Luminar 4 ultra slow und buggy

Answered

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that Luminar 4 isn't performing to your expectations. Please note that 8GB of RAM is the minimum necessary to run our software, but we do recommend more (at least 16GB) for best performance.

If you're experiencing crashes, please reach out to www.skylum.com/support so we can investigate. Thanks in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    michael durkin

It's not a new phenomenon. Frying your computer and knocking years off it's life in one single session, I mean.

What you have to do is to have 'Task Manager' running and visible on the screen at all times when using McFunn software so you can keep an eagle eye on it and simply get to the off switch as quickly as you can.

This confirms my worst fears; that they haven't rewritten 'Luminar' from the bottom up, rather they've relied on their Utube pimps and unwanted gimmicks to push their latest scam edition and to their credit it's worked very well...

Tanel Kindsigo

Luminar 4 seems much slower than Luminar 3. Looks like it does not use GPU at all, as there is very CPU extensive usage.

I have 4-core 3,4GHz CPU and 32 GB of RAM. Luminar 3 is able to fill all that RAM very quickly whenever I work with TIFF file with some layers. Looks like Luminar 4 is not better, RAM usage is still huge.

But most annoying is it's slowness when moving any sliders. You don't see any real-time effects any more when slider is moved. Only after 1-2 sec you see the difference. That makes Luminar 4 unusable for serious photo editing, so I stick to Luminar 3 for now and hope you can release usable version of Luminar 4 soon.

Btw, why Camera color profile support was removed? It's present in Luminar 3.
    Of cource I would finally like to see automatic Lens correction profiles like it is in Lightroom. It is still missing in Luminar 4.

Wayne Cole

When scrolling through a large library (before the inevitable crash) there is a slight bump in GPU (1% from 0%) as the black patches are filled in with thumbnails.  More disturbing, however, is that scrolling through a library seems to cause giant spikes in network usage.  I can't imagine what is going on here unless Luminar 4 is transmitting tons of usage data back to Skylum, or using networking APIs / resources to transmit data between Luminar modules and that may be slowing things down.

Also, in Library tab, if you select a top-level folder (e.g. "Pictures") that has lots of sub-folders and sub-sub-folders, Luminar attempts to show thumbnails for all pics in all paths from the top-level folder on down the directory sub-tree.  If you then go to one of the sub-folder's whose thumbnails have displayed in the top-level folder library pane, it appears you have to wait for all that folder's (and its sub-folders') thumbnails to be re-built.  Worse still, if you leave Luminar 4, and come back a few days later to a folder you have already "browsed" (and generated thumnails) it appears it needs to regenerate the thumbnails.  In many respects this is REALLY different than Luminar 3.

Something in the update got really broken, and I encourage those experiencing problems to try to capture specific methods of recreating issues, error / performance logs and send them to Skylum support.  Merely flaming them is not constructive (either to the developers or your own health).  If you are really P Oed by the experience, best uninstall, seek a refund and move on - your body will thank you since, as your irritation level drops, so will the low-level inflammation that is deleterious to your internal organs.

Cesareo Bringas

Hola, mi PC es un amd ryzen 2700x, gigabyte 2070 8 gb, 32 gb ram (3000 mzh), disco duro ssd y MvMe.2. Es más que cumple con las necesidades recomendadas. Y cada control deslizante del desarrollador tarda al menos 7 segundos en reaccionar. No hay nadie para usarlo. Incuso el video en 6k. Lo edito con fluidez con muchos programas, así como fotos de 100mb en captura, respondiendo de inmediato (en tiempo real). ME SIENTO MUY ENGAÑADO Y ENGAÑADO

Hello my PC is an amd ryzen 2700x, gigabyte 2070 8 gb, 32 gb ram (3000 mzh), ssd hard drive and MvMe.2. It more than meets the recommended needs. And each developer slider takes at least 7 seconds to react. There is no one to use it. Incuso the video in 6k I edit it fluently with many programs, as well as 100mb photos in capture one responding immediately (in real time) I FEEL VERY DECEPTIONED AND DECEIVED

Kate Williams

@Wayne,

please note that the app scans the library upon launch to detect whether any changes were made to the files while it was not running. Luminar 3 did the same. 

@everyone, Wayne's right. We do encourage everyone to contact us via https://skylum.com/support and provide us with as much information as possible regarding the freezes / crashes you are facing. Only that way, we'll be able to help and collect the feedback for our tech team. 

As for the general speed of the app - we'll release the update targeting performance issues. It's planned for Luminar 4.1.0. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.