Solved all my Luminar problems....

Comments

6 comments

Carl Douthit

This is exactly where I am also at, William Stickney.

Luminar has/had great potential as a visually-oriented photo editor. I pre-ordered Luminar 2018 for Windows PC because of the potential and because of the promises that it would be fully functional and full-featured within 3 months of initial release.

Luminar just doesn't work well (at least on Windows OS) nor has it delivered all of the promised features -- and many of the current features arrived long after initial promises and some were still DOA in functionality.

I, also, will check periodically to see if Skylum has matured from a gleam in someone's eye to being a mature piece of workable software that works "out of the box" and delivers what is promised "on the box".

Luminar -- what an astounding disappointment. I do hope that some day Luminar (and Skylum in general) will no longer be such a disappointment.

Comment actions Permalink
    Anastasia Davis

@William @Carl We are always here to help. Sometimes our support team needs more time to investigate the issue. Nevertheless, we do always do our best.
    We are constantly working on the software. Still, on some devices, some particular difficulties can occur. 

You can always reach us here: https://skylum.com/support

William Stickney

@Anastasia - That's exactly the problem.... Your developers/support team should have worked out these difficulties before releasing the apps. Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 looks quite promising (as a Lightroom plug-in) and I have every confidence that it will actually work.

Elena Blum

Hi William - Thank you very much for your appeal and your feedback. Our main aim is to bring our customers a new value, an innovation, unique tools that were never seen before.

Our team is constantly updating our software to improve the stability of it and to make the user experience better.

Please contact our support team if you have any issues and we will do our best to assist you https://skylum.com/support

William Angell

I was on the early release for Luminar 4, getting it on November 11.   While waiting for Luminar 4, I had rearranged my photos folders to have a more effective structure, so I naturally wanted a new catalog instead of updating my Luminar 3 catalog.  I tried several times to create a new catalog and every attempt failed by only working on several sub-folders before hanging up.  Even after completely deleting the Luminar catalogs, the same issue occurred.  I wrote to Skylum support notifying them of the problem, clearly stating it was Luminar 4 that was experiencing the issue.  Yet in my received email, they asked me "what Luminar version" I was using.  The email then went on to give me a canned solution possibility.  I was in compliance already with everything that they asked me to check, so no solution to my problem.  

One of the things I loved about Luminar 3 was its ability to create workspaces, so that different types of workflow were immediately setup.  Alsa, this feature is no longer available in Luminar 4.

Sky replacement and other AI features are nice to have features, but when reviewing and editing hundreds, or thousands of photos, efficiency is important.  It seems, that Luminar has gone backwards in this area.  Simply providing an option to setup workspaces would seem to be better than removing them entirely.

While waiting for Luminar 4 to arrive, I had purchased a competing software to evaluate.   While setup differently, then Luminar, I can do all my edits in an effective workflow.  I also noticed that image load time was much quicker on the competitor.  I was willing to wait for the image to load in Luminar 3 because I enjoyed the editing workflow mechanisms but the increasing problems make using Luminar (any version) more and more of a compromise.

My biggest issues

Cannot create a new Catalog 

Workspaces not available

Image load time is excessively long

Export times are excessively long.

Luminar startup can take minutes

William Stickney

I posted my experiences with Luminar 8 months ago after a great deal of frustration and lost time with the app. I've been following posts since then and it's obvious that Luminar/Skylum simply can't develop an app that works the first time. I bailed on them then, deleting anything relating to Luminar, and have been happily and productively using Lightroom ever since. Good luck y'all.....

Please sign in to leave a comment.