Luminar 4 still slow

Comments

29 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

If you're facing issues with Luminar 4, please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you. 

Also, we plan to release a performance update by the end of the year so it should bring speed and stability improvements.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry to hear that Luminar 4 isn't performing to your expectations. Please reach out to www.skylum.com/support and we'll look into it and see what can be done.

Stephen Warriner

Hi Joseph-

I noticed a problem that just by opening L4 without even loading a photo, just opening the program, my CPU usage jumped to 20%+.  When I opened L2018, Lightroom and Photoshop my CPU usage was at 4%. Would be interested if you are experiencing similar.

Ctrl+Alt+ Del>Task Manager>More details (lower left)>Performance tab

Duncan Mascarenhas Mascarenhas

Same issue here. When I load an image and just do a sky replacement, it uses all my RAM of 16 GB and many a times crashed. My system is using a i7 8th gen 8750H config... 

Elena Blum

Hi Duncan, Hi Stephen,

Please note that there are AI features and Sky examples in Luminar 4, which will load as soon as you start Luminar 4. Please contact our support team and we will do our best to assist you https://skylum.com/support

Elena,

Can you please let us know the minimum system requirements... Also the recommended requirements to run Luminar without any lags or crashes. Basically I'm still waiting for a stable product from Luminar.

Paul Christensen

My Windows HP Envy Laptop with 16GB Ram peaks at 90% CPU usage at Luminar 4 startup and maintains a usage of 30% while just sitting idle.  I am not happy.  It takes 20 seconds just to load a RAW file into the editor.  The response time on some of the sliders is so slow that I often wonder if the program has locked up.

Elena Blum

Hi Duncan,

Here are the system requirements for Luminar 4:

https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/4/search?search=requirements&app=luminar4

Hey Elena,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As described in the link sent by you, my PC far exceeds the requirements. Hence I have to ask again, based on my experience with Luminar 4... What are the recommended specifications to run it glitch free on PC? Coz I'm not have a glitch free experience? and the software is a RAM hog!!!

Elena Blum

Hi Duncan,

I definitely understand your concern. Please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to take a closer look at what’s going on right away.

Florin Neacsu

Very slow. Just downloaded today (preorder upgrade a while back). I was hoping that the speed will be improved over Luminar 3, but is even slower. I'm sometimes editing over 1000 pictures for an event. I was hoping that Luminar 4 will be able to replace Lightroom for me, but there's no chance. I bought the upgrade mostly for the portrait AI features but is pretty far from the advertising videos. It looks mushy, skin defects removal is applied where it shouldn't, is VERY SLOW and so on.

To remove some blemishes I have to go in "Canvas" (I don't know why is there) and when I click "Clone and Stamp" it takes 27 seconds just to go into that mode. After I do the cloning, moving the picture at 100% zoom to check in closer, it is again very slow and whatever I cloned, re-appears for a few seconds, it renders again and then disappears. This is happening for every little move I make on the picture.

Software was not ready to be launched. Too many problems.

I'm thinking to make a video about it and post on Youtube. 

I'm using a MacBook Pro (2016) that works excellent with Lightroom and Photoshop:

2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Ronan Yu

SKYLUM....please work on the processing speed and stability of the Luminar 4.  It's very frustrating especially releasing a new paid version where you should have learned from the previous version (Luminar 3) what needs to be fixed!  There is really no point in having those new AIs if Luminar 4 cannot process them in a decent time and not crash!  

Lloyd O'Daniel

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing (giving Skylum more money) over and over again and expecting different results.

Ronan Yu

So true Lloyd O'Daniel!  Lesson learned...this will be my last purchase of Luminar for sure.  I gave Skylum the benefit of the doubt that they can make the new version better....but it didn't happen on this occassion.  

Same here. I purchased Luminar 3 (we all know its story here), then purchased and thought Luminar 4 will be a huge improvement as its based on a new engine... but the sequel continues... This is a huge F***ing joke!!!

Joseph Morelli

PLEASE NO MORE BS

You give us the min requirements and all of us far exceed it. This is still a POS software. NO MORE EXCUSES. How do I get my money back. TIred of your standard answer of CONTACT OUR SUPPORT TEAM. 

You must think we have all the time in the world to just jump through hoops to beta test your POS. I did not sign up as a Beta Tester. You should be paying me for all the time I waste with this program. Your HDR and Flex is good but this sucks.

Alina Skylum

@Joseph If you want to proceed with a refund, you have a right to it. Please send us your purchase receipt to support@skylum.com

Florin Neacsu

If the software doesn't get a big improvement in speed, I want my money back too!

Alina Skylum

@Florin We are preparing an update that targets performance issues. We will do our best.

Markus Siebert

When will we see the performance bugfixes? Is your eta the same as it was for the DAM in luminar 2018, that arrived with luminar 3? So do i have to wait for luminar 5 or luminar 2021?

Sorry - but as i have written in another thread, this product isn't usable. 

I really want to like it, but if i can not use it, i don't know what to do ... 

Stephen Warriner

For those who have poor performance and those who think their computers are OK with L4 please share on this thread and we can maybe see if there is some sort of pattern.

If the below link does not work the title is

survey on Luminar 4

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006655119-survey-on-Luminar-4?page=1#community_comment_360000970619

Dileepa Ranawake

I have severe slowdowns using L4. A number of crashes. Very laggy switching to different photos in my library and / or applying edits. L4 often freezes when I select a photo for a while before I can apply edits. This did not happen on lightroom. I love the AI features and looking forward to a speed fix some better library management functions (e.g. tagging, editing metadata) and better export photo functions (as in lightroom).

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Dual graphics:

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Vijay Krishna Kudva

Same here super slow. 

Using macbook 2018 top end model, with 16g ram, i7.

Using sony A7r3 raw files and Luminar is unusable.

I was balming lightroom for its speed. But i realize now how fast it is.

@Skylum you seriously need to work on improving performance before anymore AI. ( AI tools are impressive but its useless if app cant handle even bunch of photos.)

Algorithms should get applied on smaller previews before you apply to the real full picture. And please use some caching.

Everytime i switch between photos ur fitlers gets applied again and it takes minutes to load.

It's so unusable that you are making adobe rich. I don't like it but at least it handles load.

Gotthardt Lab

Just to get an idea on how bad Luminar 4 is:

On a <1y old workstation with a 3GHz Xeon processor, 32 GB RAM, SSD, updated drivers and windows 10 64 bit, it takes 5-10 seconds to switch between unedited raw files and up to 18 seconds to switch back to a raw file that had edits applied...

No other software I ever tried performed this poorly (except for Luminar 3).

Bodo Hubinger

warum nutzt Luminar den 8 GB Grafikspeicher nicht?

Jeff Li

Same here... New luminar 4 user and this is frustrating. Was mainly interested in the AI features to speed workflow but it's almost unusable. The colors are not as good as C1 and it faster by a mile. They advertise speeding up edits but didn't tell you there's a wait time so what am I saving here? My system far exceeds the minimum requirements.

Andreas Meyer

Same here! My Windows PC far exceeds the system requirements but it's almost unusable too. The performance is just as disappointing as in Luminar 3.

Kevin Kipper

I have L3, I have tried everything they have recommended. Still does not work right. I do not think I will be purchasing L4, I am seriously considering CaptureOne Pro or going back to Lightroom, which I never had a problem with. This software has so much potential, skylum, get it fixed!!

To all of us, WE ARE JUST WAISTING OUR TIME HERE!, with all this back and forth help, questions, answers, questions, empty promises, etc. If the foundation's of the app are laying wrong, it will never work out right! SLOW WILL STAY SLOW! And that’s it. For me it is all over with this kind of performance for 2020!

Post is closed for comments.