Luminar 4 is even slower than Luminar 3 already was. [Macbook Pro i7, SSD, Mojave]

Comments

9 comments

Colin Grant

Not overly slow on my late 2017 iMac 4k, not great I'll agree but certainly useable. Things might improve when they release GPU support as currently the app is not using it! Apparently there is a performance update due soon.

Comment actions Permalink

Very slow on my iMac 5K 2017 (4,2 GHz, 32 Gt 2400 MHz DDR4) too! Very jerky and slow. Something is wrong.

Cato Liu

I also have the same specs as those in the title and find it slow. I find it to be much faster that Luminar 3 but still very slow. It took me over a minute to export a 24MP photo. Also, when zooming in on a photo, it starts off blurry, then takes many seconds before it sharpens up. I'm really hoping they fix it, but that's something they said a lot with Luminar 3 and never really ended up pulling it off.

Mario Kober

The problem is that these things happened before and nothing improved on that. These are the very basics - scolling - opening - zooming. Nothing big happens here and even these basic things are not fast and nice. If some editing steps would need a little time, I could accept that.

Mario Kober

Now another test - on my office iMac 5K i7 SSD

- new Install, new Catalogue, one Folder with 300 Images

- JPGs and RAWs

In Library mode flipping through images is a pain. It needs about 3 seconds to show a picture in the main frame. If I disable the "Looks-Panel" flipping through images is fast and works for me.

In edit mode while showing only raw images a click on an image needs between 5 and 8 seconds until the edit faders are active and histogram is updated. This is very slow.

Changing basic things like color temp or brighness need about 0.5 to 1 second. Intelligent things like AI Enhancer or Intelligent Contrast need 1.0 to 1.5 seconds. That is not too bad but also not good.

So my first conclusion - nothing is really better now.

WILL YOU FIX THIS ISSUE DEVELOPER?! You make a lot of money with your software, but if your customers cannot use it properly, it's a scam! Fix it asap or shame on you. 

Mario Kober

It also uses over 5gb ram even if idle in background. This is more than Affinity Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo and Pixelmator are using together while they are working.

Luminar is a nice piece of photo application but I cannot understand why you have no coders that also know how to fix these performance issues.

Kate Williams

Hi Everyone, 

The first release of Luminar 4 has a heavy focus on the new features. A lot of effort has been devoted to teaching AI and baking in the new unique tools with the aim to bring our artists new value. 

Nevertheless, please note that in the next quarter of the year we will be working on Luminar 4 performance. Our team is already planning several updates to improve the situation. Luminar 4.1.0 will be one of such updates.

Mario Kober

I would really appreciate that but as this never happened to L3 I will thank you as I really felt the improvements by myself. At the moment I have the same feeling like when I bought L3. Not so nice feelings.

Please sign in to leave a comment.