What happened to saving as a .lmnr file?

Answered

Comments

13 comments

David Trevino

Having the same problem, yesterday I posted this same issue and have got a few replies to some halfway solutions but none that allow your edits such as filters and masks to be exported. It seems that by using Luminar 4 if you want to go back and edit a picture, you are stuck by doing so only on the initial computer you worked on. It seems you can' take it to another computer unless you start all over again!!! And if for some reason the drive where the library is saved fails, we are screwed!

This is extremely limiting and inefficient! I hope Skylum adds this feature again!!!

Very disappointed :(

Comment actions Permalink
    Collene G

I asked this same question a different way: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006650580-Please-post-information-about-how-to-use-Luminar-4-as-a-standalone-editor-only-AKA-Luminar-Flex

As far as I know, this is only a feature in the original Luminar 2018 and in Luminar Flex. I feel like ppl who used Flex have been asking about whether they needed to purchase this upgrade and kept being told yes, Luminar 4 is a combination of the best of Luminar 3 and Flex. But clearly, it is completely different.

I will go back to using Flex and request a refund.

Kate Williams

@Allen, @David,

Please note that saving project files has been disabled back in Luminar 3 since all the edits are automatically preserved in your Catalog and you are able to revisit the project, review the edits, make further adjustments or revert them. Simply find an already edited photo in your Library and apply the necessary adjustments. You'll be able to view the entire history of edits upon clicking on the History button.

The edited photo can be exported to your drive via File > Export. 

@David, you can move your Luminar Catalog folder (by default, it's located in Pictures folder) to a new computer which will take all of your edits to the new machine. If your photos are stored on an external hard drive the library should be able to detect that external drive on your new computer and you'll be able to pick up where you left off.

If the images are located on your internal hard drive, you'll need to copy those files to the new computer and then point the folders in your Luminar library to their new location (by right-clicking the folder > Locate Folder).

That works only if you're transferring the catalog from / to the computers having the same OS (i.e. Win / Win or Mac / Mac).

Allen Adler

Thank you, Kate. That answers my question.

David Trevino

Thank you Kate, I guess that would be a solution.

I just wished you could still have the option to save in a single file, all the edits per individual pictures.

You see, I work on 2 different locations (office and home) and having to copy each time the entire library to move back and forth seems like a lot to copy. The library will keep increasing with time (could turn out to be many, many gigs once you have thousands of pictures).

I am new to Luminar, and of what I understand, this was what the LMNR file used to be for (equivalent of a PSD). It would be a lot better to have the flexibility to copy the image/images you wish to continue working off site and its LMNR files. Saving a few files would be much faster and efficient (unless I am missing something here).

Having this extra option would give the user the ability to choose the preferred method of saving and transferring information.

Backing up would be the same story, with the LMNR option you could save only a few pictures each time as opposed to an entire library.

I really hope Skylum takes this into consideration. Most programs in the world allow this to be done.

Thank you

michael mills

HI Skylum team,

Everyone (all the actual customers) here are making a valid point. I wish the Skylum team would take this feedback and not simply disregard it.

While I understand that the catalog feature certainly has pros for some, it has cons for others.

The con that people are pointing out is that unless you move an entire catalog to another machine, you can't open these files independently with out the catalog present. Forcing a catalog approach also negatively impacts certain choices people make for work flow. SO, Skylum team should allow customers to choose how they want to save their files. If some customers like the catalog, then let them use that. But for the rest of us who want an LMNR file to work with, we should be allowed that as well. There needs to be a switch one can use to either have mass storage in a catalog or go old school with LMNR files.

There is also another con I see with the catalog. Having a catalog consumes actual computer resources because the catalog has to be quasi "active" upon opening the app. Simple file storage does not need or use additional resources nor do most apps need to maintain catalog links to work.

I personally am forced to use Luminar 2018 because of this problem. The con with using Luminar 2018 is that Skylum doesn't want to fix the bugs in that version. So when something doesn't work properly as it should, I'm then advised to use Luminar 3 or 4 which doesn't meet my need or work flow and I find that some features that were in the older versions are now no longer in the newer ones (3 or 4). Again personally as an engineer, new versions should 1) always be backwards compatible and 2) should be an improvement upon the old, not just a replacement with only new functionality and lost older important features - causing other issues. I have no philosophical issue or opposition with making new versions easier and more efficient, just don't take away things I use and which are important to my work flow.

So in a nutshell while a catalog may be convenient in some cases, it is not in others. Skylum should accommodate both types of users and just as importantly should accept customer feedback..

michael mills

Hi Skylum team,

Still waiting to hear from you!

Margaret Bright

Hi everyone,

I will pass your feedback to our developers to have them consider bringing .lmnr files back in the future, but in the meantime, as a workaround, you can save your edits as looks via Save New Look option or Cope Adjustments from one image and Paste them to another image or multiple ones.

This won’t save layers but your filter settings will be saved. As a bonus, you’ll be able to instantly apply the settings you used for a certain project to other projects.

michael mills

Hi Margaret,

appreciate that but actions really do speak louder than words. .....and we always hear those words, "we will bring it up" and nothing ever happens.

So, an actual "commitment" to restore the option of an ' lmnr" in a timely manner by putting that functionality on a roadmap would be at least a good preliminary start and would go a long ways fostering good will and confidence with the end user that they are being heard. Unfortunately in hind sight, that functionality should never have been removed and you still could have added a catalog capability as a new option. BACKWARDS compatability is key - nothing wrong with adding something new.....

Margaret Bright

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. Once there will be any precise information regarding bringing back .lmnr files. we will share this information with you, including putting it up on the Roadmap. For now, we forward all the requests, like yours, to our team, to make sure they know that many users want this option back.

I wish we could do more for you, but unfortunately, for now, all I can say is that we hear you and we are making sure that all of our team hears your requests as well. Thank you for sharing your opinion on which features are the most needed for you. We really appreciate your feedback.

Norman Pfeil

Hi Margaret,

i second the wish to get back the lmnr-sidecar-files as an alternative approach to the catalog. I use both the Mac and the Windows universe and the sidecar-files would be the only option to use Luminar on both OS for the same data.

I hope this helps to bring more attention for this wish to your developers.

Please sign in to leave a comment.