AI Portrait - is it a joke?

Answered

Comments

19 comments

Peter Ilott

Andy H - for an interim measure (and I have not tried any portraits for myself yet) I would suggest using the masking brush tool to use on each individual face and see how that goes. I don't know enough about L4 yet to see what happens when you then select the other face.

See what happens anyway.

Comment actions Permalink
    Andy H

Hi Peter.  I tried using the edit mask function to mask out one of the faces and it didn't work. Great thought though, I appreciate your comment!.  Cheers.

Peter Ilott

G'day Andy, the mask function itself may not - but if you use the brush to selectively paint in the corrections in the place where you want it it should work. I use this function when editing my bird photos (at least in L3) and I just want to correct small parts of the whole image. It works there - but if it does not work like that in L4 portrait then there is a huge problem.

But see how it goes - unless this is the function you have already used.

Andy H

Howdy Peter! Looks like the masking tool for the Portrait Enhancer tab is not working at all.  I can make the adjustments, then normally to hide those adjustments you would invert the mask to black, then paint over white to reveal what you want as you say.  Doesn't do anything!  Looks like another bug to report to Skylum!

Peter Ilott

OK Andy, I am still not sure of what process you are using so maybe get in touch with Support to see what they come up with. I will dig out some old portrait shots and have a go myself to see what happens - but I have noticed that each person's system seems to do things a bit differently - what works for some doesn't work for others.

I will keep you posted.

Peter Ilott

Hey Andy, I just tried my old trusty brush on two faces in a photo and all adjustments take place on both faces even after I have painted over the only face I want adjusted. So it looks like you are correct!

It would seem that "portrait" means just a single face to the Skylum people!

Helena Carter

Hi Andy, Peter,

As to performance, the initial Luminar 4 release is devoted to new tools and features. Nevertheless, please note that the next quarter we will be working on the Luminar 4 performance and we will do our best to deliver the best editing experience to our customers and release a performance update by the end of the year.

Regarding AI Portrait Enhancer, indeed, it ignores the Mask while using Slim Face and Enlarge Eyes. We plan to implement the ability to choose the face for each slider.

Howard Lebowitz

Helena Carter I have been using L4 for the past week without any performance issues on 2017 iMac 27". Others are seeing problems on whatever Mac they are using. 

Have you read all the performance complaints in the Luminar 3 threads? Skylum is doing a real disservice to customers and potential new users by continually saying the phrase " will be working on the Luminar 4 performance and we will do our best to deliver the best editing experience to our customers and release a performance update by the end of the year."

This is exactly the same thing said to all those complaining about performance issues with L3.  L4 should never have been released until sufficient stress testing was done on as many machines as possible. Skylum's credibility will suffer greatly until you get this right. 

Thanks for listening.

Andy H

@Helena Carter. With the greatest respect to you, I’ve heard all this before with Luminar 3. As Howard stated above, similar performance issues where known to Skylum months ago, but Skylum went ahead and released Luminar 4 anyway. It’s clear Luminar’s beta testing is not rigourous enough and it’s left to the paying customer to fulfil that function.

For AI Portrait Enhancer - good news that you will further improve. Most other portrait software out there allows you to select individual faces, so this would be a welcome addition.

Andy H

@Peter Ilott. Thanks Peter! I appreciate your input.

Bob Picman

As far as performance is concerned Luminar 4 is a hog. I have an iMac Pro which runs all other apps with loads of reserve, but Luminar 4 it gets pushed to the limit as far as memory consumption goes. Running several apps at the same time can slow things down. On my MacBook Pro Luminar 4 is the only app that will make the fans spin in overdrive.

Sascha C.

I agree with Any. Performanc Issus are an issue of all new release of Luminar since the first Version. And always there is the same statement, that new tools / new interface / new Backend / new .... causes these issues. With any release of Luminar you invent the wheel and will sell us luminar as the best, hottest, coolest star in the raw processing software universe. But to be honest, I ask me where the benefit is compared to Luminar 3. Two new AI filter, less controll by your own (clarity removed for example), a less intuitive ui and feels slower.

Now you start to improve the performance of Luminar 4 and release Luminar 5 next year, completly new and re-designed as the best, hottest, coolest tool for raw processing but will tell us, that it is slow because everything has changed with Luminar 5. 

I not decided yet, but I really think about the option to request a refund.

Kate Williams

Hi everyone, 

Right now our techs are working on rather big updates targeting the speed of the app and the way it uses resources. We'll do our best to make things better. 

@Sascha, if you'd like to take advantage of our 30-day money-back policy, please, feel free to reach out to us via https://skylum.com/support.

Jeff Lambert

@AndyH, have you tried to use layers to work around your issue with the AI portrait filter? Duplicate your background layer and apply the AI portrait and keep your eye on only one face. Then reveal that face with the mask on that layer. Do the same thing with the second face and all should be good. The file will be bigger for sure, but at least you have a workaround.

HTH

Andy H

HI Jeff.  That should work as a stopgap, many thanks!  I think Skylum should have thought this through a little more.  Every other portrait software I know has the ability to select individual faces and apply edits separately on the same layer. So AI Portrait Enhancement is not that intelligent after all!

Katherine Wrenn-Maresh

This thread is very helpful and confirming some of my first impressions of L4. I was working on editing my wedding photos in L3 and paused until L4 was released, hoping that the portrait filter would make us all look as amazing as the ads led everyone to believe. I've been really underwhelmed by it though. Not only does it apply the same changes to multiple faces, but I have many photos where it doesn't even recognize that there is a face there, when it is clearly framed as a portrait.

Unimpressed by the new UI also - I've found some of my frequent manual filters hidden inside other filters, but I'm still searching for several. I'm with Sascha... not sure if L4 was worth the upgrade.

Bob Picman

IMHO the upgrade was not worth the money. The only thing I hope is that the flack they are getting on this website is such that they will react and get their act together in a quickly required update.

Andy H

Problem is Bob, they won’t. They got plenty of criticism for L3 and didn’t do much about it. They think distracting us with shiny new AI Filters (that don’t actually work that well if you really push them) and a new UI is enough to keep asking us for more money. Problem is a lot of folks are falling for it and as long as they do, Skylum will keep doing the same.

Bob Picman

Yes Andy, I am actually considering a refund.

Post is closed for comments.