Luminar for iPad

Comments

60 comments

Joachim Schweidler

I think that a complete app with all the luminar functionality for ios is not necessary.

But what I´am really missing is an app on ios that implements then possibility of rating/tagging photos and then sync these infos back to osx.

I think this could be a killer feature in luminar...

Regards,

Joachim

Comment actions Permalink
    Kirk Osborn

I'll pass on your suggestion to our devs for further consideration.

Thanks for trying to make Luminar better.

Carl Cosby

In my opinion Affinity Photo is crap, I purchased the iPad Pro that was released before the most recent one because I saw what it could do during the keynote, and was very disappointed that it didn’t live up to the hype. I got an immediate refund for the app and sold the iPad thereafter.

LR performs brilliantly on most iOS devices, and now we will have the pleasure of PS soon (hopefully as smooth as LR).

So Skylum, why can’t you create an iOS version of Luminar? Can’t be that difficult for you?

We all know Snapseed and how amazing that works on iOS devices!!

You can do it! Invest in an iOS team, you’ll charge for it and people will pay, giving another source of revenue!

Do it, do it, do it 😆

Colin Grant

Might be best if they get the current versions running properly first. Step two would be to bring the functionality up to par with the likes of Lr and Ps. And you seem to have forgotten Android! 

Carl Cosby

I don’t use Android, so I guess that was easy to miss 😬😂😬

Colin Grant

So you think that is funny do you!  It illustrates a self centred and ill considered request and for the record I do not use Android either but I never missed it. Either way what you want is not gonna happen any time soon so subject closed. Have now unsubscribed from this meaningless thread.

David Adams

Colin, calm down. Let’s keep responses moderate and respectful. Please don’t go insulting people for no good reason. Life is too short to get angry and start insulting people over virtually nothing. 

Andreas Krebs

I hope Skylum would bring Luminar in an essential form to the new iPadOS - think about, how powerful the new iPad Pro is in the world of mobile computing. It is now really on the way to substitute laptops because of access to usb-stick or ssd. I will be glad, not to be forced to use Lightroom or PS on my iPad Pro 12,9"

Richard Angstmann

I would love to see an iOS version of Luminar.. even if it only worked with JPEGs. JPEG editing in Luminar 3 on Windows and Mac is an absolute joy... it is the cataloguing and RAW editing that lets it down. iPad Pro's are allegedly as powerful or more powerful than Macbook Pro hardware currently, so I too would love to see an iOS version some time in the future and hope it happens - and I don't even own a modern iPad (yet!)

David Ta

Luminar doesn't need to create their own cloud solutions. There are tons of cloud storage which Luminar can integrate into and Google Drive (business plan) and Amazon Drive both offer unlimited storage for RAWS, which Adobe cannot offer.

I too would love to see Luminar on iPad as I am completely switching my workflow over to mobile. Mobile has a lot of benefits compared to the traditional desktop/laptop as in it runs faster, better collaboration with client/staff, the dexterity of the pen, amazing battery life and can work on-site or off-site (I enjoy the outdoors).

Don't miss out on this opportunity and seize it! Adobe and other developers are racing towards this because they know it's the future of photo editing.

Jon Sweeny

Skylum please concentrate on doing a proper DAM. Your long awaited so-called DAM in Luminar 3 is such a joke. 

Arnaud DELORME

Have a look at the Skylum CEO answer here: https://shadesofcolormagazine.com/author/jmm78/

"... we will definitely come out with Luminar for both iPad and iPhone, but only after we release Luminar 4, which is scheduled at the end of this year. And after we release Luminar Cloud, which will be in beta testing in July. Right now, we already have several prototypes of Luminar for mobile platforms, but we want to make sure that we come out with exactly those features that will bring additional value to users – that will bring something new to photographers and artists. And once we have these new, unique, and interesting solutions ready, it won’t matter how many apps already exist on the market since we’ll bring people something that no one else has given. Skylum’s philosophy is not to copy, not to duplicate, but to create and introduce new value. And we are now forming this value... "

David Wilson

Thanks for posting that. Not sure why the company couldn’t have told us their roadmap for mobile earlier, but it is welcome news. I like Adobe's Lightroom CC solution quite a bit, but I don’t like the fact that it only uses Adobe as a cloud storage solution. I already pay for 2TB of Apple cloud storage, 2TB with a Dropbox Pro account, and 1TB with OneDrive that comes with my Office 365 account. Lightroom CC as an app is great, but the standard $10/mo. Photography Plan only comes with 30 GB of storage which is a joke for professional photographers. This means that I’m forced to upgrade to the $20/mo. Plan to get 2TB of storage when I should be able to use one of my existing cloud storage solutions. I’m hoping that Luminar for iPad will allow users to use an existing cloud storage solution. 

I also want to say that Luminar should prioritize mobile. My desktop iMac is getting less and less use as my workflow increasingly is centered on my iPad Pro. This means unfortunately I use Luminar less and less as a result.

K.G. Wuensch

Wait what they will charge for their own cloud solution (which according to the above blurb is going to be the basis of their mobile version). Things like that don't come cheap - so you probably will be forced to pay about the same if not more for their cloud first!

And professional photographers don't need the 20Gb standard subscription because the synchronisation of smart previews from Lightroom Classic is not deducted from that contingent. So the $10 subscription (which also includes Photoshop) is a bargain if anything!

David Wilson

I personally despise Lightroom classic and would rather strangle myself than use it.

K.G. Wuensch

So you really like to persevere with an unreliable, inconsistent, unpredictable and constantly crashing tool like Luminar? With Lightroom classic I can do now what possibly Luminar can do in 10-15 years time - if they survive their haphazard approach, of reinventing things that work well, resulting in unusable toys...

Arnaud DELORME

Fully agree with you David. I am just a bit concerned by the fact they want to propose a fully different version on mobile... Why not but you may lose users if you do not release an IpadOs version quickly after this OS be available ....

Even if your first app is stuck on the Windows/Mac version I am sure it would be quite profitable to propose this choice.

Martha Wreford

The new ability with iPadOS to import RAW directly to ipad / LR is a game changer. You don't need a cloud for anything. Travel is now seamless, no uploading on iffy wifi, and hours of downloading.

Until now I was hoping that Luminar would release a mobile version, even if only to cull, examine and rate. That saves me hours once I return instead of scrolling 1500 shots - I can deal with the 5* instead of the lot.

The inability to see value in that step alone is dismissing a valuable tool. Time is money and if I can save time doing some work on 13hr flights, I'd rather be making money than watching Spiderman. I would like to escape the subscription model, but until this key piece of Luminar is released, I doubt I'll even upgrade to v4 after supporting them from the beginning. 

Gloria MacDonald

So I'm a huge Lumiar fan and consider some parts of it to be superior to LR/PSD. That being said, and as I just got the new iPad Pro when my old one was not worth repairing, I'm really looking at the possibility of ditching the laptop for the bulk of work, if not all of it. The purported new fully functional PSD for iPad is extremely attractive. And On1 seems to be bringing out their own mobile app, though they're a bit nebulous as to what exactly that means). I think working to make an absolutely amazing Luminar 4 is wonderful, but wait too long to bring out the iPad version and people will be settling in with your competitors. I'd most people who take their work on the road are looking more for that portability with 80% functionality as more important than every single amazingly stunning feature which is only available on a laptop. The Adobe mobile offerings to date have been laughable, which gave Affinity a huge inroad. Though not quite PSD, Affinity Photo for mobile does the job nicely. I'm hoping Luminar will see the benefit of getting the iPad version out ASAP, because most of us don't have the time and money to keep trying new tools every time they come out. The first one that works well for iPad, will be the new king.

Apologies to Android users if my interests don't go to developing for Android devices, but... eh! :)

Carl Cosby

They’re meant to be working on the iPad Pro version after Luminar 4. Who cares if you offend some Samsung users... buy an iPad 😂

Look up Blake Rudis on YT.

Also, I purchased Affinity Photo and deleted it within 10 minutes. It was a very broken and buggy piece of software and vowed never to buy it again after getting a refund. 

Gloria MacDonald

Well, they were a Mac only developer for a long time, soooo... ;)

Michael Brodey

Creating a mobile version of Luminar is not so simple.  To be really valuable it must be able to sync to your home version.  Here’s how it works brilliantly with LR Mobile and my LR Classic version on my IMAC: 

1. I shoot a day’s images in RAW and transfer them to my IPad using an Apple Card reader connector device.
    2. I rate, edit, etc. the original RAW files right on the iPad on the spot.
    3. When I return home, I create a collection for those images on my MAC and IPad, and they sync automatically.  The RAW file transfers to my MAC where I can fine tune it if necessary.
    4. The best part is when the original RAW files are transferred, Mobile creates a LR Smart Preview of each to keep on the IPad.  Smart Previews can be edited just like the original, but they are a small fraction of the size of the RAW file.  This is a great storage saving feature that enables me to have access to a large number of images on the IPad.
    Robert Kovac

Hi skylum team 

I have just one question, will the new luminar 4 have support for iPad Pro in the near future. When your program I a blast to work in, but the problem is that I like to work on the go whit my iPad. 

If the developer team doesn’t have a plan for making the program to mobile platform a beginning you to think one more about it we a a big community that would love to see luminar on a Mobil device 

Robert.K

Angela Andrieux

Hi Robert,

We don't have immediate plans for an iPad app, but we are definitely considering it for future development.

Paul Easker

I've heard about this on and off and seen hundreds of people ask you for an iPad versions of your software. I've heard that it's in the works and then I have seen employees say that it's not. I've been buying every single version of Aurora HDR and Luminar for years, but this year it's over. Just want you to know that I am done buying your software until you start listening to your customers.You aren't producing what your customers are asking for so until you do, it's over. I don't need a cloud version of Luminar to organize my photos. I already have Google Photos. What I need and what I want are Luminar and Aurora HDR on my iPad and on Android as well. I want them to work with Google Photos and iCloud Photos. Until this happens, you will not get any more money from me and many of your other of your customers. 

Joachim Schweidler

I could not have said it any better

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 ....

Massimiliano Massimiliano

you’re missing the train guys if you don’t come out with an iPad  OS version. Useless to say the future is mobile and even more people are wishing to use their iPads instead of laptops or desktops. If you don’t understand this you’ll be bound to stay behind the competition and in a aggressive market like that, is something you cannot afford. This is my two cents. 

Vita Bergman

Hi Massimiliano!

While we are offering the software only for Mac and PC, we know that tablet / mobile technology is the easiest way for professionals to deliver exceptional quality work on the go while using the best tools available. The team at Skylum hears you and are reviewing all processes as well as upcoming utilities to create the same or a better experience that our apps can provide you.

So we will surely consider creating the apps for mobile OS in the future.

Arnaud DELORME

Hi Vita,
    Sounds good .... but the big question is « what do you mean by “in the future” ».... 3 months? 6 months? 1 year ? ..
    Guess people need more visibility regarding the mobile roadmap now.

Kate Williams

Hi Arnaud,

Currently, there's no precise ETA for mobile apps.
    Now the Roadmap shows our tasks for the nearest releases - we'll gradually update it once we have the documented plans for new functionality. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.