Images not showing up in Luminar 3.1.4

Answered

Comments

57 comments

Louis Pengue

One more comment. My suggested fix - renaming the photo images folder - seems to fix the problem with the folder data linkages with Luminar. The Luminar Catalog file - in a different folder in Pictures, holds all the edit history. If you didn’t rename the catalog file then all edit history remains. The catalog file refers to the Luminar Library folder which holds all the images. You’re just renaming the folder where L3 or L4 looks for the images to apply edits. Hope this didn’t add to any confusion.

Comment actions Permalink
    Pam Dam

bonjour

merci pour ces précieux conseils.

je ne suis quand même pas trop content de mon affaire.

je ne suis pas informaticien, et ces manipulations, citées en anglais, sont assez complexes.

mais ça marche... alors merci beaucoup. ;)

je me demande quand même si le passage à L4 est une bonne idée.

Louis Pengue

I am very pleased that it worked for you. Thanks for letting me know. 

Justin Swartz

I keep my photo images folder that I have linked in Luminar in Documents on my Mac.  The one that is currently linked in L3 is a subfolder of the main one.  Call the main one J Photos, and the sub S photos. S photos is what is linked in Luminar.  I tried renaming S Photos folder this morning and that didn't work so I restored.  Just tried renaming the J photos folder as you said it needed to be the top/first folder or something like that.  Same thing as this morning.  It fixed the missing and multiple images but all edits are gone.   Is no one from Skylum monitoring this thread at all????  

Louis Pengue

I'm back at the computer again. Let me put in a few screen shots to show how I'm organized - it may help.

This is my Library Tab in L4 - this is where I renamed "Luminar Library" to "Luminar Library #1" - that was the fix that got rid of all my "folders" issues. I was working from an older Catalog file that I got from Time Machine. I had not done any editing after I restored the catalog file - so my edits were only current to the date of that Catalog file. You probably don't need to do this but I was trying many many things to get L4 working for me again.

Below is my iMac's folder structure - you can see where "Luminar Library #1" resides. The original name for my library folder was "Luminar Library" I put all images in that folder in subfolders per each project. The folder labeled "Luminar Library L3 Fix" was a rename from within L3 to see if the problem was fixed in L3 as well - it was, all is good in L3 now.

Below is the other L4 associated folder where the Catalog is kept. If you are restoring from an old Catalog, just restore the "Luminar Catalog.luminar" file. The other "Luminar Catalog" folder is my L3 catalog location.

I did many things that screwed up L4 royally before I stumbled into this fix. I always just used Time Machine to restore the Catalog file.

A word of caution, if you have renamed your Library folder where images are kept, and then restore an older Catalog file from BEFORE the the renaming of he Library folder. L34 or L3 will just crash and not open at all. Its because the images cannot be located. Been there, done that !! And after getting things to work, do not rename the "renamed" Library folder to its original name - that will also crash.

Regards, Louis

Justin Swartz

if all the edits reside in the catalog folder, and I didn't touch that, then why are they gone?  Looking at your screenshots, I did it the exact same way.  Renamed my top folder within L3 and all edits are lost.  BTW, I have had L2018, L3 and now L4.  This problem just happened once I finally updated to Catalena so I don't believe for a second Skylum has fixed that issue as they say they have in this thread.  

Louis Pengue

Did you rename from inside Luminar?? (You said you did) You can’t rename on the Mac. I also have migrated from 2018 to L3 to L4. Try restoring the catalog file and going through the rename again. All edit info is associated with the catalog file, but also make sure you have the original name on the Library file so the catalog sees it. Hope you can find a fix. You can also go back in time and get an L3 catalog file and let L4 convert it for a fresh start. I did that several times. You can see the old L3 catalog file in the L4 catalog folder. That’s what I brought forward.

Justin Swartz

Maybe Im slow today or something but I'm not following "you can rename on the Mac."   In L3, I double click the top folder, my main folder, and it allows me to change the name of it.  I then go in my documents on the Mac where that folder is located and its also changed.   

I do a poor job of using time machine so thats not an option.  Currently, I reversed everything...went back to the original folder name and restored L3 to a previous version (when opening L3, hold down option thing) and I got all my edits back but again, 6 photos of each shot in All Photos and none in the actual folders under Albums.   My head hurts....

BTW, I really appreciate you trying to help.  Im about to email support but was really hoping your fix worked.  

Louis Pengue

Also you could use the Luminar backups to do a restore. I used that once and it seemed to work well. But I usually use Time Machine and pick the date I want to bring forward. 

Simon Häusermann

Luminar Backup worked just fine:

1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.

Then I renamend the top folder in Luminar 4. Right click on top folder > rename. After a restart of L4 all images and edits were back.

I don't think support will be able to help. They told me: "I'm afraid import problems are caused by compatibility issues with Catalina and can only be fixed by creating a new catalog, I'm sorry."

Louis Pengue

Justin,

You cannot rename the library folder on the Mac, you have to rename the folder inside Luminar by "Right Clicking" the folder in the Luminar tab and renaming there. If you do the rename on the Mac, Luminar will not make the linkages necessary. See below.

Louis Pengue

Justin, Simon gave excellent advice on using the Luminar backup process. Make sure that the Library Folder with the images has the original name that it had before you did any renaming. The Catalog file has to find the images in the folder that it has in its history, so it will be looking for the Library folder with its original name. 

Once you have done the backup and things are back to where they were, go through the renaming process as I described. My fingers are crossed that it works for you. I agree with Simon that the Skylum support team probably won’t know how to help you. 

I’ve submitted a detailed account to the Support Team of what worked and what didn’t work in hopes they will create an update that creates a fix for the rest of the community. I got a polite “thank you”. So I’m not sure what they are doing with the info. 

Quite a few Community Members have emailed me and said the process fixed their library, so I feel confident that it will work for many. It probably depends on how many manipulations a user has done to their library trying to make it work. That’s what I was doing when I found this fix. And that’s why a backup to a clean configuration is a good starting point. 

Eee, thanks for all of this and what a pain. 

I've tried renaming the Luminar library from inside L4. L4 immediately crashes and when I restart it (it has renamed the folder in finder) it still doesn't show any of the missing pictures. Any further insights? Anyone else experience this behaviour?

Thanks!!

Louis Pengue

I experienced the same behavior when I renamed the Library folder on the iMac and the Luminar Catalog file could not find the Luminar Library when I opened L4. When I renamed the Library folder on the iMac back to the “old” name the Calalog File worked fine and L4 opened again. When renaming from within L4/L3 the Luminar Catalog file synced up and all was repaired. 

I would recommend getting an older Luminar Catalog file that opens with the associated “Folders” problem and try renaming again from within Luminar.

You have to rename the TOP level folder that’s associated with the Luminar Library. That’s what the Catalog is looking for. My Top level folder has all my projects as sub folders. 

The Luminar Library folder is at the same hierarchy level as the Luminar Catalog folder in the “Pictures” folder in the default installation. 

Louis

Thank you Louis and everyone and it seems that I'm missing something (probably more than one thing :-).

As far as I can see there's a Luminar catalog but no Luminar Library folder. See finder screenshot (showing all files and folders including hidden) below:

It's the same thing in Luminar 4:

Any help or insights greatly appreciated!

Simon

Louis Pengue

Is the "Mine" Folder where your images are? If so that's your top level; Folder.

Here's my Mac folder and my L4 Library panel - you can see the correlation.

Thank you!

And, I am missing something. "Pictures" is my top level folder. When I add a folder to that (or new photos for that matter in an existing folder) they don't turn up in Luminar (3 or 4). 

Luminar, it appears to me, made a catalogue of my existing pictures folder structure. That worked fine until OSX Catalina. Which is just as well as there's no disk space to copy/duplicate my (large) photo library.

I'm not sure I totally got what you mean? Did I? Thoughts?!

Greatly appreciated, Simon

Louis Pengue

Simon, I remember the question when installing Luminar as to where the "Library" folder was going to be. I already had the "Luminar Library" folder in my Pictures folder because that's how I set up L3. I'm leaving the house now, let me think on a possible fix - but you have a tricky problem. You can always create a new Library folder - but edits will be lost - Louis

Louis Pengue

What does Luminar show in the “Folders” tab on the right hand size? What does Luminar think it’s folder structure is? That’s what the Catalog file is looking for. 

Gal Steinberg

@Louis Pengue Brilliant! Brilliant!!! I can't believe you got the library to work again!

Skylum support just said - Oh, the library will stay corrupted!

Many thanks... I'll lose a few hundred edits I did since Catalina came out, but that is better than losing the thousands I have with the L3 Library.

They said I can always go back to the corrupted library, and I tried to explain a few times that it takes a few minutes to open every time, so the solution is not viable. 

Louis Pengue

Gal,

I’m pleased to hear it worked for you. For some with no top level library folder to rename, it doesn’t seem to offer a fix. Also, if a library has had a lot of folder movement and image movement, it also may not be the proper fix, but I didn’t loose any edits in my corrupted library. Everything has been working ok since I did this fix. I appreciate you sharing your success. Happy Holidays!

Hi Louis, luminar shows "Pictures" as it's top level structure, screenshot below. Is this what you were asking about ?

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been traveling and off the internet. Simon

Louis Pengue

That's what I thought it might show. Apple has a protective system that won't let you rename this folder without some complicated hoops to jump through. Even if you were able to jump through those hoops, you would be renaming from the Mac  in Finder, not from within Luminar. I don't know how to force the Luminar Catalog to look for another folder other than renaming within Luminar.

I know you can add a new folder to the Pictures folder, and then add that folder to Luminar from within Luminar using the "+" button next to folders, and you can move your photos to that new folder, but edits will not be saved. However, the new folder should not exhibit the corrupted behavior. 

I would do a bunch of playing around if it were mine, but I can't advise you to get into trouble that you can't recover from.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Louis Pengue

Another comment:

Since the corrupted link in the Catalog file is to the "Pictures" folder, I can't be sure adding another folder inside Pictures will avoid the corrupted link. When I was adding new folders while playing around, I was adding them outside the corrupted Library folder at the same hierarchy level. Anything I added inside the corrupted folder was grayed out and showed no images. You may need to create a new folder outside the Pictures folder to get it working again, but this is the same thing as creating a new Catalog. You'll be starting from scratch in either of these scenarios.

Thanks Louis and yes, at the moment I can't find a way to get Luminar to "see" photos in a new folder within the "pictures" structure. I've tried importing and creating etc. 

It's got another interesting issue. New pictures do show up in the top level shortcut "All pictures" However, that (unhelpfully) creates multiple copies of these new pictures. Neither editing one of those pictures or adding it to an album helps. It still does not show up in the folders structure.

Sigh. all and all this is  unworkable. It seems I either lose all my edits and categorisation of pictures by   creating a new library catalogue or I don't use Luminar.  The new library option would mean hours of work (lots of essential album and favourite categorisation to replicate from the old library). And, doing that would almost certainly be incomplete (hard to find everything that's why it's categorised in the first place).

I'm a bit stuck what to do.... Certainly, I'm in no rush to buy Luminar 4 when my current trial runs out.

Simon

Justin Swartz

Sorry to rehash this problem after a month, but I'm still having the exact same issue as Simon.  Ive tried to rename the top folder, tried to go back to a previous catalog and nothing is working.  I have 6, yes 6, copies of each photo in the "All Photos" shortcut at the top, but they don't show in the actual folder where the pictures reside in the "folders" structure below it.   

I purchased L4 still like L3 a little better.  Plus I was able to add a signature to my photos but using a invert "look" on an added layer, but L4 won't let me do it.   

I assume no one from Skylum is monitoring  this thread anymore and can offer help and assume they will not offer anymore updates to L3 to correct this issues on Macs running Catalina.  So frustrating.   

Justin 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Justin,

Please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll see what we can do.

It is possible to add your signature to your photos in a similar to Luminar 3. You can find instructions here: https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/using-an-image-layer

Post is closed for comments.