Safe Cloud storage suggestions?

Comments

4 comments

Jeff Lambert

Hi shannon miller, I'm sorry you got caught:-( 

There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say, but I'll give you a couple of ways to go about it.

First, you're intentions where well funded with TimeMachine, but, you still have to verify that it's actually working and I look at it more like if I delete something but didn't want to delete it, or I save on top of something that I shouldn't have, then TM is there so I can go back in time to get my file. If your house burns down, your Time Machine will be useless too.

So, You also need a Clone of your whole drive, on a different drive then the Time Machine. I have a drive that has 4 partitions that have each a clone of my mac and that I rotate every week. So, the first of the month it's on Backup1, the 8th on Backup2, etc,... I use Carbon Copy Cloner for that and everything is automatic and the drive is mounted and ejected automatically not to cause problems with your running system. My Photos' library is on my main drive and is also on iCloud photo library so in the cloud and not physically in my house in case I get robbed or fall victim to fire.

Then, I have a Synology NAS, which has all my RAW photos and a bunch of other stuff. That is backed up on an External drive that I bring to work every time I make some big change on it. And it's back up on Microsoft OneDrive with Synology Cloud Sync. it's one-way sync to OneDrive. AND my RAW or also on Dropbox. So, I don't think I'm gonna lose my photos any time soon;-)

Maybe it's a bit extreme but like you, I got burn early in my computer days and I'm not taking any chances anymore. Last year I thought I was good with a daily clone and a TM, but my TM was on my NAS, it was corrupted, and my clone had already synced my problem with the system so I had to revert to a 3-month-old backup. Not good.

Anyway, hope this helps you a bit.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Shannon,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had some significant data loss! I think most of us have been there.

Jeff had some great suggestions, but I thought I'd share my setup as well.

My solution is to have (at least) three copies of my images. One working copy, one local backup, and one cloud (or offsite) backup.

Backup 1 - I use Time Machine. I keep my images on an external drive so you have to manually go into your time machine settings to make sure that Time Machine is backing up both your internal and external connected drives. External drives are automatically EXCLUDED so you have to go in the system preferences and make sure to change that. (Time Machine Preferences > Options)

Second - I use a service called Backblaze for automated cloud backup. It backs up my computer and all connected drives for a very reasonable price. I have had to retrieve data from them in the past and they are a lifesaver!

I hope that helps! If I can clarify anything, please let me know.

shannon miller

Jeff,  Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your procedures.  I am amazed and learned a lot.  I will make notes.  Thanks again.

shannon miller

Angela, Your info is appreciated - different from Jeff but appropriate as well.  Wow, I am lucky that both of you are there to help.

Please sign in to leave a comment.