TIP: Using Luminar 4 as a Plug-In in Aurora HDR 2019

Answered

Comments

24 comments

David Quillman

I just installed Luminar 4 as a plugin to Aurora 2019.... and it works.

But I have a question about file format,  file size and quality.

I made the following round-trip from Aurora to Luminar 4 and back to Aurora 2019,

The test photo is a jpeg file size 2.77 mb

After making the round-trip from Aurora HDR 2019 to Luminar 4 and back to Aurora HDR 2019.... the final file is now an AUH file type with a file size of 38.477 mb.

So the file size went from 2.77 mb to 38.477mb the file is now over 10 times bigger and a different format.

I this normal? Can someone give me a recommendation for best practice for making the round trip. What file type is best for the round trip ? CR2, JPEG, AUH?

Thank You..... I want to stop using lightroom and photoshop but I can't until I have a good understanding of best process for Aurora and Luminar.

Thank you

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

@Quillman: The 'auh' format is Aurora 2019's native file format for saving all your editing information, so if you wish to modify and/or continue editing at a later time, you can do so. The 'auh' format is not a compressed photo file-type like jpeg, tiff, etc. If you wish to share your photo with others, jpeg is probably your better choice. CR2 is a Canon RAW file format, basically a digital negative that must be developed to bring out the details.

David Quillman

Hello Roy,

I have heard that changing a files format can lead to a large poor quality photo file. So I want to limit the number format changes to maintain quality and file sizes.   So I am asking what  is the best practice for making the  round trip from LR to Luminar or Aurora and back to LR. Why am I making the round trip? to maintain keywords until Luminar has a method to use keywords.

Thanks

Roy Blackwell

Not sure I am following you. Usually, when you send a LR file via plugin to Luminar, it comes into Luminar as a TIF file. You make your edits, hit Apply and the file is returned to LR as a TIF file. What you do with it at that point is up to you. You can export it in any number of file formats. Again, note that 'auh' is a native format to Aurora HDR 2019 only. No other image editing app can create or use that file format. It exists only to allow the user to save his/her editing session and pick it up again at a later time. 

Benku

How do you do this on a Mac?  i.e. setting up Luminar 4 as a plugin for Aurora HDR 2019?

Anna V

Here is the way you can connect Luminar 4 with Aurora HDR 2019 manually on Mac so you could send the HDR image from Aurora HDR 2019 to Luminar 4.

Please find the file(launch Finder > File >  Find):

Luminar4Plugin.plugin

Copy and paste it on the Desktop(for example). 

Launch Aurora HDR 2019 and click Plug-ins > Other > Open plug-in and navigate to the Luminar4Plugin.plugin file. 

After that, you will be able to launch Luminar 4 from Aurora HDR 2019. 

Benku

There appears to be no such file on my drive.  I have run a full search including for hidden files. Is there a package I should have installed?  I seem to be able to go from Luminar 4 to Aurora HDR 2019 but not the other way around.

Andy Kelly

As suggested I've tried the instructions for Mac. OK as far as "Launch Aurora HDR 2019 and click Plug-ins > Other > Open plug-in and navigate to the Luminar4Plugin.plugin file." This just gives options for plugin for Photoshop / PSE / Photos etc. Am I missing something? Right now when I use "open in" or "Export to" Luminar, it opens in Luminar 2018, not Luminar 4....

Bob Thompson

Is there any way to add the Luminar 4 plugin into the menu for the plugins?  the manual way works for for me as a workaround, but it would be a lot easier if I don't have to manually search for the .8bf file every time.

Vita Bergman

Hi Bob!

Aurora HDR 2019 needs to be updated before it can support Luminar 4. While we're preparing the update, you can use this workaround listed above.

Adrian Coleman

Hi Vita. I'm thinking of buying Aurora but I won't be if you haven't yet updated it to support Luminar 4.  Four months on, have you done this?

Adrian

Margaret Bright

Hi Adrian,

We have released the update for Aurora HDR 2019 (it is called Aurora HDR now), and it now supports Luminar 4 as a plugin.

Adrian Coleman

Excellent news. In that case I'll be buying it today!

Enrico Brun

I am also looking for a way to connect Luminar 4 to Aurora HDR but it is impossible, in my Mac there is no file: Luminar4Plugin.plugin. Have any of you solved it? If I go to Aurora HDr (last update) then I go to Plugin> Luminar ... the browser that connects to the site appears to me!

Angela Andrieux

HI Enrico,

Please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can look into the issue and get you up and running with Luminar 4 as a plugin to Aurora HDR.

Mike Ward

I too am trying to get the plugin to allow me to connect from Aurora HDR to Luminar 4 on a Mac - I have asked Skylum support 3 times now for a link so I can download it, but so far without success. Please help!

Update 20th June - link sent; I have to change MacOS permissions to allow me to load plug-in, but it works now.

Anastasia Davis

Mike Ward Hi! We have sent you the link with the plugin via email. Please let us know how it goes.

Rick Fernandez

I am having the same issue as those above on my Mac. I cannot send the photo from Aurora hDR to Lumniar 4. It opens the Skylum webpage instead. Please help.

I select Luminar in the plugin menu,  it shows exporting photo and then nothing.  Luminar never opens.  I am editing now today becasue I have time.  Waiting on tech support does me no good today to get these photos out.  I guess I will be getting my money back...

Enrico Brun

hello the technical support had explained to me how to do it by downloading a file that I no longer remember all the steps, but with this everything is settled! contact technical support everything will be fine

Austin Miller

Hi all.

Here are the steps to use Luminar 4 as a plugin for Aurora HDR:

1. Open a photo in Aurora.
    2. Click Plugins >  Other > Open Plugin.
    3. Navigate to the folder where your copy of Luminar 4 is installed. By default, it's C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4
    4. Double-click Luminar4.8bf. Luminar 4 should open as a plugin in Aurora.

Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpfulhttps://www.loom.com/share/9a51a3854d4f4c79b970a498f048a539  

Roberto Di Donato

I will try the workaround. but why hasn't this been fixed. Even after the HDR version? You click on "Luminar" from the plugin menu and it does nothing.

Roberto Di Donato

no good. I tried the luminar4.8bf work around but still the same. does nothing. It says its exporting the image but then nothing happens. I tried it with Luminar 4 already open and still no good.

Victoria Grace

Hi Roberto,

Could you please reach our support team via https://skylum.com/support so that they could have a deeper look into your case?

Please sign in to leave a comment.