Bring back custom workspaces to Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

25 comments

• Official comment
    Anna V

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. 

Workspaces were indeed a big part of Luminar 3 but we have organised Luminar 4 in another way that must be more efficient for you. Thanks to the new organization of tools into bookmarks in the right Edit panel, it’s now easier and faster to find the tools you’re looking for.In Luminar 3, there were a lot of small filters (over 45), and adding filters was a complicated and slow process. Workspaces were used to speed it up. In addition, Luminar 3 Workspaces were impossible to use with Looks. Looks always changed the Workspace, which confused users.

In Luminar 4, bookmarks on the right panel allow you to quickly and easily find tools, which are now grouped by type:

Essentials – The main tools for color correction and tone correction as well as for RAW processing
    Creative – Creative photo processing tools
    Portrait – Tools for working with portraits
    Professional – More sophisticated tools for finer adjustments

Please check the table that shows you where all your old filters are now located here.

Comment actions Permalink
    Helena Carter

Hi Shane,

Currently, there are no plans for bringing this functionality back. However, I completely understand how you want this feature. I will make sure to forward your feedback to our developers.

Gene Flanigan

I agree with Shane, the old interface was more efficient.

Shane Keller

Hello Helena,

The new interface is simply unusable and significantly backward.

Kirk Osborn

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it.

We are receiving a lot of positive comments regarding the new interface. We tried to make it more intuitive and concise.

Brant Bady

I think similar functionality could be achieved by adding a toggle on each filter in order to mark it as a Favorite, and then have a Favorites tab that just shows which filters a person likes to use.  The previous interface was superior for power users, but this suggestion would likely serve both power users and those who are less familar.

Shane Keller

Brant Bady - That is a good suggestion. Adding favorites to its own tab would be a handy compromise. But it still does not fix those of us that use and need multiple workflows. 

I have no issue with the workings of the filter features and new filter features. Removing workspaces and turning features originally available in one click into multiple stepsis not efficient whatsoever. 

A better suggestion would be to simply allow us to create custom workspaces again. I don't want to have to revert back to using Lightroom or learn new software that offers customizable workflows. I like how Luminar filters work.  

Customer workspaces were a differentiating feature and that no longer exists.

Please consider bringing it back.

Brant Bady

Shane, yes indeed my suggestion would not fix your issue of needing multiple workflows.  I thought the old interface was far superior as well.

In addition to dumbing down the new interface (or making it easier for newbees depending on what your spin is), I get the "sense" that they are hardcoding the order in which filters being processed in order to reduce the processing time for applying filters. 

Gene Flanigan

One of the big features of Luminar was the interface and custom work flows. With this gone in Version 4, I think I will go back to version 3 for most things, and only use 4 for sky replacement or the new portrait features, which for me, will be very seldom.

At this point, I kind of wish I never paid for the new version.

Shane Keller

Hey Gene - I have basically been doing the same thing. I have gone back to using Luminar 3 for most things... the tabs and no workspaces are making the experience too slow.

Tony Vischschraper

MY first impression of Luminar 4 - I think I'll be asking for my money back. I was so looking forward to this version, and my disappointment has ruined what was otherwise a good day. The lack of custom workspaces is a huge dealbreaker for me. Luminar 3 interface was far, far more user-friendly. Also, I hate that I have to click on each filter every time I want to go to it, instead of being able to keep them all open at once as was the case in L3. It seems to me there are far fewer filters available as well. This version is a huge leap backwards. I have always liked your software, and although I hate the subscription-based model of Adobe, I think it will be Lightroom for me. Sorry to say, but this version is really badly designed!

Anton B.

I totally agree. If you use more than few superficial filters, it is simply unusable. What I will never understand is why destroy the great feature that already existed. Even the simple favorite filters tab would be an answer. But since you «receiving a lot of positive comments regarding the new interface», I think I’m simply not in the target audience. Asked for refund.

Funny, my first comment is still 'pending approval'. I too have put in for a refund. The interface of L3 was definitely one of the selling points, you could stack multiple instances of the same filter, re-order the filters in the stack and clearly see how each 'look' or preset was contructed and easily adjust values for each shot. This version should be called 'Luminar Essentials Ai'. It's in no way an upgrade to L3. I think the sky feature is a bit like 'Light Rays'. You think it's going to be a killer filter then it turns out to be a bit gimicky. In essence, go for L4 if you want to replace a sky or a quick fix for portraiture, if you want control and understanding of how your image is being processed, stick with L3.

Mika MF

I've been using Luminar 4 for ten minutes, and without Workspaces it seems unusable to me.

Besides being able to quickly jumpstart an editing project, the Luminar 3 system also allowed me to see at once all the filters i currently have in use, not to mention that the possibility to add the same filter more than once came in handy in some creative applications.

Good for Skylum that they're getting lots of positive feedback on the new interface --- i wonder who are those people who like Luminar 4, and what i'm doing wrong in how i use this program. I'll make an honest effort to adapt to it for the next couple of days, but i'm also seriously considering going straight for a refund and sticking with Luminar 3 . . .

EDIT: yep - i've been using Luminar 4 for a couple of days now, and it's increasingly frustrating. Maybe it will work great for someone who wants to put together a family album a couple of times a year, but it's horrible for people who spend hours editing photos in bulk/sets every day, for whom consistency across photos in the bulk is key, and flexibility in how the filters may be applied, in which order, the possibility that they may be repeated, etc.

I'm very disappointed. If Workspaces are not back in their roadmap in the next couple of weeks i'll ask for a refund and stick with Luminar 3.

The new filters are great, but without workspaces Luminar is unusable.

Philippe CARON

Je vais ajouter mon grain de sel aux commentaires précédents. Luminar 4 est un progrès dans l'utilisation de l'IA sur de nombreux points. Par contre la structure de commande du logiciel est vraiment trop grand public. 
    Les flux de travail étaient une très bonne chose dans L3 si c'est abandonné c'est vraiment regrettable.

Comme d'autres points mentionnés par les autres participants qui faisaient la puissance de L3 et qu'on ne retrouve pas dans L4

Il faut revoir la copie. garder le meilleur des deux versions SVP

Gene Flanigan

What I find bizarre is over the years users have posted many useful enhancement recommendations and fixes, yet none of these things get added, but we get a gimmick of sky replacement. Sure its impressive and cool, but how useful really? The portrait features are nice if you shoot portraits, but useless otherwise.

Workspaces was one of the big features Luminar boasted, and a very useful feature. Removing it makes no sense. I don't recall anyone on this forum asking for a dumbed down interface!

I will continue to use version 3, and most likely seek a refund on version 4 unless the major feature of the program is brought back.

JOSHUA ABLE

I agree, bring back the custom. It makes nosense to not have that feature

Shane Keller

I have basically stopped using Luminar 4 at this point. I am considering getting a refund unless Workspaces from L3 are brought back. 

Lisa Stone

I too find the new UI to be a step back.  Granted too busy is not good.  However, this dumbed down version is slow and cumbersome.  I do not want to have to click and wait for each panel to open and close.  I do not find this more intuitive.  I would love to be able to make a workspace for my workflow.  However, that has been eliminated.  Progress??? No!

Sky replacement without an any progress with the DAM, with no ability to add keywords and better search function, suggests that the goal is as a Lightroom plug-in rather than as a replacement

Moog L'Kupo

"Maybe it will work great for someone who wants to put together a family album a couple of times a year..."

It doesn't.

ed matney

After I downloaded 4, I took one look at the interface and switched back to 3. I'll use 4 for sky replacement and 3 for everyday speedy processing. Some engineers aren't thinking clearly. 

Gene Flanigan

Anna, Skylum may believe that the new interface "must be more efficient", but obviously many of your customers do not. Many like me, are looking to other programs to replace Luminar 4. Plus with other programs we don't have to stop using our Apple mouse as you recommend we do.

Mika MF

Why does it have to be either workspaces or the current interface?

Does this official comment mean we may rest assured Workspaces (or anything to that effect) won't be implemented on L4 updates? Could we brainstorm solutions for looks to work better with workspaces --- i don't know if other people agree, but i often want to apply a look on top of a couple of basic edits edits to exposure, or something --- could looks be implemented as a separate layer --- at least in the event that you've already started tinkering with other filters?

How about being able to create our own custom groups not just for your favorite filters, but for the filters pertaining to this particular bulk edit you're working on at the moment? These four categories are not going to be intuitive for everybody --- in fact, that's what's been the most confusing to me about the new interface. It's very difficult for me to get a panorama of what filters have been applied --- and it's very difficult to play with how different filters interact, because often times they're in different sections --- not to mention that you can only see the adjustments in one filter at a time now that they automatically collapse.

What am i doing wrong? Does this mean i'm editing too much?

I think that most people who miss the Workspaces don't miss them because they can't find the new filters --- we miss workspaces because it allowed us to personalize our workflow :-)

:-( :-(

Robert Davidson

Yes I want workspaces back also, I never used Looks (although I sometimes checked a look to see what filters where used), as I adjust each image separately. If I want to replicate my processing I can copy and paste adjustments!  

Shane Keller

Anna V 

re: "Workspaces were indeed a big part of Luminar 3 but we have organised Luminar 4 in another way that must be more efficient for you."

Must be more efficient for me? It is the exact opposite. It is more INefficient now. 

re: "Thanks to the new organization of tools into bookmarks in the right Edit panel, it’s now easier and faster to find the tools you’re looking for."

No thanks. It is now harder and slower to find the tools I am looking for.

L4 is not an achievement. It is a step backward in efficiency, ease of use, and speed. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.