The Future of Luminar 2018

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tom,

We're doing our best to speed up the process but delivering good software takes time.

Very soon we will launch a dedicated campaign to keep users updated about the progress in our product developments and news from the product team. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Guy Meacham

Sadly it's beginning to look like true parity will not be reached in 2018. Which begs the question what will happen to us windows users when 2019 is released?

Will Skylum continue to work on parity for 2018 windows users seems unlikely. Or will windows users be asked to purchase 2019 with a promise of parity? I suspect I and a lot of others will not fork over money again on a promise but maybe enough new customers will.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Guy,

Parity is still the goal. We have not forgotten our Windows customers and are working hard to make both versions equal. I don't have a specific date for parity, but hopefully our upcoming information campaign about product development will answer some of your questions.

Tom Pickering

We're doing our best to speed up the process but delivering good software takes time.

As a developer myself, I fully understand that.  Thing is, the Windows version of Luminar 2018 was (and is) sold as a replacement for Lightroom and the current release (1886) is still lacking basic layer functionality (i.e. layer duplication) and gradient-based filters that can be adjusted vertically.  If I owned a Mac, I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune, but I am and will likely always be a PC user.  While your Mac version is a wonderful product, as demonstrated through numerous YouTube videos by a variety of industry professionals, your Windows product is WAY behind and I have, with one exception, been unable to complete the post processing of an image without the use of other software.  The simple function of watermarking, a standard tool or simple macro in all other products, in Luminar 2018 is an exercise in frustration that forces me to shelve it.

Very soon we will launch a dedicated campaign to keep users updated about the progress in our product developments and news from the product team.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like you're circling the wagons in an effort to fend off the hordes of unhappy Windows users when you gently inform us that we'll see the product we've been looking for in Luminar 2019.  SMH.

Tom Pickering

Parity is still the goal.

This is marketing speech for, We had no idea it would be this hard!

Rick Savage

I totally agree with what Tom, Guy & Mike are saying. I have tried the MAC version on a friend’s computer and it is an awesome piece of software. But You have sold us Windows users an incomplete piece of software and 4-5 months later we aren’t close to being equal to the MAC version. And to make things worse, you guys made a very basic software development error by changing hardware requirements ( OpenGL issue) in an update. That is totally fine in an upgrade, new version, but not in an update,especially in an incomplete piece of software. Now you are scrambling to find a solution and being a computer techy I can tell you that is going to be hard. There was a reason you changed hardware requirements and to go back and try to provide the same features and be able to perform at the same level with older hardware is near impossible. I realize you have a major PR problem on your hands, but the sooner you quit being so vague and just be more transparent the better off it will be for everyone.

Please sign in to leave a comment.