White Balance

Comments

5 comments

Eric

I think Luminar goes by the grey tone, so you’d have to sample an area with 50% grey. This is obviously much harder to determine.

So far, the best white balance tools I’ve seen are in C1 where pretty much any shade of grey will produce good results. In Luminar as well as ON1, I found white balance to be lacking.

Comment actions Permalink
    Gene Flanigan

I get similar bizzar results sampling the gray floor in this photo. I have even gone as far as to include an 18% gray card in shots and still get very poor results with Luminar.

I did download a trial version of Capture One, and used the same image, with very good results. Also today I downloaded a trial version of ON1 and also got very good results with this same image, as does Preview on the Mac and Photo's on the Mac. Only Luminar turns the image crazy colors.

Eric

Ah yes, 18% grey, not 50%. But yeah, not necessarily something to be found in every image. C1 is definitely superior in this regard. They even have a separate white balance picker for skin tones which is handy for portraits. I agree that Preview & Photos do generally a good job as well. I’ve had mixed results with ON1 and for Luminar I usually just do manual adjustments because it’s not worth trying the picker.

Kirk Osborn

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will pass on this info to our tech team for further consideration.

Kirk Osborn

Could you send us the original files that you're working with?

Here's how you can send us files:

•    Visit https://wetransfer.com/ 
    •    If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    •    Click Add your files.
    •    Select the file(s) on your computer.
    •    After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    •    In Send As select Link.
    •    Click Transfer.
    •    After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and send it to support@skylum.com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.