Luminar 4 Skies replacement issues.

Answered

Comments

24 comments

Geoffrey Hahn

Shouldn't this have been reported directly to Skylum, and not placed on a public forum?

Comment actions Permalink
    Rajan Dutta

I am not the first or the last to leave a feedback or review on a public forum. It's already been done by many on various websites and YouTube so I don't see there's anything wrong with doing so. It only helps the developers address the issues for you and me to enjoy glitch free softwares after paying for it. Don't understand why would you want to leave that comment unless you're from the company and it hurts your personal business interests.

Elena Blum

Hi Rajan,

Thanks for your feedback and for giving us a clue!

You will be able to use your own sky images in file format jpeg/jpg, tif/tiff, png in Luminar 4.

Stay tuned!

Martial Fournier

Super

Kim Austin

@Rajan Dutta

Thank you for your feedback -- most users like to see what is experienced by a beta tester, as it gives a good indication of the usefulness of the software. Anyone objecting to your public airing of your experience would likely have an interest in the company.  Thanks again.

Mujabad1

Elena. What file format are the standard skies in Luminar 4? I do not mean my own.

Colin Grant

Good question, Mujabad1. From the earlier post it would seem they are jpegs but if they are maybe that is just temporary? I am sure Elena will fill in the detail :-)

Mujabad1

If jpeg, then I' ll probably not be able to use these standard skies, when importing a .tiff or even raw file. I' ll never import a jpeg.

Anna V

Mujabad1,

The standard skies are the high-resolution JPEGs for now. 

Mujabad1

Thank you Anna! I wonder how this will combine with imported .tiff files....Can you tell me how this combination will work out?

You say: " ....high-resolution JPEGS for now.." 

Does this mean other file formats are in pipeline/considered/possible in (near) future?

Thank you again.

Anna V

Mujabad1,

We try to listen to our Artists. 

In case we receive a considerable number of requests to add the standard skies with TIFF format, we will definitely consider it in the future. 

You will be able to check everything out on your own in 10 days. 

Mujabad1

Thank you Anna for this fast response!

I' m sure looking forward to using/trying Luminar 4 in 10 days! To me it' s also a big advantage, that I can use skies that I shot myself. It seems that there are certain restrictions here (?). Can they only be JPEG? Or also .tiffs/raw when using on a imported .tiff/raw file?

Mark W

I would prefer to have tiff files due to the additional resolution that can be provided, 

When cooking I don't mix margarine and butter and mixing raw (or .tiff made from raw) with jpg seems like mixing two different quality levels.

I would also love it if there was a catalog of different skies we could download/use that have been provided by other users as well as by Skylum.

Mujabad1

@Mark. I agree 100%. I hope that at least I can use .tiff skies produced by myself. Better ofcourse would be to have a choice; import either .tiff or Jpeg files. Do not wish to use jpeg skies on .tiff imported images.

Colin Grant

There are those who say it makes no difference.

Mark W

When I first started getting into photography, I shot in jpg.  After several years I switched to raw after learning from other, more experienced photographers.  Raw and/or tiff have much greater depth and detail available than jpg, no matter the quality of the jpg.  

That is why a company like Topaz has created a "JPG to RAW" conversion tool.  It uses AI to extrapolate/interpret data and tries to create a more "Raw-ish" image.  I've tried it and sometimes it helps, sometimes not but I notice a difference in what I can do with a photo in post-processing when using raw/tiff vs. jpg.  

It may make no difference to some but to others, it makes all the difference.

I tend to lie in the middle.  Not as serious/good as many, but I do notice a difference and will always take a higher resolution option when given a choice.

Barry Thompson

As the majority of my sky files are shot in raw file format, I find it erksome to have to convert them into a file format that is understood by Luminar 4. I would hope this will change in an update soon.

Colin Grant

What do you think a raw file is? Do you see it as an advanced image file like a tiff?

Barry Thompson

A raw file to me is one straight out of the camera, it has no knowledge of colour space or resolution.

Colin Grant

Yes, it is a heap of data that needs to be interpreted by a raw editor. It is maybe not surprising therefore that it cannot be added as an image layer for sky replacement purposes. Not even Ps can do that, it has to hand off to ACR first.

Laurent BENOIT

Had Luminar 3, upgraded to 4, mainly  for the sky remplacement feature,

just realized it works on JPEGs only. very disappointed.

Many (?) / some of us buy expensive lenses, cameras, shoot RAW, edit tiff , export, print and store in tiff,

JPEG may never be involved in the process.

As very well said above: you never mix margarine and butter.

Please Skylum, give the tiff/raw sky replacement option.

Elena Blum

Hi Laurent,

AI Sky Replacement will work with your own photos if they are in one of the following formats: JPEG, JPG, PNG, and TIFF.  

So you can surely use your tiff-files.

Laurent BENOIT

Hi Elena,

thanks for the express answer...on a sunday )))

If we may import a sky in tiff, -and please correct me if I'm wrong- :

the original photo, the one I work on, must be a JPEG only.

AI Sky replacement do not work on a Tiff, neither on a RAW.

And I really hope this will be corrected very soon.

Laurent BENOIT

ok. My bad, and all my apologies :

Ai sky replacement works on TIFFs and RAWs, as standalone and as a plugin.

(I was testing on an image without enough sky)

sorry.

Please sign in to leave a comment.