Comments

20 comments

That's the joy of Luminar 4 apparantly. Everything you used to do in Luminar 3 has been ditched. Don't worry though, you can replace all your skies. It's depressing.

Comment actions Permalink
    Guy McLoughlin

Kirk, it's all still there but it's been moved around to different menus. I am hoping that a future Luminar 4 update will allow for custom menus where you can place all of the common tools that you use in your own menu. ( right now it looks like you have to jump around in a bunch of menus to access all the different filters )

Hiya Guy,

I wish it were so. Someone else has counted 26 of the previous Luminar filters missing. One that I have noticed is no longer there is the channel mixer, not the thingy for black and white but the RGB one in L3 that I used extensively for IR work. Skylum have told me that filters have been combined or removed for stability reasons, I'm not really buying that. Glows and softs seem to have been combined so if you want to soften then add a glow that means two layers which seems nuts to me. If Skylum had included an advanced mode or something that opened up the original filter stacking / workspace system then that would have been fantastic.

Edit. I've just compared the two versions and from what I can make out, if you include all the 'filters' that are under advanced tabs, I count 33 in L4 compared to 49 in Luminar 3. What is really hacking me off is the inability to shift the stacking sequence.

Guy McLoughlin

>>>Skylum have told me that filters have been combined or removed for stability reasons

I always had trouble exporting 300+ processed photos from a group of 2,000 photos with Luminar 3 for Windows, where it would often crash before getting to the half way point. Some quick tests with Luminar 4 show that it is a lot more stable when trying to do this. So for me version 4 is a lot more stable.

I am also happy that they finally listened to the feature request I kept sending about having all filters start in the "closed" position instead of having to deal with a long list of open filters every time I opened a new photo.

With any luck some of the missing filters will be added back in a future update. ( Having a custom menu display is a big deal to me because there are about 15 filters that I use all the time when working on a new photo )

That's really iteresting. Sylum also told me that it was for stability reasons. I agree with you about starting teh filters closed, first thing I used to do was delete the lot and start over.

I've read that some people are finding L4 worse on Windows Ten than L3, really can't comment on that as I'm on a mac. What I did find really weird though is that L4 on the mac is erratic. Sometimes it does odd things like jump to the lbrary screen after adjusting one of the settings, or just reset the image, really weird.

The inability to use presets from L3 in L4 seems crazy to me and for that reason alone I can't really make the full switch. I really do think comparing L3 and L4 is like comparing two completely different pieces of software.

Guy McLoughlin

I'm going to guess that the goal of this release was to get the new ver 4 app out the door ( I'm also going to guess that it's built on a new revamped code-base, which might explain the incompatibility with ver 3 ), and that later ver 4 updates may add missing filters and features. I don't mind waiting if Skylum can deliver a solid app in the end, even if it takes a couple of updates to get there. Here's hoping...

Matthew Rardon

Looks like the ability to have multiple instances of the same filter has been removed. This was great for using masks to quickly apply a filter in different ways in different parts of an image. Perhaps I can still use layers to do this. I've not used layers in Luminar so I decided to give it a try. After tinkering for 10 minutes it threw away ALL of my adjustments and layers! Second time I've now had LR4 throw away my adjustments three times in the short time I've been using it.

Yep, I miss the ability of multiple instances too, used to use it for extreme colour correction. I guess you could do it with layers in theory but definitely more clunky than L3. There's now way I'd trust the stability of L4 when working on an image. L3 would occaisionally hang up on a mac but for me it was pretty rare. L4 on the other hand... I was going round in circles. I really hope Skylum add back in the functionality of L3 using a mode selection of some sort - General and advanced for example. General leaves the L4 interface as it is, Advanced reverts back to the UI of L3. Somehow though I don't think that is going to happen as I think Skylum are going for AI as a selling point over professional functionality.

Bruce Henderson

I've used L3 minimally but appreciated the interface, layers, versatility, concept, etc. L4, even with the AI improvements in the modules, seems a dumbing down of the program. It's as though Skylum wants the program to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the user base.

But here's my immediate issue. I edited a program in Lightroom using cropping, exposure, minimal brush work to darken lightened areas, highlights and shadows, etc. Pretty basic stuff. I opened L4 from within Lightroom to check out the sky replacement function. It worked great. I cycled through most of the skies and they appeared virtually instantly (Mac Pro 15-inch laptop). I closed the program and opted to not save the modified image as it wasn't a finished product. 

Today I opened L4 and accessed that same image (no LR involved). The various modules opened as they should, as well as the looks. However, absolutely none of the potential edits did anything at all. Even the curves panel was inert.

EDIT: I just opened L4 again and it seems that the edits function has returned (after one faulty attempt). I'll delve into it again but I still prefer the L3 interface and ability to add filters to one's workspace.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Bruce! Could you specify how did you open Luminar 4 from Lightroom? Did you use the plugin?
    Please reach our support team with this issue: https://skylum.com/support

Collene G

"Don't worry though, you can replace all your skies"   

Thanks Kirk, this gave me a snort laugh.

I think you overlooked, though, the increda wonderful ability to airbrush acne out of portraits as well!

Damn it! I must have missed that one in the marketing promos. :o)

Terje Gulbrandsen

I've been using Luminar for a long time now, I have never been able to use it as my full time production software though. I got really close in Luminar 3 to make a full time switch, but are really far far and far away from making the switch with Luminar 4. It's really obvious to me that Skylum wants to cash in on the users that are not really into editing they're photos just because it would require to much time for them to learn to do it in example light room or even Luminar 3. That user base is huge, and there are only a few alternatives for that user segment, skylum has seen this and that is why we are seeing a switch. Luminar 4 resembles Instagram in the filters/ai and that user group will feel right at home. I bet that they will release mobile clients soon, and that they will focus on that and Luminar flex sometime in the near future.

Terje - This is what I find really strange about L4. Who is it aimed at? Personally I think the interface and the filter ordering / categorisation and the general layout is too complicated for complete newbies to this system yet the stripping down of the core workspace is really hacking off users of the previous L3. I never used L3 as a full editing package but instead as a finishing tool for pretty much every shot. Yes, it is possible to produce a fully edited image from a Raw file working out of the library but it would be one of the clunkiest workflows going. Neither do I understand why you would use the luminar library to select a shot, edit etc when it's not even possible to create a virtual copy. As a workaround I was advised, go into the folder where the original image is stored, duplicate it, return to L4 and then provess to edit. If you gave me a stack of cash I couldn't think of a crazier workflow.

I think you're right aboiut going for a new market, well, they definitely are. Got this back from Skylum yesterday...

-------

Alina Skylum

Upgrades are usually separate apps, sometimes with completely different tools and features. We didn't want to release an updated version of Luminar 3, but we wanted to make something new.

-------

So on that logic, Photoshop 2020 should not be expected to be an upgrade of Photoshop 2019 but  'something new'. A pretty desperate defense Skylum. Luminar 4 should have been called Luminar Essentials or Luminar A1 and released as an iPad app. You really don't need to look that far on the forums to see how hacked off long term users of L3 are at what has been produced for L4.

Put in for a refund, still waiting and been told they are experiencing a higher volume of messages than usual. I think I know why :o)

Kate Williams

@Kirk, your refund request was processed, as requested. 

Besides, our team in charge has received your comments regarding UI. Thanks for the input. 

Joseph Mina

Rather than searching for filters I used in L3 only to find they were missing in L4, would have appreciated Skylum making known which filters from L3 did not make it into L4. Also, whether specific filters would be added back in a later update. I have used several filters in L3 not in L4. That doesn't strike me as an "upgrade".

Nicolas P

this luminar 4 is a flop for me ;(

Mark Funk

Ugh. Just ugh. I'll be going back to Luminar 3 for everything except sky replacement. Was there any testing of Luminar 4 with Luminar 3 users before this went out the door?

Stephen DeNagy

Is it my imagination, or have the filters become more dumb, slower and generally less effective? The sky function seems amazing, though it is very confused when operating with a watery horizon. Thportraitit editing function seems to require a certain face size. Which I sort of understand, though some of the features would still be useful especially since I am shooting detailed 40 and 60 MB files. It feels like a beta.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Stephen! We are working hard on our new features and getting better. The AI features are innovative. Thus, with every update, we will collect feedback and improve the technology.

Post is closed for comments.