Luminar 4 portrait not working

Answered

Comments

36 comments

• Official comment
    Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

There might be some issues with recognising the face on the photo. 

However, these issues might be specific to the images you use therefore we ask you to send us the files via http://www.skylum.com/support  so we could investigate every case and report it to our developers. 

Here's how you can send us files:

•    Visit https://wetransfer.com/ 
    •    If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    •    Click Add your files.
    •    Select the file(s) on your computer.
    •    After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    •    In Send As select Link.
    •    Click Transfer.
    •    After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Your cooperation and patience are highly appreciated. 

Comment actions Permalink

same happened to me!  Fine in trail version but not in paid version which I have just activated... How do we fix this, Skylum?

Sandy Silvestri

Same thing happening to me. 

Pablo-NM

Not sure what to make of it. I can't figure out why adding the activation code disables key features that worked previously in the trial version.

Everything global works, but nothing selective seems to function (portrait). But in all honesty, I can't see a significant change to any kind of AI skin enhancement either.

Im on a fairly new Windows machine, win 10 i7 8 core, m2 drive, w/ 64 GB ram. I'd be curious to see if it's a win vs Mac thing??

Leah Messer

Really hoping they respond to this soon

TELA Yiu

It seems that the AI portrait will grey out  and the slider below it will have no response when it can't detect a face.

I tried another photo with larger and face front photo seems work. But seems it can't work with multi face.

I got the activation code but failed to activate for unknown reason, so it seems work under trial. 

Sandy Silvestri

This doesn't seem to be just a "portrait" issue, seems to not be working with many of he sliders. I did see the histogram change with some of the sliders but the picture didn't adjust. Hope they fix it soon as I only had the trial version of version 3 and it has expired.

TELA Yiu

I had some case is the face detection is on other object, not the face.

1 of my photo is I saw the cloth turn brighter when I move the face light slider.

Hope there is option to let us point out where is the face just similar to most of other apps.

Bob Gingg

Same problem here absolutely no Portrait control from the sliders. Nothing changes. I tried to crop closer on face but still no control. Please address!

I have exchanged fb messages with Skylum, commented on their fb page and also on this community forum.  Eventually after a few exchanges I was told that the Skylum employee did not work on windows issues so I should contact support.  Round and round we go....

Pericles Antoniades

I have the same problem too.But some photos work ok some not without any logical explanation.I've asked Skylum if there are some criteria which should be noticed if  work or not in a photo the enhacer sliders

Alina Skylum

Hi Everyone,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and send us the images you encountered these issues with. Please, send them via wetransfer.

Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the Support Contact form provided.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

avdhesh pande

Same issue to me...portrait mode does not work at all. 

chris hunt

Come on Skylum!
    It seems that this is a big problem as reported by many users.
    I have the same problem.
    You need to sort this as I am testing this for my camera club.

Vincent Le Pes

Same problem here, none of the portrait controls work at all except Orton effect. Doesn't even detect faces when I manually mask them in. It's failed on three group photos as well as one single-person portrait. I have yet to have it work on a single image. I've tried a few of them as TIF and also the same photo raw file, same (lack of) result. I will send images through WeTransfer for review.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
    MacBook Pro 2019 15"
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i9
    32GB 2400 MH DDR4
    Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB

chris hunt

Having tried a few images it would appear that the face has to make up a large part of a picture before the portrait sliders have any effect.
    In full body shots it has no effect but it works on head and shoulder shots.
    In Lightroom I am able to do much more.
    I hope that other features in the program are better.

Vincent Le Pes

I found images for which it works, it seems like the face has to be pretty large relative to the canvas, but that's just a guess based on my experience so far. Any time the face is small in the frame, single portrait or group, it fails to work. I am using 50mp source files and well-lit people looking directly at camera, so there is plenty of obvious facial detail for it to find. PortraitPro finds all the faces without any problems on the same images, and when your facial algorithm works it seems to do a good job without guidance, so I suspect there is more to it than simple lack of facial recognition but who knows. Hope this detail helps, still waiting on WeTransfer upload to provide an example.

Vincent Le Pes

chris hunt I just saw your message, I can confirm that seems to be my experience as well.

Vincent Le Pes

That is to say: works on head and shoulders shots, fails on full body or groups...pretty consistently, so far. I hope this ends up being an easy fix because I could really use this feature to speed up my workflow!

amichay amitay

It doesnt work for me even in head and shoulders images.

It might be since the hair was partly over the face, but Luminar face detection seem to be under par.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you.

amichay amitay

Hi Kirk,

I did send a couple of email messages to your support about this (as well as crashes issues and some additional smaller issues). Did not get any response yet :(

The crashes and the fact that portrait mode do not work for 90% of my portrait images are the most annoying though.

andy harding

I am having the same issue as many of you, once there is more in the scene other than one head the AI don't seem to be able to tell where the face is when there is a full-body in the image. So it's back to my old workflow with PS Liquify...hopefully, this is fixed soon cause its the only reason I purchased.

Morten Petersen

Same problem here

Ygor Benjamim

Can confirm, when there's more than one face in the shot or its a full body photo the AI struggles to detect the face. Hope an update is in the way.

Pablo-NM

Update....

After using Luminar for several days, I can confirm that most enhancements are inoperative unless the face is front and centered in the image. A full length or even two-thirds pose doesn't seem to work. I am also have problems when the subject is off centered, in something of a rule of thirds composition.

Anyone found a work around for this issue? any word from Skylum on a fix? Sadly, this is the primary reason I purchased Luminar .

However, I have also found time to play with some of the other functions of Luminar 4, Which I have found surprising and quite useful.

Edit...

And why is it not possible to manually select the face in a full body image? Is this possible and I've just missed it? I've tried using the mask and it just plain doesn't do anything...

amichay amitay

Hi Pablo,

I also noticed that almost everything inhibits portriat recognition (hat, hair, slightly not front face). I even tried coping the image to Photoshop, cropping just the head, and operating Luminar 4 as plugin, and it still did not work most of the time. Face identification algorithms today are managing easily much more difficult scenarios but Luminar4 is failing identifying even the easiest images.

The worst is that Skylum does not respond to support messages, threads, etc, Do not specify what they are doing about it and when and do not offer discount for us working as their beta-tester.

Hope they will communicate better in the next few days.

Richard Detwiler

Hello all,

Same issue here, plug in, stand alone, RAW image, JPEG, Tiff.  I use a Mac with Catalina.  I contacted support, haven’t heard anything.  It did work in the trial version.

Richard

Elena Blum

Hi Richard,

Someone from our support team will be in touch with you as soon as possible. We're experiencing a very high volume of questions about Luminar 4 so it might take us a bit longer than usual to respond.

Vicky Kettell

Hi Im having issues with the portrait mode as well :-(.  Can't get it to work with one person in the image at all & definitely doesn't work at all with multiple people in the same shot.  Ive the same image with 2 other portrait applications & both instantly recognise the face & skin. - Help !

Post is closed for comments.