Luminar 4 and GPU usage

Comments

26 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

Luminar 4 performance might depend on such factors as your hardware configuration, Library size, where your photos are located (it should works a bit faster with internal drives), and what kinds of edits you are applying.

If you're facing any issues with Luminar 4, please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you.

Moreover, like being said before, the new performance update is hopefully planed by the end of the year.

Please, stay tuned!

Comment actions Permalink
    Helena Carter

Hi Per,

Thanks so much for your coherent feedback.

The initial Luminar 4 release is devoted to new tools and features. Nevertheless, please note that the next quarter we will be working on the Luminar 4 performance and we will do our best to deliver the best editing experience to our customers and release a new update meant to target these issues by the end of the year.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Helena,

i have great problems too!!

According to your words, performance issues will be fixed by the end of the year, but if that does not happen then can I get my money back? I would like to give Luminar 4 a chance but the 30-day period would then be expired. 

Per Grunditz

Thanks Helena.

I recently bought my iMac and it has the fastest and also most expensive GPU available except for the iMac Pro.
    So I was a bit disappointed when I realized that is isn't used by Luminar 4. But initially I can live with this limitation.
    I understand that you want to make everything work smoothly before optimizing for speed!

Stephan

Hi Helena,

I agree with Wolfgang. At the moment Luminar 4 is not usable for me. Too slow and it is no fun to work with. So I'm thinking about a refund too.

If you promise us that we will get our money back if the performance is not to our satisfaction, than I will wait until the end of the year for the update. Otherwise I will request my money back within 30 days.

Lutz Ulrich

Hallo Wolfgfang,

ich würde jetzt direkt vom Kauf zurücktreten und Ende des Jahres schauen, ob die Versprechungen eingelöst wurden. Meine Erfahrungen lassen mich vermuten, dass kein Verlass auf Aussagen dieser Firma ist. Jetzt bekommst Du noch das Geld zurück, doch im Dezember? Ich habe mir L4 nicht gekauft und warte erst einmal ab, ob es eine ebensolche Betaversion ist, wie L3. Für L3 wurde vieles versprochen, doch bei der Einführung funktionierte nur ein geinger Teil. Im normalen Kaufgeschäft wäre das, was Skylum hier macht, eindeutig Vertragsbruch! Vieles, was für L3 angekündigt wurde, funktioniert noch immer nicht. Bei L4 scheint sich dieser Faden leider weiterzuspinnen. Ich bin wirklich zufrieden mit C1. Kostet mehr, ist aber zuverlässig und keine Betaversion, für die die "early birds" gegen Bezahlung von Geld vor dem offiziellen Start sich gerne hinreißen liesen, den Beta-Tester zu spielen...

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hallo Lutz,

danke für deine Meinung die sich mit meiner voll deckt. Ich werde auch deinen Tip beherzigen und nicht bis zum Jahresende warten um vom Kauf zurückzutreten. Neben der schlechten Performance ist für mich auch das Bearbeiten von Fotos im "stand alone"-mode mit der Magic Mouse 1 unmöglich. Das ist auch in Luminar 3 so und für dieses Problem wird mir seit Monaten ein fix versprochen - wie gesagt versprochen. Danke auch für den Tip mit C1 - ich teste bereits seit gestern Abend und meine ersten Eindrücke für diese Programm sind sehr positiv. Ich will nämlich Fotos ohne Probleme bearbeiten und nicht nur den Himmel tauschen und das schaut bei C1 gut aus.

Stephan

Ich habe dem Support jetzt auch geschrieben um vom Kauf zurückzutreten. Hoffentlich geht das wenigstens unproblematisch. Ist mir jetzt zu riskant.

Auf eine Email an den Support bzgl. der Performance Probleme hat man leider nur einmal reagiert. Auf meine darauffolgende Antwort und Videos die die schlechte Performance zeigen hat man dann nicht mehr reagiert. Ist jetzt zwei Tage her. Wahrscheinlich haben die aber gerade auch recht viele Anfragen.

Schon schlecht gelaufen. Eine falsch formulierte Email an alle Vorbesteller geschickt und dann noch eine Software die im Schneckentempo läuft.

Kirk Osborn

Hi! Your money-back guarantee will start after the global release. Our tech team is already working on the new update. We will do our best to deliver the update as soon as possible. Please stay tuned.

Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support if you have any questions.

Colin Grant

Yes we appreciate that Kirk, but we were not told that L4 would not be optimised and that it was only focusing on the new tech to start with. And none of your ambassadors/affiliates doing the reviews said anything either. As such we were mislead it seems. Now we only have 30 days with effect from Monday to claim a refund whilst the fix might not be out until after that or close to the end of that period. All we are asking therefore is that the refund period be 30 days following the date of the update. After all we all purchased in good faith. It is not our fault that you sold an incomplete product without full disclosure.

Per Grunditz

I absolutely feel that a faster version is worth waiting for. I'd much rather have a stable but slower initial release than a fast unstable one! 😀 But I agree that Skylum could have told us about this two step process! 

Kim Austin

So let me get this straight...we purchased what we now know is an incomplete package -- a couple of support people have openly admitted that the bells and whistles were the prime focus of the release, not the performance. Further, our time period for seeking a refund is 30 days from Nov 18.  However, we've been told that the Skylum engineers are working on a performance update this quarter, which obviously could see the fix not being available before the refund period expires. As @Colin said, we purchased this software in good faith.  We gave you yet another chance, and parted with our $ months ahead. Yet, here we are, and it's like Groundhog Day all over again -- L3 issues transform in L4 issues. What goes?  Again we see nothing from anyone of importance, whoever that is. SMH.

Colin Grant

For me L4 is running more or less ok. The odd crash and a bit sluggish on the sliders but all in all not bad. Probably a lot if this will go away once the GPU is brought into play. Yes @Per Grunditz a stable but slower version first is not such a bad thing but all that pre-sales hype should have been qualified and I will never trust again those who sat there giving us wonderful demos and saying how responsive it is. I did notice during one such video the sluggish behaviour of the graduated filter. I asked the presenter about this and he said it happened rarely - happens all the time here! Why cannot Skylum just be open and honest, they are running the risk of driving customers away for reasons other than software performance; they have shot their integrity to pieces and there will be those who refuse to do business just because of that. Get your customers on-side and we will be happy to help develop the best piece of software in its class, our enthusiasm will finance the development....but not if you keep shutting us out by holding back what is important information. Come on guys you can do better than this surely?

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! As we mentioned above, our team is working now on performance issues. That is the main target for the next update.

Pascal Bieri

Also the RAM issue that exists since months isn't solved.... Luminar consumes and consumes until being nearly blocked....

Colin Grant

There was an update today apparently. I am not at my Mac.

Pascal Bieri

I know - but it's still not solved in version 4....

Jonathan Ponsie

Hi, 

Having read this thread, I'm seeing lots of confirmation about the performance being dismal but NO confirmation that if the perfromance is still dismal after the performace patch we can ask for a refund?

I have a new well spec'd laptop and Luminar 4 is painstakingly slow, to process a raw image to a usable state and apply a basic user look takes between 40-50 seconds per photo.

Waiting 20-30 seconds to look at a raw image to decide if you want to use it or not is far from ideal. Having to go through 200+ pictures at a time means 100 minutes just to give the photos a rating / use / bin, before even thinking about editting the images which then take another 10-20 seconds when opening them for a second time.

If the performance patch does not improve we should be given a refund.

In comparison, DXO3 produces a crisp image in 1 second and a full processed image in 3-5 seconds, I could rate those same 200+ images in 15-20 minutes. Quite a difference over spending 1h40-2hours.

Another thing I'm amazed with is Flex is intergrated (plugin) with Photoshop but not even with its own counterpart Luminar so the workflow is terrible. Thats a side note for a who different conversation.

Colin Grant

Well, there are no significant performance issues here so far. It is a bit sluggish in places but nothing like what you are quoting. And I might be missing something but why would you want Flex as a plugin to Luminar - they do the same thing! The clue is in the descriptions Flex was the plugin version of L3 which was stand alone. We now have L4 which is both plugin and standalone so no need for Flex at all - hence it has been superceded.

Jonathan Ponsie

Regarding flex, I quite like the UI when it comes to selecting the various tools you want to use.

I might just uninstall and reinstall luminar 4 and see it that helps, if not mine is currently unusable. 

Jonathan Ponsie

Think I've figured out a major part of my issue. I had the images in a folder on my desktop. The desktop is one of the backed up locations on OneDrive and I don't think its seen as a normal folder by windows. Having moved the folder directly on the c: drive the performance has improved a big amount. Still annoying slow at times but overall a big improvement.

TLDR: Don't reference images straight from the desktop

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Jonathan,

i think you're in the wrong thread here. This is about performance in Mac and not about Windows stories with moving files or Flex or I understand your posing totally wrong? 

I really don’t understand all these complaints here.
    For me it’s working fine on my i9 8cores.
    Also considering the amount of time saved by the AI to remove the manual work, I am ok to wait 2sec for the software to load the raw properly.
    But of course better faster stronger is always what we are looking for today.
    No issues on crash also so far 🤞

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Alex,
    what do you not understand? Do you think we all invented the problems? Just be glad you do not have one.

Jonathan Ponsie

Wolfgang, I think he's just trying to find somewhere to brag about his i9 8 core cpu.

Wolfgang Jarcik

👍

Post is closed for comments.