27 comments

Henric Wangel

Luminar 3 ❤️ 

Luminar 4 | Can only show one menu.

Show, hide, show, hide, show, hide... 

Comment actions Permalink
    Helena Carter

Hi Henric,

We have decided to change the UI completely, however, I will forward your feedback to our developers.

Henric Wangel

Thank you Helena for fast response! 👍 Now I get really curious and nosey. Completely how? 🤗

Well this is fun. Different people at skylum saying different things. I'm getting told filters have been combined. Above says changed ui completely which is funny as all the marketing was directed towards two new functions, sky replacement and portraiture. Try loading a photo with a couple of faces in and you'll see how crackers this idea is but anyway, if skylum had given information on the reductive interface, many of us would not be raging at seeing the results of what we put down cash for during the previous release period. L3, why not upgrade to Luminar Essentials with Ai? Check out many of the YouTube threads, I'm not the only one else who feels hoodwinked into this downgrade. Pass on to yhe marketing department rather than the developers. That's where it's all gone wrong.

Alina Skylum

Please, check how the filters were changed and re-grouped here:

Where Are My Filters from Luminar 3?

https://media.macphun.com/uploads/uploads/skylum/pdf/Onboarding_Luminar_4_Blog_Post-2.pdf?_ga=2.97139615.1215044120.1573462186-605595603.1572517806

Henric Wangel

Only been trying with one face as in portrait. I can imagen that more faces requires an updated Ai face tool, maybe in 2.0 ?! 

Ok, that sounds bad. I havet been on the forums so much. But if different people at Skylum saying different things dosen't sound good at all. I though the forum was for help etc and every new info/updates was posted/informed via other channels such as e-mail, website, PM etc.

I like Luminar, but I hear more and more complains. For me it works fine. Both L3 and L4 but, missing the above regarding the menus.  I hade som problems with the Media library. but Skylum fixed that in version 3.1.xxx something. can't remember.

I hope that Luminar 4 will get all the love it deserves, so everyone can enjoy using it. I believe and hope that EVERYONE at Skylum works hard at it!

btw. L3 works fine in Catalina, whats all the fuzz about that? or is it L2, 32bit !?

Alina Skylum

We will add the ability to choose the Face to be edited in the future updates.

Indeed, the update for Luminar 3 was released (3.1.4) which made Luminar 3 Catalina compatible.

Henric Wangel

Thanks! Alina Skylum

My suggestion was not the grouping, only the option to show more than one tool/menu at a time.

I have not updated to 3.1.4, But works fine for me on 3.1.1 ?! Updating now. 👍

Jeanne Girard

yes, I am pulling my hair out over the new interface. I have printed out the 3 pages of where things are now from where they were in Luminar3

Hi Jeanne,

I suggest you put in for a refund like myself  and re-buy when Skylum sort out this utter mess of an application.

This is what you have to remember though according to Skylum...

'Upgrades are usually separate apps, sometimes with completely different tools and features. We didn't want to release an updated version of Luminar 3, but we wanted to make something new.' - Alina Skylum

Shouldn't have called it Luminar 4 then!

Henric Wangel

I don't know, but I think I speak for many here. This is what we would like to see in L4, GUI more like L3.
    I know this would be a faster workflow. + nice to have L4 groups. Maybe custom groups? Or just back to basic everything in a long list, just scroll, hide/show workflow. I work as a UX and Graphic Designer, If you like any help I am here 🤗🤭

!! This is just a fast draft !! 

I'd seconding that as a motion! That's is exactly what L4 should have looked like. My only other thing is why have some tools been deemed as portrait rather than something else? Orton effect was developed for landscapes not faces. Stick the old radiance, get rid of calling it mystical, Fog, orton, soft focus and similar into one group. It's like Skylum have focused on yhe sky replacement and skin retouch tools then built the entire interface around those two filters. Crazy.
    Great work on your revised interface. Hope that gets sent to the developers and they listen. I'm still waiting for my refund. Got in touch with support three times now as requested and a great big nothing.

MF Mika

I've been monitoring these feature requests and Skylum's response to that, giving them the benefit of the doubt before asking for a refund --- i also feel misled by a product i pre-ordered back in August.

I vouch for Henric's concept two replies above, but i'll add that i'd like to see something like that together with something like the Workspaces from Luminar 3 --- meaning, not only we may see the adjustments in multiple filters at once, but also we only see the filters that are currently applied.

David Kirtlan

I'm not getting on with the new interface. I find the old style interface from Luminar 3 much quicker to work with, accessing the layers is far clearer and the key fact, you can see what filters are enabled on each layer.

With the new UI it feels very over simplified for new users, and has forgotten more advanced users. 

The new groupings of the filters are less obvious, and I find myself having to search for filters I know are there as I've used them in previous versions of the software. There also seems to be some not there, where as the 'Brightness' filter gone?

I do think that the new UI needs a re-think, yes it looks prettier than the old one, but I do think it has really dumbed things down to the point where it will put off more advanced users. I jumped on to another machine yesterday that is still running versions 3, and it felt so much quicker to edit in, and much better thought through as a serious photo editor. 

duFer

I agree that the new UI is NOT working. (Were users asking for a new interface??? I know I was NOT.)

I'm all for the AI option, but also want the ability to control things myself. And I had a great workflow going in L3!

The inability to keep multiple filters "open" and what seems to be the inability to edit the "Essentials" menu (I never use BW conversion, for example. I don't want it in my Essentials group), is maddening.

My whole reason for using Luminar over Photoshop is speed and I hate the Lightroom UI. In other words, it's the UI that brought me to Luminar in the first place. Messing with it is messing with me and my workflow considerably.

kmk

I agree with you guys too.

Old interface was for quick workflow:

workplaces - best way to customize filters you really need

default workspace - huge timesaver too

filters catalog with search and favorites - now you must blindly click to find something you need

I thought that L4 will be better, but this is step backwards for more advanced users who wants better control.

And finaly make possible to adjust sliders with mousewheel please :)

Henric Wangel

Any news on this issue? Haven't followed the forum lately.

Kirk Osborn

Hi Henric.

Please don't consider this to be an issue.

We are constantly improving our apps and getting positive feedback from our customers. We are sorry to hear that you have such an unsatisfying experience using Luminar's new interface.

We'll make sure our apps only get better.

Henric Wangel

Hi Kirk!

Thank you! "Make Luminar (4) great again" =)

To me it's a mystery, that the new interface is a better interface then the old one? The workflow gets so much clicking to show (auto hide) edit-menus constantly. It's to me very frustrating. When I want do drag difference slides in different edit-menus, to compare the image and results.

Instead of just manually hide and show edit-menys, and a scroll and be able to show everything at once. Please make this option available as an active choice, at least, So all the users that like the Luminar 3 interface (and still use it) can go over to only use L4.

So all the new nice features in L4. But with the great L3 interface.

Can you please update this for us? It would be lovely! 

Best regards
    Henric

Henric Wangel

As above:

_____

Helena Carter

Hi Henric,

We have decided to change the UI completely, however, I will forward your feedback to our developers.

____

When will this be released? And will the interface look like L3?

Kirk Osborn

We have forwarded the message to our devs, but for now, they don't plan on changing the interface.

We will continue collecting feedback and sending it to the respective department. Please stay tuned.

Jeanne Girard

I agree, . I seems to me that the new interface slows me down. It would be much faster to edit, IMHO, if I could show all the components that I want to use

Henric Wangel

Thank you Kirk, but I strongly believe that the developers should not be the one who takes that decision. Please let the users be heard, and let the UX/Management of Skylum take this. Maybe that what you meant.

Also, maybe we could start a poll from users? I strongly believe that most of the users would appreciate L3's GUI against L4s. Thats why I tought you where to completely change the GUI?

So you first decided to change the UI completely, as of 2 mounts ago. Then changed that decision, back to not go that way? Why was't we users informed on the subject on the forum? That's why a I asked again today, after 2 months, to see how long the progress hade gone.

This is not they way to inform or treat your customers. Thanks again for collection feedback, that's much appreciated!

I Hope to here some good news soon.

Many thanks!
    Henric

Ondrej Pok

Count my vote in.

I am using L3 and shortly tried L4 trial, but I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

In L4 it is not possible to have multiple instances of the same filter, and this is what bothers me most. In L3 I can stack filters on top of each other as I wish.

Who at Skylum is making these decisions ? Do they even have an idea of photo postprocessing ?

Henric Wangel

Yes! If Skylum seriously want to compete with Lightroom and other software (that’s what I think Skylum wants), they will have to update/downgrade GUI to L3. OR as a above, the option to choose. “Pro” or “Amateur” GUI switch.

Carlos Familia

I agree with this. Bring back the old menu for advanced users.

Ashley Goble

I'm using the trial version of L4.  I have now found out you can't open more than edit tab at a time! Sorry but this is rubbish and it takes so much longer to do an edit having to jump around from one tab to another and back again. What were you guys thinking or NOT! I was going to buy it but now I'm looking elsewhere. Such a pity because it's faster than L3 and I do like the sky replacement. There goes what was my favorite edit software 100% downhill! Please fix this and I look again at getting it. ON1 here I come for the next year or two.
    " Please stay tuned" was six months ago. Yeah not going to happen! Goodbye to you.!

Please sign in to leave a comment.