Luminar 4 not opening.

Answered

Comments

28 comments

Vita Bergman

Hi Roger! 

We will do our best to help you.

Could you please specify if you're on Mac OS or Windows?

Comment actions Permalink
    Roger Burt

I'm on Windows 10. Very new HP laptop.

Hugh Mason

I have the same problem with both Lum 3 & 4 I have submitted events logs and carried all the suggested fixes but still cannot open then. Searching the web this seems to be a frequent problem with Luminar products and I t seems the support team have no idea how to fix it. To me I believe I have been scammed, I have asked them to either get it w3orking or return my money. Again, no comment back from Skylum, hope you have better luck than me. BTW like you my system is a very new HP all in one using up to date Windows 10

Roger Burt

This is the contact email I sent to Support in the vain hope of an answer. 

'Hi. I Installed Luminar 4 on 20th November and for 3 days it worked like a dream. Since 23rd November when I open Luminar 4 I see the initial page showing the man with the lantern. Then I get a small spinning blue circle and after about 30 seconds it just drops out. I have rebooted several times, uninstalled and re-installed several times but the same thing happens. I have a HP Spectre x360 2019 Edition which is 5 months old. Top of the range and a powerful machine. I specifically chose this for photo editing and when Luminar 4 came along I thought this will be perfect. So you can imagine my frustration and disappointment. On your Facebook pages I see many others with similar issues so I take some comfort from the fact that I'm not alone. I have many friends who are waiting to see if Skylum 4 works for me before purchasing for themselves. I'm inclined to discourage them. I really would like someone at Skylum Support to investigate and help me with this problem before I go down the road of asking for a refund.
    Please do not ignore my request. I wait in hope for your answer.'
    Roger Burt.

Mike Mailey

I have started having exactly this problem after nearly 2 weeks of flawless editing. Like you I have tried deleting and re-installing without success. Does anyone know of a fix yet? I am using a mac on Catalina. 

Thanks

Mike

Roger Burt

I was told by support that they've 9000 complaints to deal with and they would get to mine as soon as they could.
    That was 5 days ago.

Mike Mailey

Great!! Suspect I will be going back to Adobe sooner rather than later! Maybe you get what you pay for. I had really high hopes for this!

Roger Burt

I have it on 2 machines. It works on my 5 year old Surface Pro 3 but on my 5 month old HP Spectre 360x it worked for 3 day days and then things went wrong. I want it to work on the Spectre but I've lost hope.

Roger Burt

So I got an email from Kate Williams at Luminar with instructions on how to uninstall and re-install. So far it seems to be working as it should. I've printed off the instructions just in case I need them again. 

Fingers and toes crossed......

Mike Mailey

Hi Roger, would you be willing to let me see the instructions you got. I know I am on mac but there might be something there that will help.

Roger Burt

Sure. Do you have an email address?

Mike Mailey

michaelmailey@icloud.com

Appreciate that very much Roger!

Mark Graham

The "timing" of this is uncanny.  Suddenly stopped working on my laptop... works fine on my desktop ( both work areas share files, apps, workflows, etc.) Have reached out to Skylum support and just received their auto response. 

"Roger" ... Maybe cut & paste your instructions you received here, so that maybe the rest of us can try? TY 😀

Roger Burt

Mark.

Here is what I received. Maybe save it somewhere or as I did print it off just in case...

Kate Williams
    Hi Everyone,
    Please try reinstalling Luminar 4 / Luminar 3 in the following way:
    1. Go to “Apps and Features” by right click on the Start button;
    2. Find Luminar there and click [Uninstall] (you can also uninstall from the Control Panel);
    3. Type %appdata% in Search (folder Roaming should open);
    4. Find the folder “Luminar 4” and delete it (it deletes your license for Luminar 4 too. Please, note that your Custom and downloaded Looks will be removed, so make sure to save them somewhere);
    5. Go to Pictures -> Luminar 4 Catalog and rename it (if you have your Catalog anywhere else, find it and rename it).
    6. Install the app once again and launch it: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/installer/win/Luminar4Setup.exe
    7. Choose to Create a New Catalog and add a small folder with images or a single image for editing.
    The same instruction will be applicable for Luminar 3 too. All you need to do is remove "Luminar 3" folder + rename Luminar 3 catalog.
    Luminar 3 can be installed via this link: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar/win/win_installer/Luminar3_Setup.exe
    If the issue persists after these steps, please, contact our team at support@skylum.com and attach the following info to the email:
    a) your hardware specs:
    • Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it
    and attach this text file to your email.
    b) the crash logs:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree.
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email.
    Having this data, we'll be able to investigate the issue further.

Jean Paul Gilles

I had the same problem. I looked in the eventviewer from Windows 10 and i saw it was an error because of a dll from my graphic card drivers. I downgraded the version of that driver and it works now.

It is a AMD radeon graphic card.

Dave Millett

Hi,

I also have this problem. So, looking at the eventviewer, I see these 3 messages:

1st one is an Error message:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        .NET Runtime

Date:          1/9/2020 1:28:43 PM

Event ID:      1026

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      DESKTOP-7HSGFNL

Description:

Application: Luminar 4.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

2nd one, also an error message:

Source:        Application Error

Date:          1/9/2020 1:28:43 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Description:

Faulting application name: Luminar 4.exe, version: 4.0.0.4880, time stamp: 0x5dced610

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.914, time stamp: 0xfb6790ac

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000000000039159

Faulting process id: 0x46e8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5c6e85308f2b2

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\Luminar 4.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

and 3rd a Windows Error reporting info message:

Source:        Windows Error Reporting

Date:          1/9/2020 1:28:45 PM

Event ID:      1001

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Description:

Fault bucket 1524168862306728386, type 5

Event Name: CLR20r3

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Luminar 4.exe

P2: 4.0.0.4880

P3: 5dced610

P4: MiplWrapper

P5: 1.0.1.1

P6: 5dced5ec

P7: ff1

P8: 16f

P9: RML5K4UDBMA5NI04CIYRWVDHKEWFDHCV

P10:

Lots of more lines but hopefully, Skylum, you can fix this.....

Helena Carter

Hi Dave Millett,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support referring to this thread so we could assist you in a better way.

Paul Straatmann

They apparently can't be bothered to check comparability when doing  deployments and one they have you money the don't care, I will be looking for a refund as they have not fixed this issue in the last 3 months.

Austin Miller

Hi Paul,

Could you please reach us here https://skylum.com/support so we can further assist you with your concerns?

I noted the success of one contributor in getting Luminar 4 to continue to start up past the splash screen by going back to a previous driver for the AMD graphics card.  I was also successful by doing this for the AMD RX580 in my HP desktop computer.

Victoria Grace

Thanks for the hint! Several our customers have also reported the same thing, so it could be one of the solutions in such cases.

Help how do I downgrade my AMD software?

If I want to uninstall it says it will delete drivers and software.  My Luminar 4 same happened uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times but noticed I did for some reason upgrade AMD and suddenly got an icon with software and to play games.  It must conflict with Luminar. Thank you

I reverted back to a previous driver (20.2.2) for my AMD Radeon RX 580 in a Windows 10 HP computer by doing the following. Please note that I had never previously attempted this procedure and I was very nervous attempting it. It worked for me but I cannot guarantee this procedure would work for another graphics card or this same card in another computer.

1. I went online and downloaded the executable driver file specific for this graphics card that was one step back from the driver presently being used.

2. I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled the AMD graphics card driver that was currently installed.  I received warnings that this would remove various things but I proceeded with the uninstall hoping that I would still have a screen on which to work to install the older driver.  I followed all the procedures taking care to be patient and allow the system to "equilibrate" through all the steps.  I believe patience is a virtue for this.

3. The system rebooted and I had a screen to go to the executable file I previously downloaded which I double clicked to install.

4.The older driver successfully installed during which I followed any and all directions to reboot if necessary.  If a blank screen was present I waited patiently (and nervously) and it eventually continued the process.  Remember to have patience.

5. After this I get notifications and prompts to do various things (which seem unimportant and in any case could be initiated later if desired) and it seems as if it is seeing the install of graphics card hardware.  But all is working correctly and Luminar 4.2 is now starting up properly.

I would suggest exercising caution for installing AMD graphics card updates (especially if optional) as I believe looking back at having a similar problem with Luminar I now believe it followed installation of an updated driver for the graphics card.  I hope this can be addressed by coordination between the involved software and hardware companies.

ROBERT SOURNIA

all version Luminar 4,3, felx and 2018 dont start whith RADEON driver 20.2.2 and AMD Radeon RX 580

i update the driver to 20.4.2 (21/04/202) and all luminar version start !

Same problem here. Luminar 4.3 only shows welcome screen and blue circle.

PC is 1 week old, WIN 10, AMD Ryzen 5 3600m Geforce GTX 1660 TI.

Reinstalling didn`t solve the problem..

:(

Victoria Grace

Hi there,

Our team is currently investigating this problem and we're doing our best to provide a solution as soon as possible. Be sure we'll let you know in the post below as soon as there is any update on this:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009453700-Luminar-4-hangs-on-the-splash-screen-after-the-update-solutions

Dante Plata

Today was a crazy day for me. Why?, because my Luminar4 was working fine yesterday and today for some unknown reason the app wouldn't open up. So I kept trying but to no avail. Finally, I figured I would reboot my computer and try again to open Luminar4. Well, guess what? It opened up but it took 3:33.09 seconds.

Open it up 3 more times hoping it would open faster like before all the problems but it continued to open very slow

I give up. Love Luminar4 but I'm frustrated right now with its performance. Never had this problem before today. Any answers out there? I would really appreciate your help. 

Dante

I watch Task master in W10 to see the amount of memory as it loads - it usually get to > 2000mb before it opens. Then I know I'm OK, takes > 1min and it does vary. Today its a 200meg TIFF files and took ages and as you see below 4215 mb. Hope that helps 

Please sign in to leave a comment.