Switching between RAW and JPEG in development

Answered

Comments

7 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Julian,

That feature is not yet present in Luminar 3 or Luminar 4, but it is a great idea. I'll share the suggestion with our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
    EDWARD HUDGEONS

HI,

I have stopped using jpeg for any image manipulation because of its lack of information. If I have no choice in the matter, I just tread as light as possible to keep the jpeg artifacts down as much as possible. I don't think you could or would gain anything by converting a jpeg to RAW format. I am not sure there is software out there that actually offers that option. It is about the same as taking an image and wanting to enlarge it. It does not work very well as it pixelates rapidly. You can down-size much more satisfactorily. 

Julian Kallidat

I think you miss understood. I shoot jpeg and raw simultaneously. Most the time the jpeg just needs a few tweaks. But sometimes I would like to use the raw instead. Both formats are present, just would like to have an option to easily switch. It makes no sense to convert a jpeg to raw!

Till Westenberger

Hi there,

I am seconding Julians idea.

I am using Luminar 4.1.1 now after I already used Luminar 3 for about a year. I think the option to switch between JPG and RAW in the library view is already quite handy. But it would be genius, if you could switch to the RAW picture in editing mode via a quick command (e.g. in the context menu).

JPGs are usually sufficient for me, and minor tweaks can still do miracles. Also Luminar is performing better, when I am browsing through all the new pictures in the library. That's why my standard preset is "Show JPG only".

In case I see a picture that is beyond JPG processing (e.g. too much light), I have to switch to "Show RAW only". But this make Luminar jump back to the beginnig of the librabry folder and it is tedious to find the picture I was about to edit.

That's why a simple toggle in the editing mode would be my preference.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Till,

A toggle in the editing mode would be a great addition to Luminar 4. Indeed, that is fantastic idea. Thank you so much for sharing! 

We do appreciate each feedback and suggestion we receive, since it helps us to pursue the right direction. I can assure you, that we have forwarded this to our development team, so hopefully something similar is going to be released in the next updates.

If you have any other suggestions or feedback, we would be happy to hear them. Thanks!

Jerrett Strain

I would like to add my voice to this request....

Being able to flip would be a hugely valuable feature - I actually assumed it did this, and spent a few minutes double clicking and righting clicking on the little white "JPEG+RAW" pill, expecting it to flip to "RAW+JPEG" when being clicked on

It'd be nice to compare between the two files, too. Maybe another split/compare button up near the before/after one,for raw/jpeg :)

Anastasia Davis

Hi Jerret! I will forward your comments to the person in charge. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Please sign in to leave a comment.