Howard Lebowitz

Thanks, super easy!

Comment actions Permalink
    Bill H

Happy to help - you're welcome

Enjoy ;-)

Bill H

Just did the L4 (5380) update and noticed that all of my custom skies were replaced with the old factory skies again.  No worries though, just followed above process again to delete the stock skies and copy my custom skies back in.  Would be great to have this functionality built in to the UI with menu options for sky backup/restore perhaps?  

David Ashley

Thanks Bill. Works a treat.

David Quillman

For those on a PC.

* I  recommend you backup the folder "C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\profiles\SkyTextures" before you begin this process. It's always a good idea to backup any program folder that you want to modify it. For the record I did not have any problems with this process.

1. Crop the photo you want to turn into your own sky replacement file. (remove everything but sky). 

2. Export your sky file to your desktop as a jpeg. 

3. Close all open Skylum 4 windows.

4. Rename the jpeg file to a name you will easily find when you are replacing a sky in Luminar 4

5. Copy or move the jpeg file to "C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\profiles\SkyTextures"

6. That's it now try it out.

There may be others ways but I'm new to Skylum and this process works for me.

Bill H

Hi David! Great, thanks for adding the process for PC users.

Robert Mathews

Thanks Bill & David; works great on Windows 10! Notably missing from Skylum's default sky textures were lightning shots, so I added 9 of them.

David Quillman

Thanks Robert. I sure could use some lightning skys... can you send me a couple? :)

Robert Mathews

Sure. I added 9; here are 2 of my favorites. Here's where I got them, which says at the bottom of the page they're "for personal, non-commercial use": https://wall.alphacoders.com/by_sub_category.php?id=118368&name=Lightning+Wallpapers

The ones I downloaded and added to Luminar, I edited so as to delete any city buildings, etc. These 2 here, I've edited.

Kami

This is another thing that needs to be added to L4. I'm glad I found your workaround. Thank you very much.

Dimitris Zarikos

Works great with TIFF images also, for those people that do not like to loose any quality to their photos de to JPG file as a sky

David Pizzoferrato

The 'resources' folder does not exist in the 'frameworks' folder on my Mac

David Pizzoferrato

never mind! I found it :)

Lynne Pariseau

You might want to read Matt Suess's article in today's post -- apparently the coming upgrade of Luminar will affect any changes you have made to the sky replacement folder.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/luminaraurorahdr/?multi_permalinks=2396121724051465%2C2395240684139569%2C2395712140759090%2C2395233880806916%2C2395219817474989&notif_id=1576536055376452&notif_t=group_activity

I have just been keeping any custom sky replacement files in a separate folder on my desktop -- not as handy but then, while I love the feature, I don't use it with every photo I process - so the extra few steps locating and using my custom files is not a big deal.

Henry Seiden

Great tip! Especially about backing up the images. I suspect that you will need it sooner or later Future upgrades to Luminar 4, certainly will overwrite the originals we've stored there for convenience. It would be nice if there were another locale that could used and linked in the settings for these type of user-added items. Hint, hint Skylum. 

Grading of the time of day (Sunset) might be a good idea. Sunset could be the first word in this case, followed by some description of the cloud pattern (light/heavy) and, if you're weather inclined the cloud types (Cirrus, Cumulous, etc.). My 2¢.

Also resizing the images might not be needed as the included images are supposedly BIGGER than most camera formats @6000x4000 (in the California Sunsets Collection. Note that the resolution and quality were reduced for size purposes on canned images. There is a guide to making your own which doesn't go into resolution, size issues, so it's good to keep these things in mind. 

Robert Mathews

Thanks for the link Lynne. That's a private group, so I wasn't able to read the article yet, but I've applied to join. Good to know about that group, and about the coming change to Luminar.

Henry Seiden

Couple of examples of sky replacement... The original sky on each was totally blown out or full-on overcast with no definition. Notice the defocus feature and blending. Also color matching. Love the functionality. 

Michael Muni

What would be nice is if they would let us mark a folder or an album in the catalog as being Skies and then any image inside that folder would show up under sky replacement.

Mike Hill

Hugely helpful tip - thank you - and even better, you can rename the presets that came with the package and give them more memorable titles.

John Robinson

Bill, in my isolation it was a toss up between trialling Lightroom Classic (my iMac has never liked Adobe products) or finding a solution for getting Luminar 4 not crashing almost every time I used my own skies. I found your solution and, no surprise, it worked a treat. I am very grateful to you.

I've only moved nine skies for now, six of them came from a pack sent by MacPhun in August 2017 and three of my own. To me, the importance of what you have achieved is that it allows me to use the impressive skies that we see in England. Oh and it stopped me trialling Adobe!

A word of thanks to Skylum for leaving this solution on the forum.

Bill H

Glad to help out guys! Take care!

Verlon Smith

So I follow these instructions on a MacBook Pro (OS Mojave, relatively clean install).  

Kill Luminar

Make copies of Arctic Sky Pack into the designated Folder/Package

Restart Luminar

Now, I have NO sky selections.  Not the stock, the new, or the ability to select my own.

So I delete those offending additions.  Nope, still no AI sky replacement options.

Reinstall Luminar 4? No fix there.

I have to completely uninstall and reinstall Luminar 4.

And others are right.  This functionality should be built into the UI, especially if they are going to sell sky packs.  I assume it is coming in the same update as Loupedeck support: the one where they mail you the update on tape backup - 8-track tape because they make a huge comeback. 

Kirk Osborn

Hi! Please note that AI Sky Replacement and AI Augmented Sky filers can only be used on images that have visible sky parts. Please try working on images with the sky visible.

Verlon Smith

@Kirk Osborn
    Thanks. I considered that in my tests. The same image works on a stock install but fails when I ad the Skylum supplied arctic pack images.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Verlon,

While it is indeed possible to open the Luminar Package and install skies, we do not recommend it and cannot guarantee the program will run correctly. Instead, please try loading your skies via AI Sky Replacement > Sky Selection > Load Custom Sky Image.

I personally recommend keeping all of your external assets (skies, textures, LUTs) all in one easy-to-find folder so they are ready to use.

Mark Elias

Great Work-around!

Thank you!

Verlon Smith

Angela, it seems I have little choice, but I would REALLY like the ability to add the sky packs that you sell to me to the application so that I can select them along with the defaults.  Ave the option to quick preview them as I scroll through would be a nice bonus.  Surely you can see how this would be easier and more polished for your users.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Verlon,

I absolutely agree it would be convenient to be able to install the skies and other assets into Luminar and we do have this on our feature request list. However, I don't have an ETA on implementation at this time.

Please sign in to leave a comment.