Comments

16 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Harry,

We recommend using the plugin this way: right-click on the image > Export > Luminar 4 > Export a photo with Lightroom adjustments/Open source photo. 

Please note that the new file will be created, creation date will be different. The capture date should remain the same, though. 

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs and troubleshoot it. Please send us the following information:

- a screen recording of all the steps you do in the software prior to encountering EXIF loss;

- the original file you are working with as well as the file which has modified EXIF after being processed in our software.

- which exactly EXIF data is lost. 

You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Here's how you can send us the file with the recording:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your request at https://skylum.com/support

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment actions Permalink

The problem is still there. When you do as suggested, almost all metadata including capture time is lost. There are other threads on the issue. It should be easy to reproduce. All you need is to have some raw pictures imported into Lightroom and do the above suggested measures in exporting the photo to be edited in Luminar. Then take it back to Lightroom. The metadata is lost.This has been reported to happen in both Windows and Mac platforms and reported in Luminar forums. The "feature" renders the software almost useless although a nice toy anyway.

Kari

Harry Maier

There is a work-around. If you convert the files to .dng after import to LR, the metadata will all be shown. Not ideal, but it's what I do.

Actually my mistake. If you "Export with preset" option to edit in Luminar as suggested above, the metadata is preserved. If you use "Photo>Edit in>Luminar" it is lost. I did not even come to think that these two options could be different with regard to preserving metadata. They indeed are. I think Skylum should state this clearly.

Rob Alfieri

This just happened to me as well. Luminar is NOT preserving my metadata when it exports the file from Luminar back to Lightroom. It wipes out all my copyright data, all my camera data, and changes the capture date. That should NOT happen.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rob,

Please note that the recommended way to invoke Luminar 4 as a plugin is to right-click on an image > Export > Luminar 4 > Open Source Files/Edit Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

See the screenshot: https://prnt.sc/s65yje 

After you hit Apply, the photo should appear under Catalog>All Photographs in Lightroom. See the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/neybu8

Rob Alfieri

Roger that, Angela. That works properly. Is there no way to have that same functionality with the "Edit In..." command? That's pretty typical. Thank you!

Anastasia Davis

Hi Rob! At the moment, the method Angela described above is the only one recommended. There is no workaround for the Edit In command.

Yuri Peress

Hi Angela Andrieux,

I tried both ways and got the same result each time.

All the metadata is cleared out

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will investigate your issue further.

Please also do the following:

Press Windows button + R > type cmd in the field that opens > type whoami in the command prompt and hit Enter.

Attach a screenshot of the window to your email.

We'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

Ken Holtgrewe

In Lightroom, we can set preferences for Luminar as our external editor. One of the options there is "Stack with Original." This is important because after applying edits in Luminar and returning to Lightroom, the edited image is stacked with the original, so it is easy to find and not lost (especially if you have a filter applied and the newly-edited image is filtered out). However, as mentioned here, using the "Edit In >" option doesn't copy metadata, which is even more important.

Using the Right-click on an image > Export > Luminar 4 > Open Source Files/Edit Copy with Lightroom Adjustments preserves the metadata, but doesn't auto-stack the images, which is a nuisance.

I think the "Edit In > " option is the preferred and easier way to do it, so it should preserve metadata, and honor the export options that we set in preferences (especially "Stack with Original.").  If you use the export option, it should also honor those preferences as well. Bottom line is, both ways should behave the same. I'm not even sure why they're different.  Seems like too many options and variables at the moment.

Yuri Peress

Hi Ken,
    Sorry to disappoint but “Export > Luminar 4 > Open Source Files/Edit Copy with Lightroom Adjustments” option doesn't preserve the metadata as well. In fact, when you edit the exported image in Luminar you can see the metadata correctly however, when you apply the changes the metadata is erased from the image.
    Technical support told me that it happens because my windows account username has a “space” (first name space last name). Personally, I don't understand how it is related, but anyway. The problem is that it will happen to everyone who connected their Microsoft account to windows since it automatically changes the windows account username to first name space last name.
    Technical support also told me that that they will fix it in one of the next patches, it was more than a month ago...
    BTW, before the last patch or two there was a workaround, clicking on “copy metadata from file” used to bring back the lost metadata however, now it is not working anymore.

Anastasia Davis

Yuri Peress Hi! You are absolutely right. This is a known bug. It should be fixed quite soon. Please stay tuned!

Yuri Peress

All,
    I've just checked the latest update, version 4.3, the issue is fixed for Export > Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.
    However, it is still reproducible with Edit In > Luminar 4.
    For developers, when you use “Edit In” option for the second time (on the same image after deleting the first edit) the the metadata is then saved successfully to the edited image.
    I hope that this will also be fixed.

Margaret Bright

Hi Yuri,

I am glad to hear that everything works fine now. 

Please note that at this time we recommend invoking Luminar as a plugin via the Export option.

Our team is aware of the Edit In issue and will work on fixing it in the future.

Ali Arman

Here's a workaround, or rather a quick fix, to the disappearing EXIF and sort problems in LR. After you're done editing the photos in Luminar and return to LR, remove the edited photos from LR's catalog by pressing Delete key (but do NOT select Delete From Disk option). Then on the folder the photos are in, right click and do a Synchronize Folder. LR will rescan and find the photos, and re-add them with the updated/proper EXIF. (I am using LR Classic 9.3 and Luminar 4.3)

Please sign in to leave a comment.