So what about the Pre release beta testers?

Comments

2 comments

Joe Mcdonald

LOL what beta testers???? The buyers are the testers!!

Comment actions Permalink
    Geoffrey Hahn

I was able to beta test the program.  No, I was not paid for this (though I was given a copy of the software after I'd finished testing).  The NDA (I have no idea what you mean by MTA) was vague, but it was suggested that I make no public comment on issues that I found while testing - which is normal with beta testing, as the point of beta testing is to locate bugs.  Yes, I did have system crashes and performance issues during my testing, which were duly reported, and which are no longer occurring on my particular computer.

As far as performance is concerned, the beta copy that I tested ran quite a bit faster than the released software in many aspects.  Among these are creation of catalogs, loading catalogs, and time from selecting image to edit and the time time that the edit tools are available.  I have had 0 - ZERO - crashes with Luminar 4 so far (editing images daily, up to 2 hours per session), where Luminar 3 would crash after editing several image files or if I set check boxes too quickly.  There have been vague proclamations that speed issues are already being investigated (vague in that the software has been out for less than 2 weeks, less than 1 week if you weren't one of the first 20k to preorder) and that an update will be forthcoming.  I know - we've all heard that vague promise before, and I for one am still waiting for the L3 performance update that is supposed to come out by the end of the year.

To address Joe Mcdonald's comment, unfortunately, it is true that with most software applications today, the first purchasers are essentially testers.  Not beta testers, but definitely charlie testers.  It is also an unfortunate fact that in the Windows world, there is realistically no ability for small companies such as Skylum to thoroughly test their software with every single conceivable hardware and driver combination.  Heck, even today, Microsoft releases are often buggy, and I don't know about you, but I find Adobe Photoshop Elements to be extremely slow and prone to crashing, similar to Luminar.  I've seen relatively simple SQL database applications that run on most computers, but would not run on other machines.  Sometimes those problems could be resolved by simple driver updates.  Other times, it was a hardware incompatibility.  Other times, the cause simply could not be found.  That is the nature of software - I've even seen these issues on simple non-database based software applications.  I have a 20+ year history of working in the software industry, and can confidently state that these kinds of issues are not the sole domain of Skylum Software.  Does this let them off the hook?  No.  It's just to try and convey the immense complexities of building a Windows application that is relatively bug free on all possible platforms that it may be run on.

Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.