Luminar 4 as Lightroom plugin - no metadata and capture time

Answered

Comments

55 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Please access Luminar 4 from Adobe Lightroom in the following way:

Right-click on the image > Export > Export to Luminar 4 > You have an option to Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to Luminar 4, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

After applying adjustments in Luminar 4 your photo should appear in Lightroom's Catalog > All Photographs. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Thomas Aumüller

good finding.

Bruno Bartscher

Correction for case two: When I use "Exportieren - Luminar 4 - Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments" and save the Luminar adjustments, the resulting picture does contain the Lightroom keywords and the name of the author of the picture, but all other IPTC data and all EXIF data are completely missing, including the capture time. When I set the capture time manually in LR, LR suggests the time of file change. That was the reason why I first thougt, the capture time was set to edit time.

Ken Welsh

I also am losing IPTC data when I edit a photo in Luminar 4.  Headline, Description, Keywords,City,State/Province,Country.

As I write IPTC data into my RAW files each night as I travel, and develop the RAW when I get home in Photoshop 20.0.1 on a Mac using OS Mojave, this means double the work.  Needs fixing quick or for some categories of work the program is useless.

C Theisinger

Same for the Mac version. Loss of capture date/time is the most annoying.

I am using Lightroom, "Edit in Luminar 4", the resulting PSD or TIFF which gets shipped to Luminar has all the metadata. What comes back from Luminar does not have it any more. Capture date/time is not Edit date/time.

A major limitation for me a I don't wish to mess up my Lightroom catalog.

Bruno Bartscher

Thank you Kirk,

but that doesn't solve the problem with the lost metadata. Perhaps it is a bit helpful for C. Theisinger, but the problem that I have described, occurs when I do what you have proposed.

C Theisinger

Thank you. I understand the workflow between Lightroom and Luminar. But I suppose Luminar should not wipe out the metadata of every image I edit in Luminar. Let me explore how to log a software bug that we get it fixed asap.

Ken Wong

I am seeing this issue as well, when using Luminar 4 as an editing plugin to Lightroom Classic 9. The edited TIF file will not have any metadata, and the capture time is not written properly. The result is that when sorting the pictures by capture time in Lightroom, the edited picture is always first in order, as if it has the earliest capture time - my guess is that the missing capture time is interpreted as 0.

Currently, this is how I work around it:

1. do a metadata sync between the original RAW and the edited TIF, ensuring that Date Created is synced
    2. select only the TIF and go into the Edit Capture Time dialog (Metadata menu -> Edit Capture Time). The synced Creation Date should be the capture time displayed. Click Change without altering the value, and the Capture Time metadata gets written, and the image should then move to the correct sort position in the catalog.

This gets the correct outcome, but to have to do this for every image edited with Luminar, is very frustrating.

Ken Wong

Further observation, consistent with an earlier poster: 

I just selected a photo in Lightroom and tried to edit it in Luminar 4 through the plugin. As part of the process, LR creates the TIF file and adds it to the catalog (and collection, if initiating the edit in a collection's context). At this point, the capture time and metadata are all present. If I cancel the edit, the metadata remains correct. The incorrect metadata and missing capture time occur when I hit Apply in Luminar, so it seems that Luminar is dropping the metadata or overwriting it with blank/incorrect values when writing the edits back to the TIF.

Jean-Paul Adans

Same problem here. Thanks Ken, your workaround is very useful. Some more observations from my side:

My environment: Win10 (1909), Lightroom Classic 9.0. My workflow uses dynamic collections based on keywords and star ratings.

I added Luminar4 as an external editor, to be accessed by right-click on the pic > Edit In.

So my alternatives for using Luminar4 from LR are:

1. Right Click > Edit In: you loose the metadata, keywords, star ratings. So the edited pic is not visible in the collection,  have to go back to the folder and fix that. Ken's workaround works great, but strangely LR still shows the wrong capture time (but sorts correctly). That's a minor thing...
    2. Plugin Extras > Transfer to Luminar 4: Metadata is preserved, except keywords and star ratings. So again back to the folder. But TIF does not automatically appear there, must sync folder, import the edited pic, add keywords.

So I must say I like Luminar 4 but using it is unnecessarily cumbersome.

It really seems that developers don't try to use their software as a real user would do (I'm in IT, this is a common problem :-().

You guys should look at how Topaz does it. None of this. Just edit and back to LR... (Ok, I know, they have other issues...)

If I missed something and others have found the right way to do this without all this hassle, please share

Mike S

I see the same problem, and the comment labeled as the "answer" doesn't address the metadata issue. 

An alternative to Ken Wong's workaround is to first go from Lightroom to Photoshop.  Then use the Luminar plugin in Photoshop.  And then return to Lightroom.  Photoshop correctly returns all the original metadata.  As a bonus, its easy to do multiple Luminar edits as separate layers.

Its still an extra step, and would be nice to see the root problem fixed.

Henry Johnson

Here is workaround, go to the Library Module, right click the edited file, choose "Metadata", click on "Choose Metadata from file". This will bring back original Metadata. Hope this helps.

Matthias Götzke

This is so annoying...

Ron Woll

So when is the fix coming???

Dean Salman

yes a fix is needed, not a good bug to have if you are trying to push a software product, just saying

I join the team. This bug, if it is such, is frustrating. If it is a "feature" of the software, it renders the software almost useless. I have used Lightroom from the very beginning and cannot afford to loose metadata when using Luminar as an external editor. Just like the others I use capture time, ratings and all that in the metadata, in organizing my collection. You can play with Luminar with single pictures every now and then for fun, but cannot use it in productive work if the bug (or feature?) is not corrected. Have also informed Skylum suppor of the problem. This has been known for a while (the earlier comments in this thread are months old) and there seems to be no comment from Skylum here. I think they should at least comment the issue.

Dean Salman

I am not having this issue when I use export with or without Lightroom edits.   Using Edit in Luminar does loose the meta data, still a problem.   Using export seems ok  Using LightRoom Classic 9.2

Thanks Dean,

I did not come to think that these to ways could have a different outcome, but they indeed have. Strange still it has not been commented from skylum, although the posts in this thread have been there three months, and there are other threads of the same issue. Thanks anyway.

Kari

Jean-Paul Adans

Well this "feature" isn't really new. I tested with Luminar 3 and Flex which are still around on my PC, and they behave the same way.

Anybody listening at Skylum?

Margaret Bright

Hi everyone,

Please note that there's already a pinned comment in this thread, where my colleague has recommended invoking the plugin with the Export option.

Our team is aware of the issues with EXIF data loss when using Luminar 4 as a plugin and working on a fix. Unfortunately, there's no ETA on this matter yet, but in the meantime please try invoking Luminar as a plugin with the Export option.

Yep, you in Luminar should only clearly state that the plug-in option does not work. Would save many frustrations. There are other plug-ins, which work only as plug-in Export. They only do not show in Edit plug-ins.

Kari

Jose Martinez

This starting to become a deal breaker and must be fixed. If I am editing one or two pictures, it is not a huge deal to copy the metadata in Lightroom. But, it is too cumbersome, c'mon Skylum get this fixed! 

Austin Miller

Hi Jose. We are working around the clock to fix this issue. We will issue a fix in one of the future updates.

Francesco Sartori

Hi there,

I'm here just to say my words about this issue.

I'm actually working on my Austrialian roadtrip photos.I shot them with Canon 5Dmk3, Gopro, Oneplus5T. I've organized them all on my lightroom catalog by folder and ordered by capture time.

Obviously canon, gopro and op5t have different nomenclature for file names, that's why I ordered them by timestamp.

Now, when I open a pic on luminar and save it, it goes on top of my library because timestamp is lost and its "capture time" is saving time. Kinda sad... and weird. 

Of course, you might say "sad as**ole! you'd have renamed all files sequentially instead of keeping three different nomenclatures" ... and you'd be right, but I didn't. Even cause I like original names =(

Even If I'd move my workflow entirely to luminar there'd be this issue. I NEED to order my pics by capture time, not by file name.

You should definitely implement XMP support. Basic info would be good enough to go (timestamp, location, lens and camera infos), but making luminar files "quite compatible" between other applications using XMP would be a freaking goal for luminar to outstand above other softwares.

Anyway, that was only my opinion. One in a thousand....

Have a great day guys,
    and keep on developing awesome stuffs!

Cheers,
    Francesco

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Francesco Sartori,

We do appreciate your input. Thank you very much for sharing!

Indeed, this will be great addition to Luminar products. We will do our best to implement this in future updates. Please, bear with us and stay tuned. Thank you.

Stephan Knull

@Margret Bright: I tried both ways to edit a photo from lightroom in Luminar. The only difference between the two is, that the export version does not automatically stack the original and the edited image.The edited picture has no meta data except IPTC creator and Artist - everything else is wiped out!

As I work with multiple camera bodies I really need to sort by capture date in lightroom - this is not a "nice to have feature" for me! Syncing metadata in lightroom does not solve the issue either as it only syncs the IPTC metadata and not the EXIF stuff.

Please priorize this annyoing bug now as it is very old now and fixing it is more important than the next new feature (I am a developer myself and know that implementing new features is a lot more attractive than fixing bugs, but anyways...)

[EDIT] I have now found a workaround which works for me, works on my machine...

• Use the "edit in... Luminar 4" approach to work with the photo in Luminar
    • Apply your changes in Luminar
    • Then the original and edited photos will be stacked and the edited copy will have no metadata
    • Select both photos within the group
    • Go to Menu /Metadata/Edit capture time...
    • You will see the capture time to be filled out correctly from the original photo (as the other one selected has not the field)
    • Just hit the "Change all" button and you are done

Unfortunately you will still have to follow that procedure for each photo group separately

Kind Regards,
    Stephan

Francesco Sartori

Stephan, I quote every single word.

C Theisinger

Just got the notification from the last post. The thread started 7 months ago and I can’t believe it is not fixed!! Such a simple bug. Metadata is very important for my workflow. I can’t work without metadata, but I can work without Luminar. Not using it any more.

Francesco Sartori

I bought luminar 3 and then, when luminar 4 came out, I bought the upgrade to sustain the development.

This is not a bug, this is a MANDATORY missing feature. Replacing sky, placing ray beams was important, huh? Nice features, good hype, plenty of sells (I suppose...) but still luminar it's not yet as good as lightroom to manage and organize albums.

You want to fight competitors on image editing? Well, back to the basics... METADATA is fundamental. I have plenty of shots  on the same travel album that I want to fix with Luminar, because it's become quite fast compared to origins, but I can't loose infos on every export. I need to manage pics based on camera, lens, datetime etc... shouldn't be that hard to implement one of the many free open source ExifTool available.

I'm opening Luminar weekly, hoping to see a software update with metadata implementation on its changelog.
    That day will come...

Stephan Knull

Hi folks, please have a look at my update above as I have worked out a workaround for now (which will only work as I do additional edits in Luminar occasionally...

I can only second Francescos comment: Not interacting properly is a showstopper for Luminar in my workflow and I will stop using it and recommending it if it will not be fixed soon.

[Edit] Ah by the way: If we hit cancel, we do not want a _edit copy please remove it in that case.

Please sign in to leave a comment.