Importing and exporting masks in L4 when used as PS plugin?

Comments

6 comments

  • Avatar
    Colin Grant

    Why would you want to import/export a mask if using Luminar as a plugin in Ps? I am probably missing the point but cannot understand what you are trying to achieve :-)

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Per Grunditz

    I'm simply trying to create the best possible mask in the shortest time with as little effort as possible. L4 has some unique masking features in the sky replacement tool. Sometimes you are lucky and you get a very good result but on some images it fails. And you can get a mask that is great in almost all areas but total failure in small but essential areas. The tools for refining a mask in L4 are almost non-existent. Yes, there is a brush and some sliders but that's about it. Try using this on hundreds of individual strands of hair! Think portrait of person with long hair moving in the wind against a bland sky. If AI doesn't get it right it may be impossible to fix.

    If Luminar creates a 95% good mask but fails in the remaining 5% then it would be super useful to bring the mask into Photoshop and fix it. There are lots of masking possibilities in Photoshop like various basic selection tools with an AI refine edge brush but also completely different methods like channel masking and in difficult situation the ability to combine individual channels with various mathematical operations. Non of this is found in Luminar.

    And there are specialized applications that only do masking! So the ability to import/export masks creates new opportunities!  

    Combining tools and even use several applications is common practice and often necessary to create a believable mask. But of course it is wise to start with the simplest tool to see how well it works.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Colin Grant

    Well I think the answer is no you cannot copy a mask from Luminar to Ps anymore than you can copy a mask from Ps to Luminar or from Affinity to Ps etc, etc. There are ways to manipulate the result in Luminar I believe; I seem to recall seeing vids but took little notice as I am not that interested in sky replacement, except maybe in respect of very flat skies and L4 handles those well enough.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Angela Andrieux

    Hi Per,

    Not at this time. Luminar does not currently support transparencies, but I'll be happy to share the suggestion with our developers as I know this would be very useful.

    1
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Per Grunditz

    Thanks Angela!

    I enjoyed watching your presentation on the release day! Great job! Yes, masks are essential to much digital editing and being able to move then between apps can prove extremely useful!
    Looking forward to future updates and enjoying the present incarnation albeit a bit rough! 😀

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Doug .S

    I agree and hope Luminar someday soon will be able to import a mask (perhaps a .psd or .tif) and also be able to export a mask similarly.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.