H

I believe you! There was an interesting psychological science study published in the June, 2011 issue of Psychological Science that examined how people evaluated new evidence when what they believed to be true conflicted with what they wanted to be true.

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Chapman

There are a lot of great features, particularly the Portrait module, but scrolling with the Magic Mouse is still a problem. Why can't there be a preference option to turn it off? It is infuriating. The slightest touch and you are editing a different photo. The only answer seems to be to use Luminar as a plugin to Lightroom, then it works just fine.

Gene Flanigan

The jumping from one image to another on a Mac, basically makes the program almost unusable, or at least completely frustrating.

Per Grunditz

Bill, you should absolutely not believe me! The only thing you should trust and that really matters is your own opinion based on your own personal experience from your own unique perspective. 😀

Richard and Gene, I only use Luminar as a Plugin in Photoshop so I have never experienced the problem you mention. From my perspective Luminar 4 is great, albeit quite a bit unpolished! But it's a very promising start!

Bill H

I’m still awaiting my refund, but according to the automated response I got from Skylum, they are inundated with support requests currently, I wonder why?  

Chris Robison

I find the new Luminar 4 running well enough for a .0 release.  Mac Mini 2018 i7 w/ 32GB RAM, SSD, macOS Catalina seems okay with it.

Is it slow ? Yes. Is it different from other editors ? Yes.  It takes a little different approach to moving around and getting the edits done.  I will say that I do like the changes to the edit tools.  I used L2017, 2018 and Luminar 3 before.  So with updates coming, I would think the performance will improve.  At least it hasn't crashed ;) yet.

At this point, it's still a secondary editor for my work - hobbyist level.  I use Exposure X5 for most everything.  

Sascha C.

@Chris Robison

thats funny that I read your post at this moment, because I am in the trial of Exposure X5 now and find it running very nice and fast on my Macbook Pro. After that test today, I started Luminar 4 again and tried to edit a portrait of my little baby... the first sliders you use are ok, but after 2-3 settings it is getting slower and slower, especially when you use any if the AI silders. The image seems to be rerendered with any stacked setting anytime you change anything. My CPU raises to 100% usage and RAM runs full. Luminar 4 is not usable for any serious editing now. It is still for doing something fast like to use one or two Settings, Effects or a template but absolutely not to use as stand alone. For this, I can use Luminar 2018 or Luminar 3 and invest my money in a working RAW developer like Exposure which I am going to buy.

The refund request is written since two days but not sent. Trying Luminar 4 again and again and it always ends up with frustration.

Shivanand Oss

Same thing today, Angela. My first image was processed by Luminar4. My second image got this message: "Cannot Start Editing. Photo cannot load adjustments. Please try again." Needless to say, after trying again I got the same message.

Sleepless in London

Shivanand Oss

Roger Salvesen

I have to admit I feel a bit odd saying this but I love Luminar 4 as well!

I don't understand why it is working well for me but not others, it is truly odd! For me L4 is faster in editing that L3 and has almost no spinning beach balls on Mac as compared to L3. I have had no issues with installation or launch. I have a 2017 iMac 27" core i7 w 16gb ram on Catalina. Even though I pre-ordered on announcement I somehow was not one of the 20,000 which is the weirdest promo ever? so I installed on the 19th like all mortals.

The main reason for the love are the results! For me the detail with Fujifilm RAF files is improved and many of the tools/filters just have more pleasing results. Of course the new Ai structure and portrait re touching are great too. Sky Replacement I though was going to be something I never used but it has been very useful indeed.

It did take me a week to sort out the workflow but it actually for me is faster and closer to my Capture One workflow. Also I don't find Capture one editing necessarily faster either.

Im curious if the consensus of  slowness of L4 is primarily importing or exporting or just general use? Maybe im just lucky but that is my experience "knock wood"

I will however agree with Richard Chapman as the "magic Mouse" issue is real and while reduced somewhat in L4 it persists on accidental switching to another image while in a hover state over an image. Luminar preferences could use an overhaul to mach the one given to the UI. It is not a deal killer for me but rather a feature that does not really add anything to the function.

Cheers

Roger

Gene Flanigan

For some tools the speed isn't too bad, for others, moving the slider there is a substantial lag before the image updates. It could be your files sizes are smaller so you don't notice this. 

The magic mouse issue makes the program just too frustrating to use. It's a shame, as there are some nice things in Luminar, and if they would sort out the issues and maybe pay some attention to what their customers are asking for, it could be a really nice program.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on Capture One. I have been working with their 30 day trial now for about a week and really like the program. It doesn't have the more gimmicky things like portrait and sky replacement that Luminar has, and some of the Luminar tools that give you extreme edits, but these things are something that after playing around with once or twice will rarely be used. 

So to me, Luminar will be used a few times a year for these types of things, but for an everyday program Capture One or ON1 seem like a much better option.

Roger Salvesen

Hi Gene. I am using a Fujifilm X-E2 which is 16 megapixel so smaller may have less of an issue this makes sense. However if I compare moving sliders in Luminar 4 or Capture one 12 the rect time is about the same. In fact one issue I have with almost all Photo editors is the time it takes to redraw previews when scrolling through large libraries. They all have issues to varying degrees so my expectations are well in check.

Regarding Capture One. As Im a Fuji User Im using the free version simultaneously to L4 and they both reference the same folder of RAW images which works well for me at least. Capture One fuji and Pro in my opinion has some of the best rendering out there for both detail and colour gradients. The newest version 12 has added a very useful adjustable luminance mask but this is the closest you will get to Ai auto mask creation. Also if you have a new gen Fuji camera Capture one also has the Film simulations as profiles built in. lastly if you are a pro C1 is a much better DAM overall

However in terms of time saving creativity Luminar is very fast and in my opinion closing in on comparable overall image quality. Some users simply don't need your photo editor to automatically mask out the sky for replacement or adjustment and thats understandable but this takes quite some time in competitive apps so to be fair Luminar should get credit for this as a plus not a gimmick. An afternoon not wasted with masking is no gimmick to me but maybe for you (no judgement)

But yes Capture one is a great app, more expensive for sure so it better be good!

Cheers

Roger

Gene Flanigan

Roger, maybe gimmick isn't the best word. But sky replacement isn't something I see myself doing a lot. What Luminar does with it, is I think pretty impressive however, and I think the portrait editing is better than what ON1 offers.

I photograph my gems for sale every day, and for me, the ability to add a watermark, scale to 600 x 600 and save to the correct folder is what I do image after image. These can be done in Luminar, but the 'recipes' in Capture One do it automatically.

I spent years using Apples Aperture and my work flow there was perfect. It was very sad to see Aperture go, and I really was hoping that Luminar could take it's place for me, but between all the manual steps to include a watermark, exporting, and the damn image jumping from one to the other, slower loading and editing times it isn't going to be my goto program. Capture One right now seems like my best option. I'm looking at pretty much everything available for the Mac other than Adobe products, I am not a fan of the subscription thing.

The other big issue is the color balance. I photograph my stones with an 18% gray card, and Luminar does bizzar things when I try to automatically use the white balance and take a reading off the 18% gray. Sometime it will turn the image blue, other times red, it's basically useless, so I am forced to manually adjust the color. Every other program I have tried works very well using the color picker on the 18% gray. Even the included Preview program on the Mac does this perfectly as does Photos. Only Luminar totally fails.

Roger Salvesen

Hi Gene. From what you are describing as your "must have's" 1. saved Recipe for output 2. consistent white balance I definitely think capture One is for you. Unfortunately I think Pro might suit you best and while for a professional the price for pro is fair for the average hobbyist maybe not. 

I think we pretty much agree on Luminar. Skylum however have arguably such an aggressive forward thinking approach they often can alienate a portion of their users with brave/bold changes. Phase one are almost the complete opposite as they will always stay the course making solid but gradual changes. When I started playing with Capture one 7 it was decent but I preferred Aperture as well when 9 launched they had me with much better detail with Fuji files and 12 is even better. However the changes have been fairly incremental, so should you get used to it never fear next year the UI will be the same but with some minor additions and an upgrade path to match. But still that quality is undeniable!

Colour in Capture one is also very natural and lifelike and the advanced colour editor is very good without looking fake.

I think for you Luminar may not make sense. But for me I love it and Capture one. Perhaps I should have mentioned  I did not use recipe's at all as im simply editing my photos for pleasure and maybe im the real target customer for Skylum? In some ways Luminar is the iPhoto Pro users have always asked for? 

I appreciate you letting me know your use case and I agree with your assessment. But I can not wait for Luminar to add the Ai masking technology to all tools and filters. The amount of time it took me to brush in Aperture and Capture one was an age. It worked very well in those ads but im in favour of a little time saving tech, They just need to keep working on it and smooth out those kinks!

Cheers

Roger

Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your kind words.

Our top-priority for the upcoming update of Luminar 4 is speed and performance. 

We will do our best to improve the speed of RAWs opening and switching from one image to another in the nearest future. 

Regarding the Magic Mouse issue: 

For now, we are collecting the requests of our users to understand the statistics and prioritise the tasks. 

We will try to fix it in the future but for now please try avoid using it with Luminar. 

Bill H,

We have issued the refund for you.

Please check your email. 

Shivanand Oss, please check the suggestion to your request here: 

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006717520-Luminar-4?page=1#community_comment_360001013920  

Hi Sascha C.,

Please check your email. 

I have found your support request and replied to you there.

Please make sure to respond directly to the support email.

Bill H

Hi Anna, yup refund is there now, thanks again and best of luck with your future releases. I appreciate your confirmation.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Anna V,

das ist ja ein schlechter Witz mit der Maus. Sei Monaten schreiben wir hier wegen diesem Problem und jetzt werden wir wieder vertröstet. Bei Luminar 3 wurde auf Luminar 4 vertröstet und jetzt sollen wir wahrscheinlich auf Luminar 5 oder 6 warten, nein danke. 

Richard Chapman

re: mouse/maus

I really don't understand why this is such a difficult problem. I was a software developer for 20 years and disabling scrolling in a given context seems like a rather trivial thing to implement.

In any case I only use Luminar on rare occasions. I mostly use Lightroom and only use the Luminar plugin - mainly because of the mouse issue but also to keep all my work in the Lightroom catalogue. As I have written before the Portrait module seems faster and better then Lightroom and I think I will probably use it for portraits in the future, but for everything else I'll stick to LR. I find most of the other features in Luminar, features like Sky Replacement in particular, to give a somewhat unrealistic or HDR look to things.

Viel Glück Wolfgang

Roger Salvesen

re: mouse/maus and development. 

I am not a coder/developer but understand projects well enough to know that front line support staff or CSR's usually will not disclose future plans or make future promises the "company" may or may not keep. While it is absolutely true that this feature behaviour could be solved easily what might not be so simple is which way do they go about implementing this change? There are so many ways, and while we are counting perhaps the should go all the way and just allow custom keybindings? It never ends... This is how project creep starts and perhaps Skylum know this all to well being that L4 could be viewed as the 3rd time they have made major ui changes to Luminar, they are all too familiar with the challenges they have ahead.

So while I am in favour of allowing the Magic mouse scroll behaviour to be re-mapped or whatever fixes this. I am content that the fine folks here will simply collect our votes and not make any commitments. But I have no doubt they have a long list of fixes being requested including the magic Mouse.

Im not meaning to condescend to anyone who is frustrated by what seems like slow incremental change. I feel your pain and maybe I'm just numb enough to try to look for some positives while we continue to wait.

Look at the bright side if you accidentally switch to the wrong photo while editing you get 2 edits for the price of one! 

Cheers

Roger

Gene Flanigan

Roger, this jumping to the next image is not new. It's been a problem for along time, and one that Skylum has told us it would fix a long time ago.

I really think that we are wasting our time asking for things on this forum. 

The fix is simple..... don't scroll though the images in library unless the mouse is over the browser. Working with Luminar on a Mac with this issue is just too frustrating. The only work around I have found is to only have one image, that way it can't jump to anything else.

I just purchased Capture One for 30% off on a Black Friday deal.

Per Grunditz

Interesting to see how quickly some people hijack a thread. I started the thread in a positive mood as I really think that Luminar is very good and quite useful despite its present shortcomings. In no time it turned into a thread about the mouse problem! I'm sure it is a very real and annoying problem but that is not what this threat is about! Please!

Why not start a threat about the mouse problem? With a proper caption. Hijacking threads is uncivilized. 😀

Bill H

The mouse issue is a very real problem and one of the many serious issues with Luminar 4 that I hope Skylum take seriously and fix. The guys have done a great job in keeping focus on it. Next time you start a ‘Happy only’ thread please state that in the thread title as otherwise there is always the risk of other people joining in and adding their opinions and raising concerns within the context of you saying that you thought the software was really great. I think people responded in the name of healthy debate; you offered your opinion, others offered theirs! That’s kind of the purpose of having these types of forums, did you think everyone was just going to reply saying ‘yes we agree with Per, it’s really great!’? Look at the number of issues being raised with Luminar 4 on the rest of the forums! Not everyone will be Happy Happy Happy all the time!

Post is closed for comments.