Luminar and DXO Photolab anyone?

Comments

19 comments

Helena Carter

Hi,

Please, note that we don't officially support DxO Photolab, but I will make sure to forward your feedback to our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mujabad1

Hello Helena. Thank you for your response. I know, Luminar doesn't t officially support DXO Photolab, and maybe I asked my question in the wrong place. I presume it's always possible to import a .tiff file into Luminar (and I' m sure I can export as 16 bit .tiff from DXO Photolab). Ofcourse sometimes I' ll  import a raw file into Luminar directly (especially with landscapes, I think).

My question was, if there are more people that use DXO Photolab ánd Luminar and if they want to share their experiences. That' s all. Like I said, I may have posted this question in the wrong place here on the Skylum website? If so, can you tell me what the right place is?

Thank you!

Colin Grant

You can Export to Application from DxO PL. So you can export the image to Luminar for editing. It is not working as a plugin though and I do not ever see DxO supporting that. PL works well with Nik, which is not surprising really seeing as it is a DxO product..

Mujabad1

@Colin Grant. Thank you. That' s what I mean. I do not need Luminar as a plugin; exporting images to (Luminar)Application is enough.             I also know about the Nik software and DXO (there' s even a separate button for Nik Software inside PL, even when Nik is not bought), but I have rather high expectations for Luminar 4. I hope I' m right, but time will tell (otherwise I paid € 79,- too much already).

Bob Shrader

@Mujabad1. I use DxO PhotoLab 3 for conversion of RAW files and then export to a TIF. Luminar 3 (and Luminar 4, I expect) then can be used on the TIF files. A great combination.

Philippe CARON

J'utilise suivant mes besoins Photoshop CC 2020, DXO PRO ELITE qui est un derawtiseur génial et depuis hier LUMINAR 4 qui est fabuleux dans sa partie avec l'utilisation d’algorithme Intelligent. 

Il n'y a pas un seul logiciel qui fasse tout à merveille.

à mon humble avis... mais peut être que Luminar 5.... ?

Mujabad1

Thank you Bob and Philippe.

Bob: " Standard" skies in Luminar seem to be Jpegs. How do they match with your Tiff files?

Philippe: Comment est-il possible que vous utilisiez déjà Luminar 4? Puis-je déjà le télécharger?? / How is it possible that you already use Luminar 4? Is it already possible to download Luminar 4? (I pre paid, but didn't t see anything yet)

I just read on a DpReview forum, that Luminar 4 can already be downloaded for customers who prepaid? Is this true? I prepaid, but didn't t see any download possibilities already. Maybe not true?

Bob Shrader

@Mujabad1. I don't have Luminar 4 yet -- prepaid but have not received an email about downloading -- thus I can't comment on your question about Luminar 4 sky replacement.

Mujabad1

Thank you Bob.

I just read this as a response to my question on DPR:

“This week you may notice a number of Luminar artists sharing their feedback on Luminar 4 and images made with this brand-new version. These are the first 20,000 customers who pre-ordered Luminar 4 back in July. Early Birds always get our software a week in advance. Keep it in mind for the future!”

That was a message someone had received.

To me that explains why.

Peter Holka

I got my copy on 11.11. I can say, this a first version I can work with....

Philippe CARON

les quelques 20 000 premières personnes qui ont précommandés les premières ont eu la chance de recevoir luminar 4 avec 1 semaine d'avance. 9a laisse les serveurs respirer j'imagine... car Lundi ça va télécharger dur car LUMINAR 4 en vaut la peine ! 
    encore un peu de patience, vous ne serez pas déçu !

Mujabad1

@peter Holka. Can you please explain?

Mujabad1

@Philippe. Merci beacoup! I’ll wait and see. Especially how it will work together with DXO PL and .tiff/.jpegs

EDWARD HUDGEONS

I currently use Luminar 4 and PL3. Depending on the job at hand, I will convert in PL3, and use "export to application" into Luminar 4 as a tiff.  I don't convert to jpeg until the final rendering of the photo. I have found something though that bothers me about Luminar 4. The export dialog has no real converter tools in it. So if you find you need to change the dpi and/dimentions of the final photo, you are better to export it as is in tiff format and reopen in in PS or even go back to PL to do your sizing. But export from PL to Luminar is pretty easily done. You should do your resizing if needed in the PL dialog before exporting. Hope that may be of some help.

Bob Shrader

I got my copy of Luminar 4 and have been using it with DxO PhotoLab 3 but my method is slightly different than that of Edward. I prefer DxO PhotoLab Elite (along with ViewPoint 3 Elite installed) as my starting point because rendering of raw files with automatic lens correction is better (no auto lens correction in Luminar). 

Because I use borders and watermarks on my finished images, the TIF from DxO is opened in an editor (mine for this work is PhotoLine). From that external editor I then use Luminar 4 as a plugin. Unfortunately, Luminar 4 doesn't have transparency, border or watermark capabilities. 

Mujabad1

Thank you Edward en Bob!

Edward, That' s my intended workflow as well. Thank you for that resizing advice.

Bob, I also have PL Elite (also including Viewpoint). I don' t yet use watermarks or borders (but I might use borders later). Thank you.

EDWARD HUDGEONS

I like the interface of Luminar 4 better than 3. It has a bit cleaner look.  Luminar is just plain fun to play with if you catch my meaning. I concur with Bob on the lens correction in PL Elite (which I do use), as a better starting point. You also can use NIK tools to do borders straight out of PL, and then return. But I have to get back on track here. In the end, no one will notice if there is a little lens distortion. The viewers, for the most part, can't perceive the distortion as there is nothing to compare it to. I am not talking about V-shaped buildings etc. Just the plain lens distortions. By the time we have used the AI tools, it would be a coin-toss as to what the original image looked like. The goal is what you get and your viewers get.

Philippe CARON

comme pas mal d'autres participants de la communauté je me dirige vers l'utilisation prioritaire de DXO pour dématricer et rectifier les verticales et horizontales en particulier puis terminer dans Luminar 4 qui fait des choses bluffantes avec ses différents outils IA.

J'attends avec impatience les améliorations prévues d'ici le debut 2020 par la feuille de route. Il y a en effet pas mal d'ajouts nécessaires ou de modifications/compléments. Toutefois L4 est un grand pas en avant !

Philippe CARON

La version L 4.1 me laisse un peu sur ma faim. Sur un amélioré la vitesse (c'était urgent même avec une machine puissante!), Corrigé des plantages (inadmissibles), amélioré des bugs, sur un retapé la façade pour qu'elle soit plus présentable .... cela aurait du être fait pour la sortie de Luminar 4! 
    Mais des progrès réels, l'ajout de fonctions absentes ou un fonctionnement bizarre quand on est habitué à l'autre choisi dans PS ou DXO ou Capture ONe, laisse un manque cruel au fil de l'expérience.
    Pour le moment les outils d'IA permettent de jouer agréablement, mais sur le voit bien l'IA va faire son entrée AUSSI dans d'autres logiciels plus aboutis .... concurrence !

Please sign in to leave a comment.