Luminar 4 is slow

Comments

27 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

I have replied under this post what to do if you are facing issues with the performance:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006599380-Luminar-4-and-GPU-usage

Steve Beazley, I've just replied to your email. Please, check your inbox.

Ronan Yu, I had to delete this post since you have posted 2 duplicate posts under different topics.

Comment actions Permalink
    Kirk Osborn

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

There will be an update meant to target these issues at the end of this year.

Lucien Routhier

OK thanks.

Marie Affa

I started an import at night and in the morning, 12 hours later, it still said Creating Image Gallery.  I have to use Task Manager to stop the process.  Will this update remedy this as well?

Markus Siebert

Yep, I'm really disappointed. Tried it out for 15 minutes today with my luminar 3 catalog (that it converted to the new format). Opening the raw files takes really long befor i can start to edit a picture - maybe 1 minute i think.

Using the stamp tool is't possible, because it is lagging so hard. But, the wohle time luminar does not use any resources. My cpu only runs at 60 % max, my ram has over 4 gb left - so something is really wrong (ryzen 2700x, 16GB Ram, 2080 super).

At the moment, luminar 4 is really not usable.

Keith Patrak

Let me join the list of very disappointed Windows users in saying that Luminar 4 is painfully slow at carrying out ANY tasks at a rapid speed. I thought Luminar 3 was bad and was hoping for a big improvement in the newer version, especially after all the hype. I have PhotoScape X Pro that I also use for editing and it loads and saves RAW files in seconds and every task I do it also completes in a blink of an eye but Luminar 4 is so slow I have time to make a cup of tea!! I am glad I only paid the discounted price although I am tempted to ask for my money back because this software is unusable in it's current format. My PC spec is as follows :-

OS - Windows 10 Pro - Intel i5 - 2400 cpu @3.10ghz - Nvidia Geforce GT710 graphics 

Mathias Ronneberger

I have the same problems. I've been waiting for hours  the black photos in the library will be ready to see. 

Modellname: iMac

Modell-Identifizierung: iMac15,1

Prozessortyp: Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,5 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 4

L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB

L3-Cache: 6 MB

Speicher: 16 GB

Instead of completely rebuilding workspace, it would have been better to focus on performance in the library. 

Why is there no way to search for images that are less than 1-5 stars? That's a few lines of code. Where is the Clarity filter? I am user of version 3 but I will not pay 74 € for this new version with this issues , even if I liked the AI filters very much.

Mathias Ronneberger

Sorry, I'm a Mac user and that's a windows thread. But the issues are the same.

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! We understand that performance is crucial. Thus, our next update will target performance issues. 

Keith Patrak

Hi Anastasia, the main problem for me is loading and saving photos, which is very slow and the program occasionally freezes, so hopefully future updates will improve this. The software otherwise is amazing, I love all the AI tools brilliant!

Benjamin Wilson

I have moved from Lightroom and have a fairly powerful machine with dual quad-core Xeons and its still unbearably slow and crashing. Lightroom is fast and reliable but sadly Luminar 4 is way off the mark. I cant imagine there is anything this would work fast on. If you are editing single photos its not too bad and the features are great, but if you have many photos to edit its impractical.

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

While we're preparing an update, we recommend using slammer Catalogs for better performance.

Markus Siebert

Ok, i found digiKam today (really nice open source dam) and wanted to use luminar 4 only for editing the raw files....

It takes 30 seconds to open a  17 mb raf file (fuji x-t100) and start zooming in and out and moving around (not editing). Are you kidding me? Why you build every ai effect for every picture if i open it? Maybe it would be enough to build the ai thing - not every other filter?

And ... why you need 1,5 to 2,5 GB of RAM only for showing one image?! DigiKam for example only needs 150 mb for showing all of my photos...

And - why do you only use one core (i think ... because luminar won't use more than 20 to 30 % of my cpu)

My specs:

Modellname: custom build

Prozessortyp: Ryzen 2700x

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3.7 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 8

L1-Cache: 768 KB

L2-Cache: 4 MB

L3-Cache: 16 MB

Speicher: 16 GB

Pagefile: nvme ssd

Benjamin Wilson

What is a slammer catalog? I have been trying to edit a shoot i did last week but after hours of messing around i have given up and gone back to Lightroom. Luminar 4 was so promising but isn't stable or usable in my opinion. Sadly i feel its not production ready.

Steve Beazley

Luminar 4 is shockingly slow!

I was expecting a huge improvement in performance over Luminar 3. You have said many times in the forums for Luminar 3 that performance would be improved. All the talk about sky replacement, wow that sounds great ... but if the program is this slow then we just can't use it!

* Updating and browsing the catalogue is unbearably slow.
    * Opening a photo from the catalogue is crazy slow.
    * Looks are painfully slow, it takes 10+ seconds to load the Looks when changing photos.

I'm running a i5 9600K, 32GB 3200Mhz RAM and Samsung SSD 970 M.2 on Windows 10, and basically all of my other applications and games run blazingly fast.

Why is Luminar 4 so slow??
    If there is not a significant performance improvement in the next update I want my money back, because it's just too slow to work with.

Kim Hong Soon

Unfortunately, the news of constant crashes, slow refresh rates and etc have been making way into Google top search. Skylum, you better come good story on this. I do love the AI features but these performance issues are deal breaker.

David Garb

Luminar 4 is painfully slow! Too slow to use. The features semms great but it's all just to clunky to be an effective tool.

Mike Newman

I can appreciate that you're working on it. You had to have done extensive testing on both Windows and Mac, so why was it released with an obvious performance issue. I would have rather waited another month and had a positive first experience with it.

Victor Feinstein

Hi,

I have a monster win 10 PC with 128GB RAM, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x 16-core processor all my HDD are SSD and the LUMINAR 4 PAINFULLY SLOW!!!!

LR and PS working so well, why releasing such a program before you are solving all the problems!!!!

Such a wonderful program on the theory and such a disappointment.!!!!!

Bodo Hubinger

Habe mir für 5000 € den leistungsstarken Surface Studio Computer zugelegt und bin nun sehr enttäuscht wie super lahm Luminar 3, 4 und Aurora Raw Dateien öffnen und wie elend langsam die Bearbeitungsschritte mit großem zeitlichen Verzug abgearbeitet werden. 

Selbst den Zeitaufwand für das Exportieren einer bearbeiteten Datei im JPG Format empfinde ich schlicht als Zumutung.

KI Himmelaustausch alleine bringt es nicht. Und selbst das funktioniert nicht immer...

Lightroom, Photoschop, und all die kostenfreien Programme arbeiten verzugsfrei!

Aus Erfahrung hätte ich wissen müssen, dass Produkteinführung die mit so erheblichem Werbeaufwand betrieben wird im Ergebnis noch nie das gehalten hat was versprochen bzw angepriesen worden ist!!!

Bodo Hubinger

wusste nicht, dass hier Zensiert wird?!

Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

We are sorry for your experience and we will do our best to release an update soon.

For now, please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support  and we'll be happy to help.

Alex Dias

I’m sorry but feel I need to add my own feelings to the above because I have paid for this it is totally unusable. I think the features and potential is amazing but it clearly hasn’t been tested properly. I have been trying to export an image for what seems like an hour now, and the 5 times I have used it so far it has closed without warning on top of the slowness. I appreciate there’s a fix coming at some point but I had to google these issues when I should have been told - it’s what customer experience is all about.

Maurice Lenaerts

I agry with all the comments above, and I must say, I even have some more issues on top. In the standalone version of Luminar 4, I am unable to complet a single RAW picture from my Nikon D850. When I am done, en try to export the file, it crashes, if not before when still working on it... As a plugin for Photoshop CC 2019 or Photoshop 2020, I have to reduce the pics to a rediculous small size to be able to implement thechanges, and even then I have 50 percent change on a crash...Never, and I mean never I met such a crappy program. People at Skylum should be ashamed to bring such a program on the market !!!

Dieter Helgers

Wie hier schon vielfach bemängelt,ist Luminar  4 auch bei mir sehr langsam und stürzt ständig ab . Die von Skylum geforderte Hardware anforderung wird mehr als erfüllt .Ich hatte Photoshop und Lightroom auf meinem PC und damit nie Probleme.

Steve Beazley

Many who have complained about the Luminar 4 performance issues have been asked to contact support.

I've contacted support, but you never reply!!!

So, as many have done previously in the forums I'll request a refund here.

Please refund my purchase of Luminar 4 now!

This software is not ready for production.

Post is closed for comments.