Luminar close current picture without load new pic or exit

Answered

Comments

33 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bjarne,

If you open an image with right-click > Open with > Luminar 2018 > then the image will be opened in a new window and the other instance of the program will remain open.

Comment actions Permalink
    Bjarne Winkler

Angela, that is not the issue.  I want to close a current open image (which you can in Mac version) but not close the program.

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Bjarne,

When you finish editing a photo, just open a new one. The previous image will be closed automatically.

To open new photo click File > Open

Bjarne Winkler

Julia, I get that part.  But if you take time out to look in the Mac version you have a File | Close menu option.  Meaning that you can work on a photo.  Save it and the close the photo without closing the application it self.  You do not have that option in the Windows version.

Why use that feature?  If you have memory to spare then you can skip the load of application, since it is already loaded, and also the second popup that I can't disable (see other post).  Remember you program is not a speed monster ;-)

So to be clear the function is in the Mac version, but was not implemented in the Windows version! 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bjarne, 

The menu options between Mac and Windows differ slightly but by choosing File > Open you accomplish the same function.

However, I will send a note to our developers and let them know that this distinction is important to you. Hopefully we can get this implemented in a future update.

Bjarne Winkler

Sorry Angela, that is incorrect.

Please do the following with Luminar 2018 Windows version:

- Open Luminar 2018 in Windows

- At the second dialog box select Sample Image

- Now do what you suggested File > Open or use Ctrl(O)

This gives you an option to open another image and when you do so it will close the Sample Image and open the new image. 

But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about closing the Sample Image and have no image open in the program as you can do in the Mac version with the "Close" menu..

If I can be a little bit bad, your are a team member and to me it is like you have never used the Windows product. It is real hard to go out and talk up a storm about this product.  I run a group of over 8K photographers in California and I am begging to have a real hard time with this product.

I apologize for being this blunt, I am 100% sure that you are a real nice person.  But if your company want to be a competitor in the arena then let's be professional and testing things before suggesting it.

Thanks for listening this rant-  

Nemo Niemann

I have to admit, I'm on Bjarne's side in this. As a long time PC user (since MS-DOS 2.11) and long time professional photographer (since 1976) and long time Photoshop user (since Photoshop 2.0), I find it silly that there is no simple "Close" command. In the early days using Aurora and Luminar (meaning since January), I went crazy trying to find a way to "Close" an image while keeping Skylum open or not have to quit the program to them open another. (I now know that I can simply open an image and the other image closes. This seems counter intuitive, especially if one is able to do this on the Mac platform, but not Windows.)

Alfredo Luna

Hi! I came here by Googling for "How to close a file in Luminar for Windows" because I find it weird that Luminar doesn't have this option.

Plase implemente this feature!

Thank you in advance.

Bjarne Winkler

@Nemo Niemann & @Alfredo Luna - interesting many of the things that is not in the Windows version can be found in the Mac version.  This lead me to conclude (a) Bad design (b) No Windows Knowledge (c) Never use the Windows version for real work. 
    I can understand (a) and maybe (b) but not (c).  If I in my company have no (b) I would hire some that had that knowhow.

Dennis Archibald

Good day, I am having the same problem. I also use Corel and this uses the "close" function.

It would be handy to have. Businesses should provide what the client/customer wants and needs.

Thanks for starting the thread. Dennis

Jacques Van Der Westhuizen

I am trying different photo editing applications as I want to replace my old Nikon Capture NX2. So far, I have been playing with Luminar 2018 and another one I shall not name here. I am new to layers, but I find it not to difficult to use in Luminar 2018. 

It is also bothering me that there are no "Close" menu option.

This is definitely a tick mark against purchasing Luminar 2018.

Angela Andrieux

@Jacques - Hopefully our developers will enable a "Close" option in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, you can simply open a new photo (File > Open) once you've saved and/or exported your work. The previous image will be closed automatically.

Bjarne Winkler

Angela, you guys need to use the program, on a Window box, to really understand what the Windows version does not do compare to the Apple version.

Like you can’t drag-and-drop and new images into Luminar if one is already there.

So, we have two issue here (1) that you can’t “close” no menu option, and “File-Open” is not the answer.  (2) you can’t work on multiple images at the same time (like multi-taking has not been invented).

Guys we need to get all this fixed, and there is a long list (see your forum) before you should charge money for your Windows version!

John Beatty

I'm liking Luminar a lot.  But I agree with Bjarne.

As a Windows user, I am used to common processing behaviors in your competitors products.  Like the ability to add and remove multiple images in the same work space, not multiple windows.  Also I would like to see the name of the image I am working on somewhere in the workspace.  And, of course, sometimes you just want to work on the workspace configuration, or just stare at a blank workspace *grin*.

Bjarne Winkler

Thanks @John Beatty.  It is driving me nuts that I can open Luminar 2018 Windows version.  Drag a Nikon RAW file to the Luminar Window (assuming I have no other photo open). I start editing the newly dragged and dropped photo.  Then, and this is where I go crazy, I need a background for the photo I am working on, but I can’t drag another photo to Luminar 2018 Windows version, and work on that, nor can I open it the hard way via menus.   I have, on a fast Windows 10 box with a ton of memory, to close the first photo to open the second photo.  What is up with that!

So, the real question is:  Now that we get libraries (under Windows I assume) are we still locked in on only working one photo at a time (note I am not talking Batch Processing, which is a complete joke with Luminar 2018 Windows version).

Let’s hope that this December release will blow us all away, meaning that all our writing has paid up 😉

Richard Nadeau

I am in support of this discussion 100%. Luminar and Aurora HDR need to have a "close" function on the Windows platform.
    Is anyone on the development team listening?

Bryan Drum

I stopped using the software, I often open images and try a few edits without saving. File>Close is a must.

Bryan Walwork

I just downloaded the latest update and the close option is not included. This is a must have for me!

As a long time Photoshop user, I'm trying this product to complement my Adobe workflow. I want to drag an image from Adobe Bridge into Luminar while I already have an image open. Since that can't be done, the easiest way right now is to close the program and start over. Not a good option!

You'll lose a lot of serious photogs if you don't fix this!

Bjarne Winkler

Amen @Bryan Walwork

Richard Nadeau

Is anyone at Skylum even following this thread? The "close" menu item is a must

Denis Kotsee

The 'close' feature will become obsolete in Luminar 3.

Nemo Niemann

Seriously? "Close will become obsolete"? Now THAT I have to see. I routinely open/work/save/close images in Photoshop all the time. I can't see how this will be any different.

Jim Eitel

I'm not a pro or enthusiast, but I quickly noticed the lack of Close command, and it's very frustrating.

Jim E

Jim Eitel

I'm not a pro or enthusiast, but I quickly noticed the lack of Close command, and it's very frustrating.

Jim E

Julian Dobbie

Luminar is amazing. But there are a few things I need that I can do just fine in ACDsee Ultimate 2018 or versions back as far as I can remember. This close feature is one of them. Little things like this will keep me using ACDsee over Luminar 3 for the foreseeable future. Also it does seem a lot slower on several tasks. I am not a pro but I do a lot of photo work. A Close function is essential for me.

Kevin Myers

This is driving me crazy. How can you not have a file close option. Please add this to the next revision.  Thanks

Nicholas Jensen

+1 here for the close feature. I use adobe bridge to view my canon 5d4 raw images (since windows can't) and drag the multi-exposures into luminar. Makes it a little more tedious to close the entire program and re-open it for each hdr image. It's so awesome at hdr, I'm doing this and still love the program... but second the close and/or start a new image when new files are dragged onto the program.

Have to thank the developers for everything they've done so far with the program! Keep up the great work! 

Maryna Skylum

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion and feedback.

I've forwarded it to our technical department for their consideration.

Have a marvelous day!

Melvin Montevirgen

+1 for the CLOSE (CTRL+W) feature on both Luminar and Aurora.

Competitors like Perfectly Clear/Lucid has that function for their Windows.

amy fitzgerald

Using trial version, was ready to purchase, but no "close" option is a dealbreaker. Too bad.

Post is closed for comments.