Crashes and Poor Performance

Answered

Comments

15 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

If you haven't already, please contact us with your crash reports (or any other issues you might be having) at www.skylum.com/support so we can look into them. Thanks in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Daniel Acker

Crashes. Starts but crashes and can't restart without rebooting computer. 3 works fine but 4, very disappointing.

Marty D

Go to virtual memory.  Try increasing your page file by 50%.

robert Blanc

In my case I have increased my virtual memory and after restart I had to start 3 times Luminar to open it .I am not sure the problems are solved

Tim Jackson

Version 4 is so unstable it is almost unusable - touch the mouse while it's loading an image it crashes, click a second button before you've waited the 20-30 seconds for it to complete the last commend it crashes, try to use more than a couple of adjustment layers it crashes, ask it to go into edit mode to work on an  image it crashes.

These are the issues that we had with v3, which did seem to get a bit better with later updates, now it feels like v4  has gone backwards.

You can just about make it work if all you want to do is adjust the exposure on an image and save it, but the moment you stress it at all it just gives up. This is so frustrating - Luminar has so much potential as an image editor, but it's no good if it only works for hobbyists, but the moment somebody wants to do some serious editing it just crashes.

I don't know what computers you tested this on before release, but either they were super-computers and you didn't see these issues or you've released a product that is not fit for purpose. My machine is no slouch - i7 processor, 24Gb RAM, Windows10 64 bit, running from an SSD drive.

Sorry, you can probably see how frustrated I am in this comment, but you took my money for this months ago, you've been hyping it up and then when we get it, it doesn't work!

Rob Strower

Luminar 3 worked stable for me at least.

Luminar 4 does not.

I did not bought it yet and I am still in the trial version 14 days.

I love to work with it while it works but I sure wait until the patch which is coming the end of the year, hopefully.

The way Luminar 4 works right now is not acceptable, sorry.

My system is Ryzen and 16GB, SSD.

Crash to desktop while trying to scroll through using keys (mouse works with no problems!).

Many RAM probs but nothing serious when starting Luminar 4 as soon as RAM gets fully filled.

All the best,

Robin

Victoria E

Shame. It's not usable at all. Crashes after just few clicks. Silently. I work for a company with tens+ millions of users, sometimes we can get a crash reports but they mostly coming from older computes with old graphics cards/drivers. I have pretty good computer with plenty of RAM and top graphics card, everything is up to date, everything is stable except for this thing... How do I get a refund? And yes, it is painfully slow.

Kerry Knudson

Luminar must reboot repeatedly

LeoN E

Seriously, as a c++ developer with 20+ years of experience, I don't get how is it possible to release a software of this quality. It's not usable at all. Crashes after 20-30 seconds of running program and making few clicks 100% crash. 

LeoN E

I wonder if I can get a refund or should I do charge back?

I had these very issues on a late-2013 MacBook with 8 GB and a 1TB SSD that I put in and I don’t remember the processor off the top of my head. I was trying to use it with OneDrive and forgot that I had turned on OnDemand mode in OneDrive. Once I turned that off (after getting a fairly quick response to my support ticket before I found it in the manual) it’s been working well. No crashes that I can recall and as good as I’d expect on a basically barebones laptop. Most of my photos are larger raw files from a Nikon D5600. Just my two cents’ worth.

I have a new Dell laptop and the performance of this software (Luminar 4) is non-functional. As others have said, it takes forever for adjustments to complete and often crashes.

Has there been an official statement on this?

Ivan Rivera

I thought about upgrading my machine (currently an FX-8350, 32GB RAM, RX 590, 2x SSD) because of performance and stability issues with Luminar. Looking at the experience of those with faster machines, it seems like it's not worth the effort afterall.

Tim Jackson

I've found a workaround that let's me use the Luminar 4 editing functionality pretty well, but it totally negates the DAM/library function, so it is not all that helpful.

When I first installed Luminar 4 I let it map my whole image folder to create the library, which had over 54,000 images in. This worked OK in Luminar 3, although it was still a bit unstable and at times would throw a fit and crash.

I never got Luminar 4 to work for more than a few seconds without crashing with this configuration. Now I have removed the library all together and I only load single images into Luminar 4 to edit them. This allows me to use it quite well and I can edit my images OK, but obviously I have lost the ability to use any library functionality in Luminar - not a very satisfactory solution and I hope Skylum are working on correcting this.

The other issue I think I've noticed is that Luminar 4 seems to take ages to release the resources it has grabbed after you close the programme. If I shut down Luminar 4 my PC continues to be slow for several minutes afterwards - with massive lag, but then given enough time will suddenly be OK again. Has anybody else noticed this?

Kate Williams

@Tim, indeed, the library of such a size may cause some stability issues, therefore, we recommend working with several smaller catalogs instead. We will make the app handle bigger libraries smoother, though. 

What you've described sounds like a memory leak. They are being worked on, several fixes will become available in the next update. 

@Everyone, a kind reminder is that if you're experiencing any crashes in Luminar, please, forward the logs via support@skylum.com. Be sure to include the detailed description of the steps that lead to the crash. 

1. Reproduce the crash. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to  your email.

Post is closed for comments.