Luminar 4 - Constant Crashing! DO NOT BUY!

Answered

Comments

8 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

If you're still having trouble with Luminar 4, please email us at support@skylum.com with the info below so we can investigate. Thanks in advance!

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs. Please send us a detailed step-by-step description of what you do in the software before encountering the issue. You can also make a screen recording. You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

If the issue occurs when you're working on an image, send us the image file. Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it may ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your email.

In case the issue leads to a crash, send us event logs:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please send us your HID1 and HID2 codes:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pf15jdigd0mgt4/ViewHID.exe.zip?dl=0 
    2. Launch it.
    3. Copy the HID1 and HID2 codes from the application's window and send them to us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

Understand your frustration and I would be frustrated also if these things were happening to me, probably be very upset. You do realize, however, that a great number of folks are using Luminar 4 with little or no issues. On my old computer and laptop, performance is a bit sluggish but no crashes so far. That said, I am surprised that just as with the L3 rollout last year, Skylum has promised a performance patch for L4 before year's end. I really wish they could get these performance issues sorted out more quickly. Even when they do, I will not be surprised that on some systems, performance will still be an issue. There is such a wide gamut of system specs/hardware differences on the Windows platform, that issues are just a fact of life. Unfortunately, Luminar seems to have a significant share, at least for some users.

Michael Rodwell

Hi Roy,

I doubt many people are using luminar 4 with little to no issues. Luminar themselves have stated they are inundated with support requests concerning luminar 4 and cannot answer all of our emails!

FYI my computer specs are below:

CPU - AMD 3900x 12 core 16 threads

Memory - 32 Gb RAM

GPU - Nvidia 1080ti

Hard Drive - 970 EVO m.2 ssd

Windows 10 - latest updates

This computer is more than capable of editing 4k footage without any lag in Davinci Pro, but it cannot edit a photo with luminar 4. Lightroom works completely fine as does photoshop, I've had no crashes at all with them ever.

Roy Blackwell

Michael, you definitely have a system more than capable. This performance issue with some high end systems is definitely more worrying to me than those barely meeting the minimum specs. Skylum, I would think, must have some awareness of what is causing such issues. Hopefully they can solve it as Luminar 4 is such a good image editing app.

Antonio Frasnedo

After paying for the version 3 license and seeing that none of the bugs reported were fixed, I decided to try it before buying it, it is a disaster that works worse than the previous version, that is to say. DO NOT BUY IT.

And it is true that the only thing that works in that company is marketing.

Antonio Frasnedo

I recommend that you try DxO Photolab, it is a bit more expensive, but it works, very well.

It would be interesting for someone to start telling the truth about this software.

Joe Mcdonald

Your best bet is to report this garbage to the BBB

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/nature-of-complaint/

Kim Hong Soon

Unfortunately, the news of constant crashes, slow refresh rates and etc have been making way into Google top search. Skylum, you better come good story on this. I do love the AI features but these performance issues are annoying.

Post is closed for comments.