Luminar Launch Day Webinar

Comments

7 comments

• Official comment
    Elena Blum

Hi,

We would kindly ask to check out this thread https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006646480 to download the links and get more information about Luminar 4. Thanks!

Comment actions Permalink
    Ken Haley

I live in South Africa and have pre-ordered, from what time today will I be able to download Luminar 4? Lots of photos just waiting to be edited with the new software.

Ann Wheatley

When Luminar 3 was released, I found it impossible to use the Library/Catalog.  I experienced crashes and received the out of application space error.    With Luminar 3 I was using  a Macbook Pro (early 2015, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3) and an iMac ( 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8GB) both with SSD drives, but had my photos (and the Luminar catalog) on an external hard drive. 

I've just installed Luminar 4, but need advice before trying the library/catalog function. I know that Luminar has a roadmap for working on library/catalog  issues that users reported with Luminar 3.  What level of improvement in the performance of the library/catalog can we expect with Luminar 4 (apologies if this is covered in the launch day live stream video -- haven't had time to watch it yet) 

I have the same laptop and desktop as before, but my photos are now on a NAS.  Have Luminar staff tested the use Luminar 4's library/catalog feature with a NAS?  Has anyone else tried this?  Does it work?    (My NAS is a 6 TB WD My Cloud Home)

Andreas Brodow

Don't expect good performance if you have your photos on a NAS, I have and there are so many problems. The performance is terrible and if you have the catalog on the NAS too it is a disaster, even slower performance and the erase tool doesn't work, known bug reported a long time ago.

I have moved on to Capture One, works flawlessly.

I downloaded the luminar 4 trial and it is still very slow when you are using a NAS, I don't think Skylum has done any imporvements between L3 and L4 regarding NAS

Ann Wheatley

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond, Andreas. When you say L4 is slow using a NAS, is that the case if you simply use it to edit individual photos and avoid using the Library function.

How are you using Capture One in conjunction with your NAS? Does Capture One offer digital asset management? 

Andreas Brodow

Ann Wheatley I haven't tried editing individual photos, only via library.

Capture One has a well working DAM, I have the DAM database on an external SSD drive and the photos on my NAS.

The reason for having the database on an external drive is that I want to be able to use it from more than one computer and when travelling.

Capture One is quite expensive but I use Sony cameras and they have a special version for Sony and Fuji that are less expensive.

Check out Capture One webinars regarding working with catalogues or sessions, two different ways of using the DAM.

Kate Williams

@Ann, at this time, there may arise some stability issues if you keep your photos / catalog on a NAS. We recommend having the data on the internal drive for better performance. Furthermore, this particular NAS - WD My Cloud Home - is yet to be supported.  

As far as the library improvements are concerned: we'll release a rather big update targeting performance soon. Besides, such Library enhancements as a search tool and IPTC Basic editing will be added as free updates. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.