Thinking about taking the plunge. Couple of questions

Comments

6 comments

michael durkin

I really like the direction Luminar is going,  I want to be a customer..  But after wondering around the forums I am not on the fence.    Would love to hear from both Skylum and user with Macs in my age range and what they feel about my use case.

You are far too delicate and gullible to use this programme; rest assured, should you continue it will end in tears and a burnt out computer.

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

There is no Lr migration tool and L4 as a dam comes nowhere near Lr. It does not even have search or exif. Michael Durkin is right, given your situation stick with Lr. You can use L4 as a plugin if you think that might help. That is how I use it and to good effect. I'm afraid Skylum's upgrade pricing policy is no different to many others - look at ON1 or Capture One for a start. It is that or subscription or don't upgrade.

Daniel Johnson

Previously I have upgraded software, Contact support and they will apply a discount for an upgrade.

Ron Lamb

Looks like I had a typo...  I meant on the fence.   As for Delicate and Gullible, well I would not put me in either of those categories and not sure how you came to that conclusion.   Because I am looking at Luminar4 and I did not run based on posts on a forum.  I moderated a major satellite board for over 10 years and I know that you will get a wide spectrum of opinions,  the trick is to be able to aggregate those comments and make an informed decision.   I appreciate your opinion and I have read similar ones. 

Colin, thanks for yours.   I know about using it as a plug in and perhaps that is not a bad way to go to test the waters.  I now the DAM abilities are basic with more coming (Yes I know that and a nickel gets you a nickel) , and I mainly use the rating part of LR though I do have keywords on a number of pictures.    Where my concern was loosing edits and without seeing the Migration tool or if one even exits hard to jump.  Using as a plug in for a period of time might make time.   

Any thoughts on performance with a dated machine?   Actually just update to the latest OS on my Mac and was surprised LR is still snappy (I have version 6).    I do know I am leaving on borrowed time,  Need a LR replacement..   

Do appreciate the opinions...  Just did not have enough time to get a good enough impression on the trial and lot of very strong opinions I feel I should listen too.   Maybe I need to buy some time and continue looking.   Keep the opinions coming.  

Andy H

@Ron Lamb

I strongly recommend you wait until next week when Luminar 4 goes on general release and a 30-day trial version should be available. I'm one of those who had major problems with Luminar 3 and I'm not committing a penny to Luminar 4 until I can road test it properly. I'm trying to reserve judgement until then, but from what I'm seeing so far it appears many are having the same problems as before.  Having said that I know Luminar is working fine for some folks, so perhaps you might be one of the lucky ones.  Good luck!

Colin Grant

Not as a dam it is not working. There is no migration tool as basically there is nothing to migrate to. The Library does not even qualify as a decent file browser as yet.

Ron, as for upgrade costs all companies give a discount on upgrades and Skylum are no different. They also have offers throughout the year. System spec is difficult, Luminar seems to run better on Mac but even then one user will report better experiences than another and it is not always the better spec machine that comes out top. I agree with Andy, try the free trial. For me it is a fair plugin and it also seems to be working ok as a stand alone, although I will not move from Lr as I need a real dam and  find Lr the better raw editor - masking is far superior imo.

Please sign in to leave a comment.