survey on Luminar 4

Comments

18 comments

Stephen Warriner

Wow! You are the lucky one.  I have a question for you.  When I have nothing running on my computer my CPU runs 0-1%.  When I open Luminar 4 my CPU runs at 22% and up.  And it stays at 22%+ for as long as L4 is open. That is just open, not doing anything. When I close L4, it drops back down.  By contrast, if I open Lightroom, Photoshop and Luminar 2018 my CPU only uses 4%.

I am hopeful that you will post results when you open Luminar 4.  I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and open task manager. Then click on Options in the lower left. Then the Performance tab. The graphic stays low, until I open L4 it then spikes to 100% and settles to about 22%+ and I am not touching my computer. It stays there. Until I close L4.

What are your results?

Comment actions Permalink
    Barry Buehler

L4 pegs the cpu at 100% when opened (I guess it is doing something with the catalog).  The quickly comes down to under 20%.  Then after 30 sec or so, settles in at 1%-2%.  What are you running ?

Barry Buehler

I then closed L4 and reopened.  It topped out much lower (about 20%) until settling back to 1-2%.

My background cpu was about 10-20% due to other stuff I had running.

Stephen Warriner

Hi Barry-

Thanks for your reply.  On your first graphic it says L4 using 1.1% however above the CPU usage is 27%.  On your second graphic the usage never goes below 20% and looks like mine until I shut down L4.  What does your graphic look like when you shut down L4?

Attached is my graphic with L4 on and off. As you can see it goes from 1% back to 1%.  I just got an update and installed it.  This graphic is a little more wavy after the update. Pre-update it looked more like yours.

Barry Buehler

My background cpu usage was about 20% with L4 not running.  L4 added a negligible amount. 1-2%.  Look at the very left hand edge of my graph.   That was before I opened L4.

Barry Buehler

I did it again and captured this from task manager.  It is ordered by cpu usage.  L4 less than 2%

Once again - what are you running ? W10 what version ?  how much ram?  what cpu ?  ssd or hdd ?  etc.
    we will solve nothing if we don't get this data.

Stephen Warriner

Core i7 8550U

16 Gigs of RAM

SSD Drive

Windows 10 Home version 1903

Attached graphic is with Lightroom, Photoshop and Luminar 2018 open the whole time. Once they opened CPU usage settled down to 3-4%.

They did something to Luminar between version  2018 and version 3.  It has not been right since for many users. I edit real estate photos so I will keep L4 but only use it as a sky replacement plugin.

Barry Buehler

Well, you have plenty of resources.  I am grasping at straws here.

• What ssd or hdd is your page file on?
    • Do you have multiple versions of Luminar installed.
    • Do you have a super big number of photos in your Luminar catalog
    • Have you tried a reinstall 

Sorry you are having problems.  I guess I am lucky (so far).  Hope you figure it out, because I really like L4.

Stephen Warriner
    • What ssd or hdd is your page file on? Only have an SSD.
    • Do you have multiple versions of Luminar installed. One 2018 and 1 L4.
    • Do you have a super big number of photos in your Luminar catalog. None, I don't use the catalog. I remove all photos after editing them.
    • Have you tried a reinstall.  No, but I just installed an update.
    Barry Buehler

Best of luck.

JORGE JESUS SAINZ CASALLA

Wow, I can give you an answer when Luminar 4 does not have so many crashes and let me try it well

Barry Buehler

JORGE JESUS SAINZ CASALLA - you are exactly the type of user who should post what your computer resources consist of.  How else will people track down the problem(s)?   L4 crashes don't stop you from posting here (obviously).

• cpu
    • ram
    • ssd
    • hdd
    • etc etc

Ok no problem my laptop is

Acer Predator Helios 500,

Corei7-8750H 

16GB RAM,

NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 - 8gbVRAM

SSD256Gb Intel/1tbHDD Toshiba

Windows 10 Home

Version 1903

OS build 18362.476

It's ok now?

Stephen Warriner

Jorge-

Would you be willing to post a CPU usage? Close all programs, Open Task Manager Performance page, get a baseline then open L4 let it run for 30 seconds, then close L4.  Is L4 using 20% or more of your CPU just by being open?

Ctrl+Alt+Del and open task manager. Then click on Options in the lower left. Then the Performance tab.

J Liddle

L4 is unusably slow to open.

System:-

Win 10 Pro 1903 up-to-date

i5-4430 3.0Ghz

24GB RAM

Program is on SSD

Graph of CPU usage during opening (only other major program running is Norton in the background) below and YES it DOES take approximately 2 minutes to open!!!

I despair!

UPDATE - Additional testing shows L4 only takes about 20 seconds to load when invoked as a Lightroom plugin.

Some thing is WRONG!

Nicholas Richardson

J Liddle - Out of interest, when is the last time you reset or reformatted your Windows installation?

I'm running W10 Home (1809) and refreshed my install 5 months ago. L4 opens up in about 7 seconds for me. 

That said, I'm running an i7-6700k @4.0GHz (Not Overclocked, so it's at stock speeds  with the standard "CPU Boost" of 4.40Ghz)

16GB DDR4 RAM (I wonder if L4 doesn't like DDR3 RAM, which the pre-6k series Intels used)

I've also got Windows and L4 on a Samsung 950 PRO M.2 on the PCI-E bus, and the files it's accessing on a larger Crucial MX500 (SATA 3, so full 550+ MB/S read). What SATA Ports are you using? If you have it on a SATA 2 port, your maximum speed will only be 250-300MB/S, even if the advertised speed on the SSD in question is 500+ MB/S. Bottlenecks in the Motherboard often cause many of the headaches on slower than expected PCs. 

That's not to say I don't get crashes. I've had it a couple of times today seem fine, then when I go to export it simply hangs up and doesn't export the image. L4 won't let me do anything else, except zoom in, and it'll process the image fine, but nothing else. 

CPU Usage goes to 100% when opening, you can clearly see the spikes below. L4 does also love to nom on RAM. You can see that it spiked up from around 5GB of usage to 7.3 GB. 

Birgit Herlemann

Hallo, auch ich bin sehr enttäuscht. Das Jahr geht zu Ende, von dem versprochenem Update keine Spur. Arbeiten mit L4 ist unmöglich. 20-40 Sek. Raw bis es benutzt werden kann, 1 Min. 1 fertiges Foto exportieren. Mit LR und Photoshop habe ich das nie. Katalog auf 10 Raw begrenzt.Das Programm könnte so gut sein, ja wenn man damit arbeiten könnte. Nun 7 Wochen in Betrieb und es ändert sich nichts. Wollte es nicht zurück geben,da ich auf ihre Versprechen gehofft hatte. Tja, hoffen bleibt, sonst war es das mit L 4.

Windows 10, Neuinstallation, dann L4 installiert, Grafikkarte Open GL 4.5, Intel i7 3.770, 16 GB RAM, Installiert auf SSD Festplatte. Wie alle anderen schreiben, CPU und Ram!

if you want or can, take a look to Capture One, trust me, you don't regret, Like you, I expect Luminar's be fixed, and I am only from the few stupid people who believe there is hope for humanity.

Please sign in to leave a comment.