Ctrl+Z in Erase and Clone & Stamp Tool (Windows 10) - Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

32 comments

Roy Blackwell

Windows: I believe, so long as you have a 'Done' button visible, you cannot undo. Once you apply by clicking done, you can then Undo (Ctrl+Z) or Redo (Ctrl+Y). These choices are also under the Edit menu item.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bill Rogers

Roy, once you select 'Done' it closes the tool and goes back to main editing screen.  There is no way to just undo a recent erase.

Example:

1) Select an area I want to erase. 

2) Click the Erase icon/button

3) At this point I can no longer undo what I just did without closing the entire tool, deleting the new layer (or going back in history) and then reopen the tool.

The problem is each time you open the tool it creates a new layer so it takes some time to open and close it.  It's not like making a normal adjustment which is why not having the Undo available is disappointing...unless I'm missing something.

Roy Blackwell

That is not my experience. If you click Done after doing an erasure, Ctrl+Z will undo that erasure. You are correct in that each time you invoke the Erase function, it creates a new erase layer.

Bill Rogers

I understand what you are saying. Yes, the Ctrl+Z does work after you select Done which is just going back in history. 

However, the undo function does not work while using the Erase Tool.  The process of having to close the tool, then undo, then reopen the tool is very inefficient and time consuming.  Unlike doing regular photo adjustments the erase tool takes some time to open/close which is why this is frustrating.

In the release video/presentation of Luminar 4, they showed the ability to use the Ctrl+Z function while using the erase tool. But they were using a Mac, so I'm guessing Windows users don't get the same kind of love from the developers.

I started another thread regarding the lasso select in Erase Tool as well. It was shown in video on a Mac, but does not look like it is available in Windows.

Thomas Aumüller

This is such a no brainer...

Roy: imagine: you want to erase some minor spots from your image and something more complicated. So you do 20 erases on the minor spots and start workin on the more complex thing. Then you realize that your last "erase" looks aweful, or you selected an area thats too big, or you did a "wrong-click". EVERY other editor would have some CTRL-Z to get back.

With Luminar you have to apply the work you have done including your last crap, and THEN go back -> like: killing all your other 20 successful erases.

And its not just the erases (which is easier to correct before applying the setting): it is EVERYWHERE: masking, cloning (!), just everywhere. Have you worked on a picture with stamping and cloning for an hour once? Clicked the wrong button and started ALL OVER, because there is no way to correct a SINGLE click? Doesn't sound like fun, does it?

Is Skylum suggesting to do EVERY single click on a NEW edit? With ages of waiting for Luminar to prepare every step?

Kate Williams

Hi Everyone, 

Indeed, the undo buttons are not functional when using Erase/ Clone and Stamp and masking on Windows, as there are some tech limitations with their implementation at this time. 

As for Erase / Clone and Stamp: you need to click Done and undo the creation of a new erased / cloned layer. 

As for masking: you can switch to the Erase mode in order to subtract the mask. 

Robert Ford

As a new (Windows) user this is truly disappointing, especially after all the hype about Luminar 4. Not being able to UNDO while using the clone/stamp tool!  Can't imagine doing a portrait retouch that forces you to do multiple layers of cloning or having to step back in History to correct. (Lightroom and Photoshop have this simple functionality.) Could be such a great tool!

Chris Hitchcock

I've just requested a refund because of this. I'll never use this feature because of the poor implementation of undo on clone/erase layers. I wont use the software because of this as the frustration levels it will produce will drive me to drink.

Juraj Bilicky

it is really frustrating... I am disapointed that I have discovered this major flaws so late. Is there going to be any further development by skylum or is this going to stay this way?

Bill Rogers

See Kate Williams comment above, I believe she is with Skylum.  

I also sent an email to tech support when first looking into this and here is the response they gave:

"I am sorry to say but for now this functionality is unavailable on Windows.
    However, we will do our best to add it in the nearest future. "

I have resorted back to Photoshop for these fixes which I think does a better job than Lightroom (both of which have undo functionality).  But hey, if you want to replace a sky Luminar works great.  (-:

Kenneth Comben

I have to agree with this post: I have been posting on the facebook page about this issue but nom nanswers . i have contacted Richard Harrington and he was unaware of this problem . This is a dreadful programming error. come on Skylum please fix asap.

Kenneth Comben

I have to agree with this post: I have been posting on the facebook page about this issue but no answers . i have contacted Richard Harrington and he was unaware of this problem . This is a dreadful programming error. come on Skylum please fix asap.

Lionel GRENETIER

Hello,

I just bought the software yesterday after watching hours of reviews about this software, nobody never mentioned this issue. Undo is really a "basic" function an editing software must provide, i mean that is almost a reflex CTRL+Z. It is so frustrating that you almost done with your erase/clone edit, you just want to perform a minor  adjustment to your edit and suddenly... too bright or too dark, you are done to start again... and again... The time we earn in all the edit process is lost because of this missing function... Come on guys, how could you make a so intelligent software that does impressive edits in seconds with "Artificial Intelligence" and not come out with an undo function in this erase/clone tool ? 

I hope the fix will come very soon. Don't loose customers for such issue... 

Bill Rogers

Update 4.1.0 released.  They did not address this issue, still cannot undo if you are a Windows user. 

Roger Osborne

I too am disappointed that this is such a complicated function to achieve.  An undo function is basic in most intuitive software and to have to use a complicated means (as a novice) is bad form.  It's put me off continuing my learning process.

Kenneth Comben

Come on Skylum, we have been reporting this issue since the initial release of Luminar 4 , PLEASE fix this as a matter of High priority.

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

I have forwarded your feedback to our developers. Right now, there's no ETA for this update yet, however, we will definitely consider that.

Chris Hitchcock

Right. Consider actually making your software functional for professionals. Gee thanks.

Andy Lowen

Thank you Luminar for reactivating my trial for testing v4.1 given all the problems with 4.0.  Well, I am sorry to say, in my first day of testing again I ran into the same issue everyone else is reporting in this tread.  Please look at DxO as one example of how you can see the different clone areas (source and connected painted masks) and then, in turn, have the option to delete individual ones along the way.  OR at the very minimum, have the CTRL-Z active for deleting the last one.

Reiner Unke

Since we window user paid the same amount of money than mac users do we have the absolut right to get the same features. The lasso tool is also missing in the erase mode.

Every other software is able to do this undo/redo feature on windows for every single action so don't tell us about tech limitations. If other software companies are able to provide this feature then it's a sign that your developers might have some lack of knowledge or the software design of the clone and stamp / erase tool is really bad.

And that's what I believe and you are not willing to put the effort into this feature since this means a major program change.

Let us know what the reason is and what you are doing to solve this issue. And let us now WHEN it will be resolved.

Regards,

Reiner

Bill Rogers

Version 4.2 released.  Unfortunately the undo functionality is still not available in Erase and Clone & Stamp.  

I'm resisting adding more commentary....

Roger Osborne

I would have thought this function was much more important than Giraffes or planets . . . . . Luminar 4.2 is becoming a toy.

Chris Hitchcock

Giraffes, balloons and planets is what sells their software to the 80% of casual users the program is now obviously aimed at. Those users will probably never need the undo feature we pro users desperately need to use the software properly. So when v5 is released, I shall point a very deserved middle finger at Skylum when they want my upgrade dollars and continue using serious software like Lightroom.

Kenneth Comben

Totaly agree with this comment although i am pleased that they addresed the plugin problem and now allows back and forth to Aurora and other editing packages.cant understand why they cant fix the undo/redo problem though

Victoria Grace

Hi guys,

The undo/redo functionality is still planned for one of our future updates. We do appreciate all your patience and understanding on this matter.

Roger Osborne

Really Victoria, we have neither patience nor understanding; we have only frustration, disappointment and discouragement.  You launched this incomplete software in November . . . . .

John Lewis

I'm very new to Luminar 4 and it's astounding what it can do in seconds that can take hours in other photo editing software, but to discover that Ctrl+Z is missing while erasing and cloning actually beggars believe, it is a fundamental requirement (I found it didn't work somewhere else, but I can't remember where at the mo). I think as developers you've got so carried away with the amazing bells and whistles stuff, you forgot just how mind blowingly amazing Ctrl+Z is in normal workflow. Technical issue excuses are rather lame when it comes to the basics such as Ctrl+Z and selection tools. Come on Skylum, don't forget the core tools and get this corrected asap please!

Dominic Wong

Still waiting for the fix. When will it come 🙄

Ed Goodwin

I bought Luminar 4 a few days ago and was excited, having read several comparative reviews - then i discovered that Ctr-Z doesn't function in clone and stamp. I really find it almost impossible to believe that a function, that I have used over very many years in even simple and unsophisticated software, isn't functioning in Windows Luminar.

I am also disappointed that reviews have not covered this - so much for unbiased reviewers then. 

The fact is that this makes Luminar virtually useless except for limited situations. I consider that that it is dishonest and unethical marketing to sell a product that is known to be seriously hampered in this way. I now need to find an alternative editing solution . any recommendations Skylum community?

Why is this not a top priority for Luminar developers? 

Post is closed for comments.