They've crippled what was a promising editing app. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Comments

8 comments

Andy H

@Graham.  You should be able to get your money back? There's a 30 day refund policy.

Comment actions Permalink
    Graham Bowden

Except I was one of the first ones to pay a lot more than 30 days ago.

Andy H

I think the 30 days start from when the product is released and you receive it, not from when you pre-ordered it.  They changed their refund period early September from 60 days to 30 days, so if you ordered before then you might have 60 days. You should check with Skylum.....

Per Grunditz

Graham, my initial reaction was similar to yours. At first I could not find any tools. I didn't even consider clicking on the "dinky little icons" as I thought they were some instant "quick-fix" buttons for total beginners with absolutely zero knowledge of editing.
    BTW, the "dinky little icons" look like they were copied from a phone app for infants! Bad choice!!

On the other hand, the organization and number of tools in Luminar 3 might have felt intimidating to less experienced users that probably make up a large part of Skylums present customer base. And even more intimidating to potential new customers.
    So the simplified interface may make sense from a marketing/business perspective. They may lose a user like you but gain many other!
    The best solution would be to have two interfaces. One simplified for beginners and one for experienced users that included customizable workspaces. "Basic" and "Expert" modes.
    For me personally this is not a problem as I only use Luminar 4 as a plugin in Photoshop but if Luminar 3 had been my main tool I too would have been upset!

It feels a little bit like Luminar has gone from an ambitious, impressive and versatile photo editor to becoming a fun toy with magic buttons. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit but in the end it is only a matter of what is most profitable for Skylum in the long run.

Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your feedback, we value it. Also, we're constantly improving our software in terms of tools, UI and performance.

Graham Bowden, indeed if you purchased Luminar 4 before September, 4, money-back guarantee period for you is 60 days from the date of Luminar 4 release. if you purchased Luminar 4 after September, 4, it's 30 days (still after the release date).

Graham Bowden

Helena you were constantly improving but this is a HUGE backward step.  Even when the ill fated DAM/library feature was added the editing part of Luminar still improved.

What you've turned it into now is no longer a viable alternative to anything.

I thought maybe the Portrait tools might be useful but once again individual edits like Lips Redness or Teeth whitening etc cannot be individually masked and they have a definite tendency to either miss the target or spread way too wide around the target. I can only assume the developers used the perfect image example when writing the code and again when making demo videos to post on the web

If I get my money back will I be kept in the loop and advised in the future when Luminar is put back on track or is it Skylum's intention to leave it remain the shadow of its former self that it's now become?

Frank Fiorentino

@Graham Bowden

There is no back on track.  This has been a downward spiral to what is now a gimmicky toy. When they were macphun I was a big fan of intensify and tonality.  Greed and disrespect for their customers has been the downfall of this company.

I still use LR/PS but I also purchased On1 Photo Raw 2020 as it shows a lot of promise and is heading in the right direction as a viable alternative.

Andy H

Frank Fiorentino

"Greed and disrespect for their customers has been the downfall of this company" - couldn't have put it better myself. I'd add a lack of competency to that as well. It's clear they can't execute their own vision.

Please sign in to leave a comment.