Luminar 3 and Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

11 comments

Zoltan Puskas

That's my question too. Can I delete Luminar 3 now that I have version 4?

Comment actions Permalink
    anne shields

From my initial investigations, you should keep Luminar 3 while you look into Luminar 4.  Luminar 4 is not a superset of functionality of Luminar 3. 

Thomas Nequette

There is no cost issue here, that is for sure. Just functionality. I do not want two programs with even slightly different interfaces doing the same thing. The Roadmap for L3 was published and catalog improvements, for example, were included. Will these port to L4. Getting all your plans into one program/path would be wonderful. Great stuff!

Thomas Nequette

I also found it interesting that the desktop icons for L3 and L4 are identical.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thomas,

Luminar 3 and 4 have different interfaces, and some differences in the toolset. Our goal with Luminar 4 is for it to replace Luminar 3, but if you wish, you can leave both installed for as long as you wish.

When you first launch Luminar 4 you'll have the option to open up an existing library from Luminar 3. This will copy the library and upgrade to work with Luminar 4 and will include all of your previous edits.

Lynne Pariseau

Angela, I did not get this option when I upgraded from 3 to 4!!  I believe I manually moved them all - it would have been much easier if I could have done it automatically.   Why am I getting all these old posts today?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lynne,

I replied to you in this thread: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007065880

Guy Hammond

Hi Angela

I’ve just purchased Luminar 4 and used the option you described above to copy and upgrade my Luminar 3 library.

Everything seems to work fine in L4 but if I now open L3, I find that most menu items are greyed out and, whilst I can see thumbnails of my images I can’t actually edit anything or even right click to locate the file in the Finder. I’ve tried restoring the L3 library from a backup but the issue persists.is this normal behaviour for libraries that have been migrated to L4?

Margaret Bright

Hi Guy,

Could you please specify if the folders are greyed out or the editing tools?

Do you see a Lost Edits folder in the shortcuts menu?

Guy Hammond

Hi Margaret

Yes, there is a lost edits folder but it only contains 7 images. All other folders contain images and I can view them in thumbnail form and even zoom in and out. 

However, nearly all menu items are all greyed out, both in the main menu and in contextual menus. Therefore, I am unable to perform many commands. See attached screenshot.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Guy,

Yes, it is normal behavior that your library will be migrated to Luminar 4 once you've installed and launched it.

However, you should still be able to open the non-upgraded version of your library in Luminar 3.

If everything is working smoothly in Luminar 4 and you are happy with it, then there should be no reason to use Luminar 3. However, if you need to access Luminar 3 for some reason please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so we can investigate the issue.

Please sign in to leave a comment.