Equivalent of "Smart tone" slider in Luminar 4?

Answered

Comments

18 comments

Kirk Osborn

Hi. We have replaced the 'Smart Tone' feature with 'Smart Contrast' filter in the 'Light' section.

Comment actions Permalink
    Maurizio Loreti

Does not act in the same way, I am afraid.  Please, in the next release, bring back my Smart Tone slider!  Please,,,

Anastasia Davis

Hi Maurizio! I will forward it to our developers. 

You can play a game with Luminar 4 - count up the number of filters that were available in L3 and compare to how manyhave been kicked out in L4. I got 26 or 29 filters missing, I can't quite remember. Since when has Tone been the same as Contrast? It's ridiculous. Don't worry though, you can replace all your skies. Great.

Maurizio Loreti

This doesn't answer my question.  If you care to read, the "Smart Tone" filter is not mentioned at all.  So what?

So where is the channel mixer? Not the B&W conversion mixer, the RGB channel mixer? Something that every IR photographer who used Luminar relied on. You've stated it's deprecated but now called Channel mixer. What? You've stated that clarity is now called Ai Structure and structure is now called Ai Structure. What? Clarity and Structure are two completely different things giving totally different effects. Now they've been stuffed together? That makes no sense. Clarity and Structure have been removed and replaced with something totally different. Orton is under Portrait but Orton was developed as a landscape effect. Radiance is now named 'Mystical' with less control than previousl, what the hell? Taking industry standard tems and processes, mixing them together and calling them something generic like Mystical is crazy. 'Microstructure' again is something totally different. It's not Clarity, it's not structure, it's 'microstructure'. I could go on but not a lot of point really. Luminar 4 is not an upgrade, it's a totally different bit of software and should have been call Luminar Essentials Ai. Released as an iPad app. Still waiting to hear back from your support department for a refund.

Alina Skylum

Upgrades are usually separate apps, sometimes with completely different tools and features. We didn't want to release an updated version of Luminar 3, but we wanted to make something new.

I completely understand how inconvenient it might be for you not to find the filters you're used to. Indeed, some of them were removed and now you can only find them under Deprecated Tab if you migrate your Luminar 3 Catalog with the edits including these filters or while using Luminar 3 Looks.

However, we value your feedback so I will make sure to forward your feedback to our developers.

As to your refund request, currently, our reply time is a bit longer than usual, but we will make sure to reply to you as soon as possible.

Alina Skylum

Maurizio Loreti,

L3 Smart Tone = Shadows/Highlights. This is a pretty exact replacement.

Maurizio Loreti

Alina, thank you.

Oh don't be ridiculous Alina. Since when has photoshop 2020 not been an update to Photoshop 2019? Since when has Capture1 12 not been an update to Capture1 11? Since when has OnOne 2018 not been an update to OnOne 2017? If you wanted to make something new like you suggest then it would have been called something like Luminar Essentials Ai or Luminar Ai. Not Luminar 4. 4 follows on from 3, that's a pretty basic and understood software naming convention. Still waiting for a refund for having paid seventy quid for this gimmicky tat.

Weston Estes

Bring back smart tone please

Stanley Dorst

I agree with all of the complaints here. One more is that Luminar 3 doesn't work as a plug-in for Photos in MacOS Catalina. There's a workaround, but Skylum has been so busy screwing up Luminar 4 that they haven't bothered to fix Luminar 3. As far as I can tell they're trying to push Photos users to do this upgrade, by leaving Luminar 3 difficult to use. Very frustrating! I'm asking for a refund, also.

Stanley Dorst

I spoke too soon. I compared the effects of Smart Contrast and Smart Tone, and Smart Contrast does a much better job. It doesn't bring up shadows as much, but using the Shadows adjustment will fix that, and the resulting image looks much more natural than it does using Smart Tone. 

I had also thought that HSL was removed from version 4, but it wasn't.

I'm not asking for a refund, after all...

marc labro

smartone is the swiss knife after accent AI and raw develop are at their max. smart contrast and HL/shadows is different.

smartone had something magic and was very convenient in a separate adjustment layer after all looks to fix white and black keeping or exposure.

please restore it in light panel

Jim Nix is also a fan of this slider.

best regards

marc

Helena Carter

Marc,

Thanks for your feedback! I'll make sure to forward it to the person in charge.

D GRAY

I have just bought Luminar 4 two days ago and really miss SMART TONE. Please please bring it back and also the history button at the top as in Luminar 2018. 

These were two very useful features that you have got rid of.

Next time you decide to update/re-invent your software, please can you ask customers (who pay a lot of money for it) what features they most use and need before you dispose of them. 

Margaret Bright

Hi D G,

Thanks for your feedback, I will forward it to our team. We appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion with us.

Please sign in to leave a comment.