Comments

21 comments

Adam Grodzki

Hmmm.... I was hoping that with Luminar 4 the support for M43 will be full. However, the program still reads only a raw dump from the matrix and does not include such an important element as the correction of lens distortion. My Panasonic G9, like other m43 cameras, automatically corrects imperfections of lenses. During the live view, in RAW file previews and in JPEGs generated by the camera. With Luminar, every time I open RAW I have no idea what I will see. Browsing this forum I've found similar topics from Olympus and Pansonic users. Personally, I did not check, but from what I know Lightroom corrects the lens distortion using the in-file data. Anyway, you don't have to look far. The included with Panasonic Silkypix software also includes the lens parameters. Lack of this function in Luminar means that you have to do a lot of unnecessary (and time consuming) work that had been previously done the camera.

I like Luminar, so I convert the RAW with Silkypix to TIFF and play with them in Luminar… But it’s a pain in..

Three files from me:

RAW file by Lumiar 3/4

Silkypix:

JPEG from G9

There is a bit of wigneting on the last two files - it's ok, because i used a ND filter with a CPL+UV

Older topics about this issue:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360043693552-Luminar-3-distorts-RAW-images-from-Panasonic-G7

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002766231-Automated-m43-lens-corrections-using-raw-file-data - from two years back!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment actions Permalink
    Elena Blum

Hi Adam,

Please note that Luminar opens the photo as it is, without any correction. But there is a lens correction in Luminar 4, which you can use

uwe völker

hello and good day
    My camera is Panasonic DC-G91.
    Luminar 3/4 does not support the RAW format and Kamera Profile,
    with the conversion with "Adobe DNG Converter"
    works the RAW development but there are still no camera profiles.
    See pictures.
    Thanks for your help.
    greetings Uwe

Helena Carter

Hi Uwe,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could look deeper into the issue.

Adam Grodzki

Hi Elen,

Thanks for a quick response. I know about the lens correction tool- it was present in the Luminar 3 too.
    But still (in L4) the tool doesn't use the lens correction data supplied in the RAW file by the camera/lens. If it would, the correction applied to a photo shoot at the same focal length would be identical. And here is an example that it still isn't :-( :

The left side is the RAW without any corrections in L3 - with EXIF info, and on the right after applying the auto lens correction in L4. The same camera+lens combo with a UV+CPL+NDfilter on it at 12 mm. The amount of correction is different.

Helena Carter

Adam,

Please, send the original files to Support Contact form as being requested so we could report this issue and check with our technical department. Hope for your cooperation.

Alexander Milinski

Is the Sony a6400 missing by error? The new a6100 and a6600 are already there.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Alexander! I have reached our technical department so to check it. Please write an email to the support team:
    https://skylum.com/support

Thomas Steffen

I have a similar problem. In Luminar3 the RAW development works perfect with my Sony A6500 and a SEL18135. Here the developed result:

In Luminar4, the same RAW file is still distorted after RAW development. Here is the result:

I already contacted the support twice, but i got no answer. Maybe the mail did not reach the support, because I also did not receive a confirmation email. I uploaded the Original files and screenshots here: https://workupload.com/file/X4yFfduV

Because of the size (33MB) , i couldn't submit it via the contact form.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thomas,

Our support team is especially busy with all of the questions about Luminar 4, so a response might take a bit longer than usual, but please know that someone will be in touch with you via email as soon as possible

Thomas Steffen

Hello Angela,

no problem. In case that my mail did not reach the support, everything what is needed to reproduce the bug is inside the uploaded ZIP file in the post above.
    Here is an animated gif to show the difference between the developed photo in Luminar 3 (correct, no distortion) and Luminar 4 (not correct, distorted). The camera and the lens are supported (they worked perfect in Luminar 3):

Regards
    Thomas

Hello,

Canon eos m6 mark II also do not have camera profile. Also when I'm exporting edited files (CR3) all file information in jpeg format is missing. So no metadata and settings of camera is exported to jpeg file. With canon 70d profiles and exporting works fine.

But when CR3 files are converted to DNG than all exported data is here in jpeg.

So there are some bugs in CR3 support. (It is also the same with RP and 90d files).

Anna V

Hi,

We are aware of the issue with EXIF data missing on export of CR3 files in Luminar 4 and we will do our best to fix it soon. 

I’m using eos 6D2 with Luminar 4
    Is there any measure so that Luminar 4 could render color closer to Canon’s original color ?
    Thanks a lot

Angela Andrieux

Hi - If you download and install the Adobe DNG Converter (no need to load your images or convert them), you'll get access to the standard camera profiles, which you can then choose in Luminar 4 in Essentials > Light > Advanced Settings > Profile.

Thomas Steffen

Hi Angela, i know the Support team is very busy, but i am still waiting for an answer of the wrong RAW-Development. It seems that L4 did not get the same results as L3 with a supported camera and lens!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thomas,

Apologies for the delays! I just downloaded your files and was able to remove the distortion by adjusting the Lens Distortion slider:

I realize this doesn't explain why this slider wasn't needed in L3, but is needed in L4. I'll ping our support team and see if I can get an update on that aspect.

For now, that should at least help you with your current editing.

Thomas Steffen

Hello Angela,

thank you for your fast answer. I knew that I could fine-tune the photo with the help of the slider, but I would like to undistort the photo with the help of its lens parameters exactly (automatically like in Luminar 3). It seems to be a bug in Luminar 4.

Anna V

Hi Thomas, 

The thing is that Luminar uses a pure RAW converter. It shows more information than any other photo processor. This appears on the photo due to the optic peculiarity of the lens structure. 

There are Lens and Perspective Correction tools in Luminar in Raw Develop Filter (in Luminar 3) or in Canvas tab > Lens and Geometry, so you can fix your photo manually. The only reason you do not see it in Photoshop or Lightroom due to the automatical Lens Correction.

Thomas Steffen

What i wanted to know is, if there will be an automatic lens correction again?
    I don't want to roughly fix my photos per slider.

Anna V

Hi Thomas, 

We haven't has the automatic Lens Correction before. 

We always provide with the choice to use the slider or to crop/or to leave it as original. 

However, we highly appreciate your feedback and we will consider adding automatic Lens Correction. 

Post is closed for comments.