Luminar for iPad

Comments

60 comments

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Eric,

For now, Luminar is for MacOS and Windows only.

We'll definitely consider the possibilities of creating the iOS version in future as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment actions Permalink
    Sherwood Botsford

How much serious work can you do on a touch screen?  Every desktop app I've seen that had an iOS version was some combination of:

* seriously dumbed down
    * difficult to use well -- clunky.

* had a totally different interface.

As a photographer, iOS has some legitimate uses:

* Check that the shot came out.  A bigger better screen than the one on your camera.  

* Quick group consultations -- e.g. asking client is this is what they meant.

* As a controller for a smart camera -- e.g.  I want to bracket 5 shots spaced 1.66 stops between AND bracket fill flash at 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2.  Hard to do from the camera controls.

But to do any editing on a tablet?  Not worth the aggravation.

John Russo

I would also love to see Luminar on iOS. And while I agree with Sherwood that the best use of a tablet on a shoot is for tethering and consult (and would likely never use a tablet as my main editing workstation) I can definitely see myself using it on a shoot to crop, correct horizon, tweak exposure etc before posting online.

I’d be happy with a “lite” version as long as tools are similar and files are compatible between desktop and tablet. Pencil support would be cool. I’d be ok with it being a paid app - maybe a free dumbed down version and unlock all the goodies for a small amount - say $10. Love Luminar, Aurora and want to never have a reason to use another editor 😉

Sam Dow

I would love this as well - I would really love a more seamless approach in general to editing between my desktop and my i-devices (particularly my ipad, which is always with me, unlike my 27" desktop imac!).  

Perhaps the full suite of tools would be hard to import into a mobile version due to size, but given the presets that people can import or design for themselves, these would seem to be a relatively easy thing to set up on a mobile device.  It would be really nice to be able to even just "carry along" my favorite presets (rather than all of them, for memory reasons), 

Anyway, if you're looking for another vote in favor, count me in.  

Sherwood Botsford

Be careful what you wish for:

Omnifocus has mac and iOS versions.  The mac version can do things that the iOS version can't -- and makes events that iOS can't edit.  

When Apple came out with the pages version of iOS the desktop version went from a middle of the road word processor to a bit better than a toy.

When Apple made Photos for iOS, then terminated both iPhoto and Aperture for desktop, we got a package that was very limiting in what and how you could do anything.

In general:  Any software package that runs on multiple platforms is faced with the limitations of ALL those platforms and the strengths of neither.

iOS versions of things like Google Calendar work -- but even they work badly with huge inconsistencies in user interface, and layout.  But they are not very demanding -- an editiable view of a calendar.  You aren't talking of dealing with multilayers of imagery with 4000x6000 pixels each, raw conversion, all trying to run on a single processor that runs at 10% of the speed of your desktop.

In addition to this, the colour space of an iPad is radically different from your office.  And it will be different depending on your ambient light.  You cannot do accurate colour work in a non-controlled environment.

Skylum is a small company.  Even large companies with huge resources have trouble maintaining cross platform compatibility.  Do NOT cripple the product by trying to make it work on a much lower powered platform like and iPad.

John Russo

...and yet there are examples of independent small(ish) software companies that *do* have very functional products across multiple platforms. I'm thinking of Evernote, Sonos, Fitbit, TPE in particular. Granted none of these are photo editors, but thats not the main point.

Having been in software my entire professional career (the last 10 as a product manager) I know how hard it is to balance the needs (wishes, wants and demands) of the various constituencies. Its never easy, but I'd hate to see Skylum cede the mobile market. I suspect a mobile offering done well would grow their name recognition and user base, and deepen the relationship with their existing customers.

Perhaps a mobile photo editor that consumes external camera raw files (rather than apple raw) *is* too ambitious - but maybe its not. I don't know enough about the complexity of raw interpretation (or availability of libraries for same) to say. As for cross platform compatibility, my assumption (possibly flawed) was that the history stack would be relatively easy to transfer and replay across platforms.

I would never want Skylum to do anything to risk or diminish their great products on Mac and Windows. Which, btw, worried me when they announced the Windows version of Luminar... and by all accounts that's turned out really well. 

If we don't ask, we'll never know

A vitti

Oh please... 

Skylum  earned money on the false promise of a DAM in Luminar we’ll probably never see.

They’re not even able to develop what they’ve already sold...

Don’t put other strange ideas  in their marketing geniouses minds...

K.G. Wuensch

Still a DAM without a mobile integration isn't worth having anymore. Times are changing and there needs to be an easy way into the cloud today. The most valuable part of the LR subscription is the highly functional integration with the cloud.

David Adams

Yep, I couldn't agree more. I am looking to move away from Aperture and the only product out there appears to do everything I want is Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, but not at that price. If Skylum had a way of managing assets in the cloud and at the very least previewing on devices such as Apple TV, iPad, iPhone etc, then I would buy this suite of products in a heartbeat.

K.G. Wuensch

@David,

do you really think that Skylum is big enough to develop and maintain a cloud solution? And what do you think this would cost? Even if they go the easy route and rent cloud storage with one of the big guns, that's going to cost monthly/annually almost as much as the LR+PS subscription would cost (more so if Skylum requires you to provide your own cloud storage, the ones with a nice API to connect to are on the pricey side of things)...

David Adams

@K.G. Wuensch

Firstly, I don’t appreciate your tone. 

Secondly, I have no idea how big or how small Skylum is. I don’t know who owns them, how many people work for them or what their revenue is. 

Thirdly, all I am doing is stating what I want for in a product, I do not need to be spoken down by some random like you when voicing my desires.  

Fourthly, cloud storage is dirt cheap. Do some research if you don’t believe me. 

Dennis Halalay

I find that Lightroom mobile is an extremely valuable tool on my iPad Pro when I am editing on the go. And now Adobe will be producing an iOS version of Photoshop. I would dearly like to have an iOS option for Luminar, even with a somewhat reduced set of features.

Andy Garcia

Despite those that believe you can’t do serious edits on an iPad, I believe that Luminar will ill quickly become irrelevant unless thay make some kind of attemp to provide a mobile platform. Simply because that is the way the computing environment is moving. Despite the disappointment of not having a DAM component as promised, I still went ahead and purchased Luminar, and that is because I do like the software. My go to app is still LR, but as an extension, I find good use out of Luminar. The other components that are missing is merge to HDR and merge to Pano. It is seriously lacking when compared to LR in MANY ways, but again, as an extension, it does serve its purpose.....for now.  Have you noticed that they no longer tout it as a LR replacement?

Ryan Verbeek

I’d like to react to Sherwood Botsford, and several other people in this comment section.

I think it’s safe to say that if we’re taking about mobile apps and and we’re mostly talking about iPad here is that it’s the future. Being the device the youth is growing up with rather than laptops and desktops as the majority did before. These tablets will become a standard in computing at this level.

The newly released iPad Pro benchmarks beat the latest (entry level) MacBook Pro. And frankly much more is not needed for proper photo editing, desktop is still more suitable for high end video production, VFX, CGI etc.

But as of now there’s affinity photo on iPad and it barely misses a feature compared to the desktop app, affinity launched designer on iPad too and there’s no app on par. Adobe was quick to say photoshop is coming back to iPad but not in a ‘lite’ or ‘mobile’ way.

No assumptions, but I think some of you guys have been underestimating the power of an iPad. And If you just test affinity photo on iPad and get a feel of how natural it is to have the photo in your hands and edit it right there. On a display that’s not necessarily smaller than a macbook’s And of which the colors are the most accurate on the market (and the ambient light feature (called True Tone) can be disables by a simple swipe down and press of a button). It’s a night and day difference compared to when photoshop was first available on iPad. iPads are so much more powerful, the refresh rate of the displays, touch accuracy, input devices and possibilities open for people developing the apps as well as using the apps on the platform have grown tons.

I recommend you just try out some photo editing apps, maybe some design and video editing apps. You can always ask for a refund.

I’m just trying to say that iPad is not necessarily inferior to desktop, it’s very capable and a matter of preference. For most of my designing I will still use desktop because that’s what I’m used to and there’s nothing wrong with that. But who knows in the future, maybe I’ll work on an iPad Pro only...

Have a great time everybody

Ryan Verbeek

What I forgot to say is that I faith in Skylum, I’m certain they can pull off a full fledged iPad (Pro) app.

Steve Rosenberg

Ryan, I fully agree with your opinion. In fact, I found this post looking for a complete mobile plus Mac solution. My iPad is always with me and I no longer carry a laptop on photography trips! I enjoy some editing on the road! Of course serious work occurs on a 5k iMac

The reality is we are in a multiple device world.

David Wilson

I agree wholeheartedly that Luminar needs an iOS version. I use desktop iMacs as my main editing platforms, but I take my iPad Pro everywhere. I no longer use a laptop. Please don’t make me switch to Lightroom!

Paul Easker

I now own an iPad Pro. I’m going to have Adobe Photoshop on my iPad Pro the same day it is released. I don’t want to use my MacBook Pro anymore because my iPad Pro is faster. Not moving into this market is going to cause you to lose customers. Moving into this market is going to cause you to gain customers. It’s a simple smart business move that you should be making. Don’t ignore your customers.

Paul Easker

Here’s what I have found so far for decent alternatives on iOS:

Affinity Photo by Serif Labs

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/affinity-photo/id1117941080?mt=8

Pixelmator by Pixelmator Team

https://www.pixelmator.com/pro/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelmator/id924695435?mt=8

Michael Brodey

When I first started using LR Mobile on my IPad, it was no where as good as on my iMac, but over time Adobe I improved it to where there is not much you can’t do on the mobile version.  Plus, it syncs with your home Mac, including all metadata.  Personally, I’m not that interested in cloud storage, but that too, is included in LR CC for IPad.

i currently use Luminar as a plug-in to Lightroom, and there is not much that I can do in Luminar that I can’t do in Lightroom.  With the Adobe Photography program, I get access to Photoshop, which I sometimes use for more precise edits.  Unless Luminar wows me with their new DAM and, down the road, migration ability for a Lightroom catalog, I will remain an Adobe subscriber, with Luminar as a plug-in.

Mark D

I would like to agree with Michael Brodey. Over time as the iPad’s hardware has improve, those vendors that have iPad version of their products have improved as well. With the latest release of the iPad Pro, Adobe has produced a “fully functional” version for the iPad. Other vendors have produced products that have significantly improved the functionality of the iPad such as Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.

Just my two cents.

Paul Easker

Perhaps the best competitor to Luminar I’ve found so far, and possibly better than Affinity Photo is Polarr: https://www.polarr.co/editor/0

Markus Wanninger

Polarr seems nice at first glance - but I personally don‘t like it. Despite all it‘s plusses.

a) it only uses JPG‘s at this point. No raw development, no TIFF support.

b) I really don‘t like the quality of the output. 

Shame, it could be a great tool. 

Anyhow, I am iPad only for my photography using mainly RAW Power and Affinity photo. The workflow is ok, but could be improved upon. A Luminar version on iPad that ties into the library and gives me the all the editing features would be a dream.

I believe that if the UI would be designed or at least optimized for use with the pencil than that could be a great photo solution! 

I keep hoping.

Michael Brodey

In my opinion, LightRoom Mobile does it all now.  You can use it alone, or linked to your PC.  If you so desire you can have it linked to the cloud, giving you access to all your files everywhere.  Personally, I don’t go that route, choosing to only link specific albums I set up.  I can edit in the field, then automatically copy those files to my MAC when home, complete with edits, history, ratings, and all meta data.  In practice, there is very little in the way of edits I can’t do on the mobile app, but I can always rework them if necessary on my MAC.  This goes for RAW images as well as JPEGS, TIFFs,etc.

Andy Garcia

Michael Brodey, I couldn’t agree more. What’s more, Skylum is way too small to be able to catch up to LR within a reasonable amount of time. Consider this - Perhaps at some point, they may be bought out by someone much much bigger, just to get at their editing technology (which I think we can all agree is excellent). Can you imagine what Apple could do if they swallowed Skylum? I don’t think it’s too far fetched, and really do expect it to happen.

Oksana Sudarkina

In fact, the iPad can handle a lot of serious editing and is very convenient. It would be irrational to give up on this iOS user and expect our voice to be heard. Skylum should support different iPad versions.

G Mitchell

I love Affinity that replaced my Photoshop for one of the many reasons , although a slight layout  difference from Mas OS to IOS it helps my work flow to be able to pickup my work and continue wherever I happen to be on the go with my iPad Pro or at my desk with My MacBook Pro. The only draw back would be the lack of a real file system on IOS which I think Apple is gonna finally address. I would like my Luminar 3 which is my replacement for Apeture to give me the same mobile abilities I have with Affinity. 

Colin Grant

In the name of all that is holy can we please just focus on getting a desktop version that works first! I would hate this shower to start writing stuff for iPad - I can imagine the syncing issues now.

Joachim Thumm

We need Luminar for iOS... please!

Helena Carter

Hi Joachim ,

Currently, we don't plan develop Luminar 3 for iOS since we're concentrated on improving it on Mac and Windows platforms, but I will pass your feedback to the ones in charge.

Best regards

Please sign in to leave a comment.