what about Signature Looks in Luminar 4 : keep deprecated filters and blend modes

Comments

11 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Marc,

I appreciate your feedback. 

Please be advised of the following:

The blend mode for filters will not be available in Luminar 4 as it will simplify and speed up the Image Processing Workflow.

The blend modes will be available only for Layers, thus you'll be able to apply the filter to a new layer and blend the layer itself. 

If you need to use the filter twice, you'll be able to apply it to the new adjustment layer. 

All the Luminar 3 / Luminar Flex looks will be made compatible with Luminar 4. 

I do recommend you to try out Luminar 4 when it ships and test the workflow yourself. 

Comment actions Permalink
    marc labro

hello Kate,

this is a nonsense.

Do you imagine that for a daily workflow :

- curve to lighten foreground in luminosity mode + mask

- curve to darken sky in luminosity mode+mask

- texture in overlay mode+mask

- texture in multiply mode+mask

- raw develop+ai+radiance+orton

we now need 5 adjustment layers ! we have M2 NVME hard disk, boosted graphic card for Lightroom and Flex and you remove the essentials of retouching to be faster. It takes more time with the new workflow than with old hardware.

even grouping filters in a panel requires 3-5 clicks instead of one with the amazing 52 luminar3 filters.

Luminar 3/Flex are very fast on my machine, except wacom tablet.

marc

Anastasia Davis

Hi Marc!
    Thanks for your feedback. I will forward it to our developers.

Peter Flett

I believe Marc is 100% correct......the migration to Luminar 4 in the rhetoric of speeding up the process from Luminar is misguided.

Luminar 3 might indeed win out and the migration to a whiz bang canned algorithmic program such as Luminar 4 is not a given. 

marc labro

Thank you Peter,

Moreover the more i look youtube tuto, the more i am disapointed.

if you want to emphasize grass, go to a landscape panel. if you want to add glow, remember it was in creativity. if after glow in creativity you want an orton, remember it was in portrait,...

we clic too many times to find what we need.

never seen such nonsense.

we were happy with our 52 filters in a single toolbar, having access to masks, blend modes, any combination of filters for creativity...

AI sky replacement and AI structure were the cherry on the cake. we didn't expect such deep change in workflow.

Skylum could provide an "advanced" environment as before in settings...

marc

Peter Flett

All previous presets used in Luminar 3 are now deprecated in Luminar 4 and do not realize the previous visual results.

This must be an enormous downside to many including myself who have worked on custom presets only to find that they are now obsolete. This is a show stopper for me and I will continue with Luminar 3 and sidebar my purchase of Luminar 4 until this issue is resolved - and even then I still have reservation regarding the AI filter outcomes.

Lukasz Krzywiecki

Marc and Peter are 100% correct!

These “issues” are very frustrating.

Please bring back the previous way of organizing the interface.

Please bring back the possibility to use the same filter several times.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Lukasz! I passed your comments to our developers.

Best regards,

marc labro

don't forget to restore blend modes per filter.

I played three hours already with Luminar 4 and it is amazing. Having so many new tools at once is gorgeous.

But I am blocked already not being able to change blend mode of a filter inside a stack.

all my color gradings are broken and i need to switch to photoshop or ON1 Photo raw 2020 to finalize editing.

A nonsense ! using separate layers doesn't help

As far as I'm concerned this whole application is a mess and the messages I'm getting from Skylum are all over the place. I too paid for this and after having requested a refund, still waiting. Here's one brilliant response as to why Luminar 4 should not be considered an update to L3 .

Alina Skylum States...

'Upgrades are usually separate apps, sometimes with completely different tools and features. We didn't want to release an updated version of Luminar 3, but we wanted to make something new'

So similarly, youshould not expect Photoshop 2020 to be an update of Photoshop 2019 but a totally different application. If you use OnOne, then it's foolish to expect it to be an update, instead you should expect a totally different bit of software. This is just crazy.

Absolutely every comment in this thread is bang on from the inability to transfer one's own filter presets, the redundncy of many of the L3 filters (Skylums explanation is that Clarity, Structure and Microcontrast have all been combined into Ai Structure, How? They're all totally different functions is but one example of crazy), no longer able to use multiple instances of one filter, inability to order and re-order the applied filters, the fact that if you want to change a filter value you have to wade through smiley face, paint palette, sun and the word pro - what the hell? Calling Radiance  - Mystical?

I don't understand who this version has been designed for. It's too advanced for beginners but way too restrictive for professional photo editing or finishing. Sold on skies and portraits but no mention that the entire previous workflow has been ripped out.

Remember though, Skylum state it's not an upgrade, it's a new app.

THEN CALL IT THAT SKYLUM! Luminar Ai or Luminar Essentials.

marc labro

I agree on some points but not on all.

I am very dispointed by the changes which, as you say, are too complex for beginers and too restrictive for advanced who work with opacity, blend modes, masks,... for years.

This is why I have definitely forgotten the idea to replace Lightroom with skylum.

So, i am enjoying lightroom for raw develop, perspective, dodge and burn, profiles, presets and use skylum as artistic effect and i must say Luminar 4 rocks with respect to other plugins I have too.

i have imported all my looks in luminar 4 and check if they are supported. it seems yes but not 100% sure.

i think we must remain open to a new platform because Luminar 4has some powerful features and filters.

I suppose they will come back to old features if many people complain.

if nobody complains, it measn that we are dinosaurs unable to change our habits :-)

marc

Please sign in to leave a comment.