Luminar 4 Portraits Issue

Comments

9 comments

Brad Brown

I'm having the same issue. The whole reason I bought the software, and it doesn't do anything... feeling frustrated.

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Nielsen

I tested this feature on two different kind of portraits pictures. The first one went fine. The model was close to the camera as a typical portrait picture is. All features was usable.
    The second one was with the model placed farther away beside a tree. Here the feature was not active.
    I guess there have to be portrait informations enough in the picture to trigger the function. Just like that the Sky replacement doesn’t work if there is no sky.

Kelly Morris

I've had the same issue with portraits.  If it is not a close-up portrait, the AI doesn't work on the facial features.  If the subject fills the frame, the AI works very well for me.  I'm also having issues using L4 as a plug-in with Lightroom Classic.  I can send a photo from LR Classic to L4, then make all my edits, but when I click "Apply", the L4 edits do not come back with the file to LR Classic.

Stephen Hale

That's also my experience. It doesn't seem to quite need it to fill the frame (I have some torso & up images that work), but...it needs the faces to be VERY prominent.

Or is it detail? That is, if I was using a 40MP camera instead of a 24MP camera, would the extra detail in the face help Luminar work better here?

Brad Brown

What would be helpful would be if Luminar indicated in some way that it the AI has actually detected a face, or sky, or whatever, so you'd know if the sliders would actually do anything. Either that, or make the sliders non-functional until it actually finds that portrait.

anne shields

@stephen hale

I’m using a 45+ mp camera; so no, it doesn’t help.  

Stephen Hale

Welp. That's helpful to know. Thanks Anne!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

The AI will have trouble detecting a face that only takes up a small percentage of the frame or is partially obstructed. If you're encountering an issue that you think the AI should recognize, please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so we can look into it. Thanks in advance!

anne shields

Angela Andrieux  On the Skylum support link, which set of options should we select to report the issue?  I tried selecting feature request, but that link doesn’t work, at least not for Ipad ios.  The main issue for this feature is that when the AI cannot detect the face, the user doesn’t receive any indication.  The user can move around the sliders to no effect.  In my case, the face was a small percentage of the frame but there is plenty of resolution and data due to the raw file size.  It doesn’t bother me that the AI didn’t recognize the face as much as the lack of notification to the fact.  I can always go into photoshop and perform portrait retouching there but it’s just another step, I prefer to avoid for quick fixes.

Please sign in to leave a comment.