sharpening tool

Comments

10 comments

Vita Bergman

Hi Shimon!

We are constantly working on developing our editing algorithms.

You may also contact our support team for further assistance https://skylum.com/support so we can find a solution together.

Comment actions Permalink
    JOHAN GEYER

VITA and SHIMON

Without offense, the answer was courteous but not supportive. My understanding which stands to be corrected is that Luminar needs good deconvolution sharpening which helps if the raw file is not perfectly sharp to begin with. Something photographers  always need in the real world. C1 seems to apply it automatically as it cannot harm an already sharp image but will dramatically improve an offbeat one, whereas PS for an example gives it as tools eg smartsharpening and movement correction. The ordinary sharpening tools including highpass are more contrast enhancement based and give improved appearance of sharpening to the viewer, of an image with already acceptable sharpness.

JOHAN.

Shimon Golan

Thanks JOHAN,

It also looks like a lot of fine grained details are lost in the raw file processed in Luminar ( for example in the eyebrows it was very prominent ).

I've attached an example raw file  as a link and you could compare for example how much more details you see in the eyebrows in the raw file if you open in either Lightroom or Capture one , compared on Luminar.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J8ZDxFBU2scBGSxbFoXMQsk4SUjdENNO 

Elena Blum

Hi,

Luminar 3 uses a different working principle. Since it does not create a copy of the photo, first, you see a preview file before the picture is loaded completely.

Johan Geyer

Hi Shimon

I just did a quick look at PS Smartsharpen. That was just opening via Camera Raw without adjustment then Filters, Sharpen, Smartsharpen at 2 and 250. It came out with significant sharpness and I could see every hair including in the eye the image of you taking the picture with what seems like cloudy sky and possibly a street scene with you slightly crouching. Sharper than this photo is impossible. If it degrades in Luminar, I stand by my comments. I didn't check Luminar but never uses it for sharpening anyway. However Luminar is hard to beat for noise reduction. But be careful not to do noise reduction too soon in the workflow as that will impact. Anyway C1 cannot do a better job than my quick try.

Johan.

Shimon Golan

Hi Johan and Elena, 

Johan - I could see every hair as well in C1 and Lightroom , just like you mentioned , but not in Luminar :(

Elena - I referred to the results in Luminar when trying to edit it , not in preview mode.

Johan Geyer

Hi Simon

Did look at Luminar and there is definitely a challenge for the developers. It may be related to profile but there is a missing sharpener deconvolution tool too. Did a crosscheck with DXO Photo Lab 2 raw development and further Nik raw sharpener (which became even over the top for this image). Very happy with this try too. I found no movement issues in your image at all. Beautiful baby by the way!

Johan.

Johan Geyer

Apology for the name error.

Shimon Golan

Thanks a lot Johan ! 

My mother likes  to call me Simon so it's OK :)

EDWARD HUDGEONS

I was going to mention the NIK toolbox. The sharpening done with the NIK tool, and there are two (raw pre-sharpening, and output sharpening) and they work just like the names imply. C1 is great, but I think NIK actually can in many cases outperform C1's results. And if you have not used the NIK Dfine2 tool, try it sometime with a very dirty, scratched, dusty, or otherwise damaged photo. Most of the NIK tools will play nicely with Luminar. Try to stay with TIF at high resolution when using these tools as there can be information loss in every transfer made to and from different products. Enjoy yourselves!

Please sign in to leave a comment.