Answered

Comments

22 comments

Robert Nagler

Same issue.  I sent an email to Skylum

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Robert,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help!

Colin Grant

Why can you not help on here, Angela? That way you would help everybody at once? I know some might be machine specific but certainly a lot of faults are generic.

Robert Hughes

When I go to support it asks me for my operating system, etc.  Then it ask what app I'm using.  Luminar 4 is not even a choice so I can't go any further.  If I select Luminar 3 then somebody in your tech department is going to be all confused and trying to give me Luminar 3 advice.

I agree with Mr. Grant...put the fix out for public display.

I'm running Mac High Sierra.

I had the exact same problem with Luminar 3 and finally someone at Skylum sent me a detail list of steps to follow and it worked.  Unfortunately I didn't keep that list but I need something similar now.

Vita Bergman

Hi Robert!

Please make sure that you have followed the steps below on how to add Luminar 4 as an extension in Apple Photos correctly:

1. Make sure Photos is closed.
    2. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences.
    3. In the window that opens click Extensions.
    4. Select Photos Editing from the list on the left.
    5. Make sure that the checkbox in front of Luminar 4 is ticked in the list on the right.
    6. Launch Photos and double-click on a photo you wish to edit.
    7. Click Edit in the upper right corner.
    8. Click on the Extensions button (looks like three dots in a circle) in the upper right.
    9. Select Luminar 4.
    10. When Luminar 4 loads perform the necessary edits in it, and then click Save Changes in the upper right.

If this does not work for you, please contact our support team and simply mention that your problem is related to Luminar 4. https://skylum.com/support 

Robert Hughes

Obviously Vita did not read my original complaint.

This is the key sentence in my complaint Vita:

When  I go to System Preferences/Extensions it is not there so please don't suggest I put a check mark by it and it'll then work because it's simply not listed.

So Vita, "...PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST I PUT A CHECK MARK BY IT....."

Angela Andrieux

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the unnecessary instructions. Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so we can further investigate the issue.

Morten Naess

Any news on this. I have the same problem....

Kate Sanchez

any resolution???  I have the same issue

Colin Grant

Working fine on my Mac and has been since the install

Cathe Okuniewicz

I have the same problem. Have restarted etc., a no show.

Cathe Okuniewicz

OK, so I finally ran Maintenance and then Disk Repair. Now it shows up.

Anastasia Davis

Those who have issues with Photos Extension,follow the steps below:

1. Remove Luminar 4 with AppCleaner.
      Appcleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only the applications themselves but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.
      Download AppCleaner from here: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner.
      When removing Luminar 4, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminar4
    2. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    3. Launch Terminal.
    4. Paste defaults delete com.skylum.luminar4 in the Terminal window and press Enter on your keyboard.
    5. Paste defaults delete com.skylum.luminar4.photoextension in the Terminal window and press Enter on your keyboard.
    6. Close Terminal and restart your Mac.
    7. Download Luminar 4 here: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4.dmg 
    8. Double-click the zip folder to extract Luminar.
    9. Copy the extracted file to your Applications directory.
    10. Launch Luminar, activate it if necessary, and open any image in it.
    11. Navigate to System Preferences > Extensions and see if Luminar is displayed in the list for Photos Editing. Enable it if needed.

In case Luminar isn't in the list when you're on Step 10, no worries: restart your computer one more time and make sure that Reopen windows when logging back in is unchecked.

Launch Luminar, open any image in it, and navigate to System Preferences > Extensions one more time, Luminar 4 should be on the list now.

Zbigniew Jasiołek

I have exactly the same problem - and not for the first time. I also had it with Aurora HDR and Luminar Flex. Many people have the same problem and Anastasia gives a similar procedure in other threads in this forum for other applications (L3, Aurora, Flex ....). After several repeated attempts (!!!) according to the procedure from points 1 to 11 above, Aurora and Flex were finally installed as Photos extensions (on macOS High Sierra).
    L4 installs without any problem as a plug-in for Lightroom but, despite many attempts, it failed to install as an extension to Photos.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Zbigniew Jasiolek,

If the instructions posted by my colleague, Anastasia, above did not resolve the issue then please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so we can investigate the issue.

Zbigniew Jasiołek

In the end you changed the dmg installation file. I tried reinstalling according to the above procedure. L4 installed correctly, i.e. it is already visible in Photos as an extension. For me, after 6-7 attempts, the matter is resolved.

Matthew Stough

I too am suffering from not having Luminar 4 show up as a Photo Editing extension in System Preferences.  

Could it be your interesting and non-macOS-like installer?  Just stick with the OS on which you were born...Mac!

macOS:  High Sierra

P.S.  Your apps that installed with Extension-ability no-issue:  Luminar 3, Flex, Aurora HDR 2019

Helena Carter

Matthew Stough,

If the instructions posted by my colleague, Anastasia, above did not resolve the issue then please reach us at www.skylum.com/support so we can assist you in a better way.

Zbigniew Jasiołek

As I wrote above, my problem has been solved with the new version of dmg installer.

Michael Ebner

My Story. I used the link from an email Skylum sent when my pre-order of Luminar 4 was available. It downloaded an install with a .app extension. The product installed and worked BUT like others it did not show as an extension to the Photo app. It also did not show in the Preferences/Extensions as an option to 'click on'. 

I followed the instructions from Anastasia Davis above to de-install it. Then I downloaded a .dmg install from Skylum's website and installed it again. NOPE, still didn't show up in the Photo app or Preferences/Extensions. Re-booted my MAC laptop (running High Sierra). NOPE, still no joy. It still wasn't showing up.

For the heck of it, I re-installed from the .dmg download WITHOUT de-installing before trying to install again. I got a message saying that the app already existed and do I want to replace it. I answered yes. 

When the re-install was complete, I started the Photo app and YES, Luminar 4 was now available as one of my editing options. I've no idea how/or why installing twice without a de-install solved the problem, but it did. 

Harvey Gordin

Using Luminar 3 (given the issues with it I've not been compelled to upgrade to 4...but that is another story)

Anyway, the extension is there - however when I send an image from Apple Photos to Luminar for editing, the plug-in does not load.  Instead the full  Luminar app loads, and there is no option to save the image back to Apple Photos.   That is there is no 'round trip' option like anyone using the Adobe Ecosystem would be familiar with.

Looking on the Luminar website this does appear to be a known issue with Mac/ Catalina, however there is no info regarding when/if a solution will be issued.   I've installed the latest update for Luminar 3, but that didn't help.

Just wanted to make anyone else experience this issue aware that is a known problem - and it doesn't look like the Delete/Reinstall/Delete Voodoo will solve this one.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Harvey,

Luminar 3 is fully compatible with macOS Catalina. What is the method you are using to send images from Apple Photos to Luminar 3?

To access Luminar 3 as a Photos Extension, please click Edit button in the upper right, then click on the icon showing a circle with 3 dots in the upper right to access the extensions list and choose Luminar 3. Once you've completed your edits click the Save Changes button in the upper right corner of the screen to go back to Apple Photos.

If that is the procedure you're following, please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll gladly investigate the issue. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.