Improving Portrait Enhancer's Ability to recognize a face?

Comments

6 comments

I'm 80% disliking it. My copy is extremely slow. Is your running without any lags?

Comment actions Permalink
    Sameer Saksena

Seems to me it doesn't recognize face if it isn't prominently large, as in a close-up shot. I am also facing issue with face not detected by portrait mode but the AI Skin enhancer works. Seems like a contradiction to me.

Stephen Hale

I agree, Sameer. 

I've noticed what you described. I've also noticed something else that's a bit curious.

On some photos, the lip detection seems to work, even though other parts of Portrait Enhancement won't work. 

I think all of these things are detected independently. 

My perception of a rough order of accessibility is:
    VERY OFTEN USABLE
    Skin Enhancer

Eye Enhancement (whitening, etc)

Lip Enhancement

Make Eyes Bigger

Slim Face

LESS OFTEN USABLE

Roughly speaking, of course. 

I think that means the AI that literally makes eyes larger, or faces slimmer, depends on quite a bit more specific data, whereas skin enhancement is much more comfortable recognizing skin.

At least, that's my thoughts two days in.

Stephen Hale

@Member:
    Yes, many people are noticing this. 
    Some folks find it improves if you make your cache larger (in Preferences, at least on macOS). 

Others have noticed that it really slows down after you edit two or three photos. That seems like something that one might be able to work around. I've found this to be true. When I initially open the program, it works at a speed vaguely approaching Lightroom. However, the longer it is open, the slower it gets.

-Stephen

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Our tech team is already investigating these issues and they'll try to fix them in one of the next updates. Please stay tuned.

Gabriele Carubini

Thanks Kirk, it's very sad seen that only few faces in a photo are really works.

Please sign in to leave a comment.