Removal of bi-color toning, multiple filters, and a user manual

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jeffrey,

Indeed the Bi-Color Toning filter is no longer available in Luminar 4. You can use the adjustable gradient tool in the PRO tab to get some of the effect. You can also use the regular gradient masks on tools and/or filters to apply colors and toning to the top/bottom of an image.

The ability to add multiple instances of the same tool to a given layer was removed to improve performance and stability. If you wish to add a tool multiple times, you can add adjustment layers as needed.

We're in the process of finalizing the user guide. The official launch date of Luminar 4 is November 18, thus with the early release we're still putting the final touches on our online resources.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jeffrey Pohlmann

Thanks for the response.

I am very disappointed that Bi-color toning is being removed. It's such a valuable tool, especially for landscape photography. And while there are some work arounds, they are complex and cumbersome to get the same effect.

Although it's in the "deprecated" tab that only shows up when editing a photo that was previously edited in Luminar 3, it should not be _too_ difficult to bring this filter back. 

I implore you, please please please bring the filter back. 

Elena Blum

Hi Jeffrey,

The new Luminar 4 begins a new chapter in photo editing, providing a more accessible and approachable workflow for any photographer to express their creative vision. We’re changing the approach of photo editing as you know it, placing emphasis on the purpose of your images instead of the tools that get you to the end product. So we’ve done lots of research to find out the most used features.

You’re still able to use the custom Looks or Look Packs containing one of the filters that are now outdated. You'll find them in the deprecated tab.

Jeffrey Pohlmann

I want to commend the team for it's hard work. Luminar 4 is indeed more streamlined and easier to get results quickly. There were a lot of filters in Luminar 3 with duplicate functions to others. The team has done a great job of consolidating them into more defined filters. 

However, just because one tool may not be used as often as others doesn't mean it isn't an important and useful tool. 

I am upset because you have removed a tool – the Bi-color toning filter –  that was an important part of my workflow, and you haven't given any tool, procedure, or feature to replace it. 

And the worst part is, the filter is already there and functioning like it does in Luminar 3... it's just hidden behind the "deprecated" tab. Moving it to be part of the Pro tab would be a minor change, without a great deal of effort. The code is already there and part of Luminar 4. 

Being in the Pro tab will let your casual users know that it may not be something they're interested in using. But for those of us that rely on it for landscape photography, it's available. 

By removing tools and features that your pro and semi-pro users have relied on for years, and not giving a good replacement, is just going to alienate your main user base. Apple learned this lesson when they changed to Final Cut Pro X. They removed features that were essential to much of their user base, and in the process lost those users to Adobe. Apple learned the lesson, and brought those features back, but a little too late. Apple is a large company with many products and can afford to lose users to Adobe. Can you? 

Please don't make that mistake. And for goodness sake, bring back the bi-color toning filter. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jeffrey,

I appreciate your feedback on this. I've added the revival of the bi-color toning filter to our feature request list for our developers' consideration.

Jeffrey Pohlmann

Thank you.

And thank you for listening to your users and their needs. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.