Lens correction tool

Comments

14 comments

Wolfgang Jarcik

Comment actions Permalink

Thanks.

But for me it's not useable. It makes a picture-noise-pudding out of my pictures.

Skip Thomas

Ah ha!  There it is!  Thank you!

Eric

Picture-noise-pudding sounds delicious! 😋

Bob Picman

Serious photo software (think C1, DxO, LR) has correction modules for all the various lenses. Luminar just has a rough correction of pincushion or barrel distortion.

Eric

@Bob, are you saying that L4 does not have lens correction beyond pincushion and barrel distortion? I haven’t yet tried L4, so I’m curious to know. L3/Flex does definitely have lens distortion correction, just like C1 and others but it’s located in the second editing tab. It would be very unfortunate if they got rid of lens correction in L4.

Bob Picman

Eric, I am not sure. I just could not find anything. In C1 and also DxO when you use a particular lens then the software will recognize this lens and state its name somewhere in a correction panel. All I could find here were some manual tools for lens correction. It is possible that there is something under the hood but that I do not know. Clearly if that is the case it is a bad implementation as you want to know that the correct lens correction profile is being used, so you want to see your lens mentioned.

Eric

Bob Picman, I see, maybe it's a bit hidden like in L3/Flex but the "Lens Distortion" option under the "Lens" tab has worked pretty well for me so far.

Since this is in Flex, there isn't really any lens data displayed but it seems to recognize my lenses and apply a decent correction. Despite it being Fuji and not one of the big 3 (CaSoNikon).

So yeah, I hope they kept this functionality in L4 as well, wherever it may be hidden. :) 

Bob Picman

This is all I can find on lens correction.

Eric

Oh wow, that really doesn’t look promising. Thanks for sharing, Bob.

Eric

Bob, just found in another thread that someone posted a screenshot with automatic lens correction: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006684739-Lense-correction-goes-wrong-Nikon

The fact that it’s not showing for you probably means that your lens isn’t supported. It’s just terrible UI that doesn’t indicate this. What lens are you using?

Bob Picman

Zeiss Batis and Zeiss-Sony. They should be supported but without visual feedback who knows!

Bob Picman

Actually the fact that the pictures of this other user are bent out of proportion proves they probably only have a rather elementary system. In order to do it right you have to have the ability to use, at least temporary, every single lens to do testing and measuring. That's how DxO and C1 worked.

Eric

Right, C1 and DxO do manual measurements which provides excellent results but is time consuming and is the reason why they exclude certain lenses because there’s not enough “demand”. C1 especially, they only add popular lenses. For anything else, they go by the number of support requests. If there aren’t enough ppl submitting requests, your lens won’t ever be added.

I would hope there are other less involved methods to get a basic automatic correction done. Not sure how ON1 handles this but it usually works pretty well for the lenses I tried.

Please sign in to leave a comment.