Smart Filter Problem

Answered

Comments

27 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi - Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll investigate the issue. Thanks in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Walter Vaes

I have the same problem after installing Luminar 4 on WIn 10 build 1903

Mark DeMarte

I'm having the exact same problem after I also installed Luminar 4 on Win 10

Mikey

I can also confirm the behaviour on Photoshop 2020 (Win 10) and reported it immediately after the release, but I haven‘t received a response from Skylum yet.

Rob Yoho

Yep, broken and non-functional as expected. Just as stated in original post above, after clicking on the Smart Object, Luminar 4 opens but nothing appears.  Now here's a strange twist.  When I first installed the program, the very first thing I tried was the Smart Object compatibility and it actually worked, but I have been able to reproduce, at least in part, why it worked then and not now.  When I first tried it out, I used a default Look at the bottom of the edit panel, a black and white conversion so that I could clearly see the edit as an example.  After applying the B&W Look, I went back to Photoshop and sure enough the Smart Object was there and the edit was B&W just as expected.  I double clicked the Smart Object and that took me back to Luminar 4 AND the photo opened with the B&W Look intact--just as it's supposed to work.  I have been able to reproduce that behavior with Looks only.  HOWEVER, when I do my own manual edits, go back to Photoshop, and then try to open the Smart Object in Photoshop, I get the blank screen. 

LUMINAR 4 DOES NOT WORK WITH PHOTOSHOP SMART OBJECTS AS ADVERTISED. Recall that this was an issue with Luminar 3 which eventually led to the release of Luminar Flex which did work as Smart Object. But unfortunately, that brings up another serious problem: any previous edits that were done in Photoshop 2019 with Luminar Flex as a Smart Object,  WILL NOT WORK with Photoshop 2020.  If you open a previously edited photo in Photoshop 2020 that was originally edited with Photoshop 2019 and Luminar Flex as a Smart Object, and then try to open and re-edit the Smart Object back into Flex, Flex will not accept the Smart Object. You get a warning that the file is corrupt or something like that.  I sent a note to tech support and was told in one sentence that Flex is not compatible with Photoshop 2020.  Therefore, any work you did with Photoshop 2019 and Luminar Flex as a Smart Object is now totally useless from a non-destructive, re-editing standpoint.

Any comment from Skylum as to when you will fix this gross misrepresentation about the capabilities of Luminar 4?

Rob Yoho

I just sent the following to tech support:

Please refer to this thread for similar information. https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006547399-Smart-Filter-Problem

Luminar 4 (L4) Smart Object/Filter is not working properly with Photoshop 2020 (PS20). After creating a Smart Object layer in PS20, invoking L4 as the Smart Filter, going to L4, making edits in L4, and then returning to PS20, the Smart Object is in PS20 as expected. However, if I then double click the Smart Object, L4 opens but the page is blank—the file never opens in L4 for re-editing the Smart Object.

Here’s an interesting twist: if I create a Smart Object layer in PS20, invoke L4 as the Smart Filter, go to L4 and ONLY choose a default Look (and not touch the manual edits), return to PS20, then double click on the Smart Object, it will re-open in L4 and open the Smart Object in L4. I did this with multiple Looks and every time the Smart Object worked as advertised. However, if I did ANY manual edits, returned to PS20, and then tried to open the Smart Object in L4, L4 failed to bring up the image.

Clearly Luminar 4 has a bug. When will this be corrected? This was a MAJOR advertised compatibility issue and just like Luminar 3, it doesn’t work.

ADDENDUM: I tried using the Luminar 4 as a Smart Object/Filter in the older version of Photoshop 2019 and it worked just fine.  So the problem is using Luminar 4 as a Smart Object with Photoshop 2020. I suspect that since Luminar 4 came out about the same time as the new Photoshop that Luminar 4 was not adequately tested for full compatibility with the new Photoshop.

Jens Weidelt

Even if you just turn of the smartfilter by clicking the eye symbol and on again Luminar opens but don‘t load the image ...

Lynne Ford

I don't presume to know why this is working for me but I would like to report that I have been putting Luminar 4 through its paces since installing yesterday. I have mostly been testing using it as a Photoshop Smart-filter and I have had very little crashing, especially since making the following changes in my Photoshop preferences. Not saying this is the solution, but you might see if your settings are vastly different.

Windows PC - all current system updates completes, Windows 10 Pro version 1909

Dell Optiplex 7460 AIO, i7, 3.2 Ghz, 16 GB memory, 64-bit operating system

Changes made to Preferences in Photoshop v. 20.0.7

Most of my preferences were set to default settings but I changed the following because I was occasionally crashing in Luminar when I had the two programs open 

Performance Tab:

Memory Usage - restrict to 50% available memory (originally set to 75%)

History - reduced to 25 states (originally set to 50)

Cache Levels 6 (originally set to 4), automatically changes Cache tile size to 1024K

Also...

Use Graphics processor is turned "on" (mine was on already)

Legacy compositing was "off" and is still "off"

Scratch disk: this has 567 GB free on C. No other disks set at this time to scratch disk

I have tested the smart filter steps as mentioned above on several different images  with multiple images open in Photoshop - start from a Luminar preset, apply, edit smart filter again and add additional individual filters, edit individual settings, apply, and even repeat again. There were no issues. I did not stack multiple smart filters on the same Photoshop smart object layer. I was very happy to see that any previous settings remained and did not reset when I edited the Photoshop Luminar smart filter layer again.

In Luminar I think I needed to Install the plugins under File tab first - but they may have installed automatically. I only have Photoshop and Lightroom open. Luminar only opens when it is called from Photoshop's smart filter process.

Rob Yoho

Lynne-thanks for suggestions.  However, we're talking about different versions of Photoshop.  The issue is with the latest version of Photoshop 2020 (version 21.0.1) whereas you are working with Photoshop 2019 (version 20.0.7). The nomenclature is confusing since 2019 is ver 20 and 2020 is version 21! Luminar 4 does work as advertised for Smart Filters in the older version.  I reinstalled my old Photoshop 2019 (ver 20 something) and it did work just as you already know that it does.

Hopefully I'll hear back from tech support--there are numerous threads with this same issue but I suspect Skylum has bigger issues they are dealing with based on things I've read. So for now, for me, Luminar 4 is a no-go since I run all my plugins as Smart Objects/Filters to preserve editability and right now that's not possible with Luminar 4.

I'm the OP. Thanks for comments and advice, especially to Rob Yoho. I didn't realise L4 works on Photoshop 2019 (not that I'd reinstall it just to run Luminar). Skylum support has so far got me to uninstall and reinstall L4 and, when that had no effect, to uninstall and reinstall my graphics drivers. The last I heard from them was on 18th Nov. In the light of this only being a Photoshop 2020 problem I don't think Skylum's suggestions were ever going to work.

Like Rob, I run all filters as Smart for the obvious reasons so, at present the software is useless to me. I do understand that if Adobe has changed something it may take a bit of time for Skylum to sort out their software, but it would be nice to hear back from them acknowledging the problem and letting me/us know they are working on it. In the end, it seems that most of Skylum's claims for the software and the amazing capabilities it has, are massively overstated as there doesn't seem to be much intelligence on the part of the "AI". It would still be nice to be able to use it as a "quick fix" option for the things it can do. I guess time will tell.

Finally, would there be reason why this thread doesn't appear on the "Luminar for Windows" part of the forum for me, and it is only accessible via the emails I'm getting when someone posts to it?

Thanks again.

Mikey

This problem is listed on the "Luminar for Windows" part of this forum. You can find it at the moment on page 8 with the default sort because of the other newer posts. Also it is possible to find it via search: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=smart+filter+problem

Thanks Mikey! I didn't think to look that far back as I assumed that when a thread had a new comment, it would go back to the top of the forum.

Kate Williams

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

I've forwarded this thread to our tech team so that they could retest the way Luminar 4 works as a Smart Object in PS 2020. 

Once our QAs have an update, we'll let everyone know. 

Mikey

Thank you Kate for your information. 

In the meantime I had contact with your support, to whom I sent a screen recording for further processing.

Here's a note that might be interesting for everyone else:
    Since I also did several tests, it turned out that the problem seems to depend on the number of changes made in Luminar. Single changes (regardless of photo size) can also be edited later as smart filters. Several changes (at least 4-5) cause Luminar to open empty as a smart filter. Possibly a timeout during processing is the cause of the problem.

Best regards

Mark DeMarte

That is understandable. I also tested Luminar as a smart object in Ps. Multiple changes get a blank gray screen when reopening. But when I tested with only one adjustment, Luminar reopened fully.

Jens Weidelt

Why Luminar 4 has to be reopened when only disabeling and again reenabeling the smartfilter in Photoshop?

It should only be opened by double clicking on the smartfilter.

Mikey

@Jens: The problem exists when reopening via double-click on the smarfilter. If you have done many adjustments inside Luminar it reopens empty after the double-click!

Jens Weidelt

Mikey ... no i can't agree. Have you tried it? Disable the Smartfilter and then reenable it ... Luminar 4 opens again but with no image and in Photoshop you see the activity indicator with no reaction.

btw. after double click, of course, there is the same problem ... ;o)

Mikey

@Jens: Yes, it's the same behaviour as a double-click. If used with a single adjustment (e.g. decrease highlights) it opens again correctly. But when I do multiple adjustments inside of Luminar (e.g. highlights down, intelligent contrast down, ai enhancer up, ai structure up and sunrays strength up), it reopens empty. In this case it makes no difference whether I double-click or switch the eye of the smart filter on and off.

@Jens I think we can safely say that when Luminar opens with more than one adjustment, the image doesn't load.

I have no idea why Luminar has to open when you enable/disable it, and also when you adjust a different filter, such as ACR or Nik, on the same image. No other plugin/filter I have used does this.

Jens Weidelt

Mikey ... but why is it nessecary to reopen Luminar 4 when i only wan't to see the before and after by disabbeling the smartfilter?

Kate Williams

Hi guys, 

I've got an update from our QA team. 

Indeed there is an issue, and our team has reproduced it. We'll do our best to fix it in one of the upcoming updates. 

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Stay tuned! 

@Jens, that's the logic of Photoshop and the way it handles smart objects. 

Rob Yoho

Jens- to preview the Smart Object, toggle The mask layer above the Luminar Smart Object. That will reveal the before and after view of the photo. If you toggle the actual Smart Object, it will try to take you on a round trip to Luminar. That is the way Adobe intends it to function. I cannot remember the purpose but is related to refreshing the Smart Object when other edits are stacked above it. The real problem is that in most cases you cannot go back to Luminar 4 for re-editing because Luminar 4 has a bug. That includes double clicking the Smart Object for re-editing or toggling the Smart Object on and off. 

Jens Weidelt

Rob Yoho ... thats unusual but it works. THX

Love You Photography

No update and no feedback on my complaint that I resign from the purchase. That's a great service .. not

Greg Hammond

I know this is a Luminar for Windows subsection, but I wanted to share that there are similar, though not identical, problems with L4 as a Smart Object under PS 2020 on OS X Catalina. In my case, everything appears to work flawlessly, until I click the Apply button in L4, at which point I am eventually returned to PS 2020 where none of my L4 edits are visible. Interestingly, if I double-click on the Smart Object L4 layer, L4 starts up and all the edits are there. But if I hit the Apply button, I am again eventually retuened to PS 2020, where none of the L4 edits have ben applied. If I close the file or quit PS, and then reopen the file, my layers are there, the SO is there, and if I double-lick the Luminar layer, the image appears with all its Luminar layers and edits. Very frustrating.

Kirk Osborn

Hi Greg. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Post is closed for comments.