Images not showing up in Luminar 3.1.4

Answered

Comments

57 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Louis, 

This looks like a known compatibility issue with the incorrect folder monitor work on Catalina-based computers. Our team is currently testing possible fixes, so please stay tuned for further updates. 

If I move the contents of the subfolder to a new folder and "add" this folder to Luminar - all images appear including the 350 or so that were deleted in the original subfolder, and all edits are lost - it's starting over from scratch.>>>> does the shortcut 'lost edits' appear in your Luminar Library file structure?

Comment actions Permalink
    Louis Pengue

I didn’t think to look at the “Lost Edits” folder. I’ll try an experiment today and see if any image edits are recoverable. Mostly I would like to see the Folder monitoring software fixed, and I know your working on that. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Louis

Helena Carter

Lois,

Sure, let us know how it goes. Have a great day!

Pam Dam

Hello
    I have the same problem. (November 3, 19)
    (Luminar 3, version 3.1.4 (5108))
    Helena, your last answer is 12 days old.
    is there a fix?

thank you, 

regards

Helena Carter

Hi Pam, please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and send us a screenshot of the issue. We'll be happy to help.

Louis Pengue

I played around with a lot of different library moves. "Lost Edits" did not provide anything for the old images. Moving anything into one of the existing Library folders is futile - the images are not recognized. Creating a new folder with images outside of the Library folder works, but if that folder is moved into the Library folder, it has no images. If the recognized images in the new folder are moved into an existing Library folder or subfolder - nothing is recognized. Luminar 3 is having a major issue with managing images and folders in the Library. Still waiting for an update . . . . . . . .

Pam Dam

Hello

I have the same problem for three days. I am in discussion with a skylum person, who gives me advice for this problem. I am in the same situation as you, exactly. but there is something new today: luminar has stopped working and I can not restart it. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, but it does not change anything, the result is the same. for me the problem is at apple, and is not fortuitous. I wonder if Skylum does not become embarrassing with its performance and pricing policy ...

Louis Pengue

Try the steps below. You have to delete more than just the Luminar App. I used this technique earlier when I had a problem as you described. 

These steps were posted in the "Catalina Compatibility" Section.

Here are the steps customer support provided to me:

Best of Luck

Louis

Christian Hamélius

The problem still persists even after a clean reinstall.

Help!!!

Louis Pengue

Christian,

Perhaps the library structure is corrupted. Do you use Time Machine or have another backup source? If you do, replace the library catalog file, and the library photos folder if available. The library photos folder may be ok, but the library catalog file should be replaced from a time when you knew it worked. Maybe this will help. 

Louis

Christian Hamélius

Thanks Louis for the feedback.

There was indeed a problem with the catalog file. Now everything's fine again.

Thanks a lot!

Louis Pengue

Good to hear it worked. I’ve been around this loop several times. Now if Skylum could just get Luminar working with Catalina.

Christian Hamélius

Louis Pengue

I hope so. I just cancelled my Adobe plan...

Simon Häusermann

I have the same problem described in the initial post. All new imported images or moved images are not shown in the folders. It seems to be a folder structure problem, you still can see the pictures in the "recently added" section of the library. Skylum support says to start a new catalog to solve the problem:

Support: "I'm afraid import problems are caused by compatibility issues with Catalina and can only be fixed by creating a new catalog, I'm sorry."

Unfortunately edits can't be moved to the new catalog. At least you can switch between two catalogs:

Support: "You can't move your edits to another catalog, but sure, you can switch between the catalogs!
    To create a new catalog, go File > Catalog > New. To open another catalog, just choose File > Catalog > Open."

I have the same impression other users have in the performance discussion: Skylum puts all resources into Luminar 4. Let's really hope this version will be fast, stable and out soon. And also that I will be able to merge the catalogs!

Elena Blum

Hi Simon, hi all  - We are constantly updating our software to improve the stability of it and to make the user experience better. The workaround you've been given by our support is the best way to handle temporal compatibility issues on MacOS Catalina. You can keep both catalogs (old and new one) and simply switch between them. All your old edits could be reached in an old catalog, however if you need to add new photos, you can do it in a new catalog, where the new edits will be saved too. 

In the meantime, please let me know if there’s anything else that we can help with and have a great day!

Simon Häusermann

Hi Elena, you said "temporal". Can you give us an estimate?

Elena Blum

Hi Simon, we plan some further software updates. Please stay tuned!

Pam Dam

hello

#Louis Pengue, thanks, it's ok, Luminar works again.

I still have the problem with new file recognition.

waiting for update too.

Louis Pengue

Since Luminar 4 is just about to be released, and I am waiting - will the folders issue be resolved with Luminar 4?? I have several large photo collections in folders that are half edited and waiting for Luminar to recognize all the images. I am not interested in creating a new catalog and starting from scratch.

Kate Williams

Hi Louis, 

Yes, the issue is already fixed in Luminar 4. The app will be fully compatible with Catalina. 

Louis Pengue

I just loaded Luminar 4. I let it convert my Luminar 3 catalog. Luminar 4 still does not show all the images in the library folders. I can't add an image to an existing folder and have the addition recognized. I can remove an image, but then cannot add it back again. So the problem I had with folders in L3 seem the same in L4. ?????

Justin Swartz

I am having the same problem and I just installed L4.  Running Catalina.  To take it one step further, now I have 6 exact copies of each photo that is in the Recently Added folder while none of those images are in the correct folders.   There are also 6 images of the same in the All Photos shortcut but none in the correct folder.   I too let it convert my L3 catalog.  If I reinstall L4 again and choose to start with a fresh catalog, all my edits will be gone correct?  

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Justin,

you do not have to reinstall but just create a new catalog. Then the import of images probably works.

Louis Pengue

I have found a solution that has worked for both my L3 and L4 libraries. Open Luminar and go to the Library tab on the right. Rename your top level library folder FROM WITHIN Luminar. You should see the name change on your computer. Once I did this, I had restored full normal operation. All images were visible and I could move images around at will. All previous edits were preserved!! Images can be added, removed, sub folders with images can be added etc - everything was working. I have informed Skylum of the fix I found. GOOD LUCK with your library. Don’t go back and rename the library folder to the original name, it will corrupt again.

Simon Häusermann

Wow Louis, great job! Had to restart Luminar but then all restored images were back! Thanks a lot. I hope support will see this post. If they did, they at least could show some appreciation. Last mail from them was that there will be no solution to that problem. Well at least this post was not deleted like some others in this thread. Luminar really could need a communication expert to handle issues in their community. Thanks again for sharing Louis!

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Louis,

SUPER - thank you

Alan Edward

Hi Louis,

Sounds very positive.

I have the root folder set as Pictures which the Mac OS is not allowing to rename.  Any ideas on how this could be achieved please?

Thank you.

Justin Swartz

So the rename worked for the photos to show back up in the correct folders but now all my edits are gone.  All I did was rename in L4.  Also, half the pictures are now blacked out in All Photos or Recently Edited.  Thoughts?  

Justin Swartz

I tried to restore from a previous backup days ago before I renamed the folder and still ALL EDITS are gone.  Hours and hours of work down the tube unless one of the Skylum support can save the day......might be money back time  

Update- with L3 and L4 closed, I renamed the folder to what it was originally, then opened L3 and performed a backup to a previous version.  All my edits came back but so did my problems with the folders and having 6 copies of each photo.  I opened L4 and restored to brand new and waiting to here a solution that works.  Wish the folder rename worked for me Louis, unfortunately it didn't.  Any other ideas?  

Louis Pengue

I’m out of town at the moment and can’t do a screen shot of what I did. My “Luminar Library” folder was in my Pictures folder too. That was what I called my top level folder. It had to be renamed from within Luminar. You can’t rename the folder on the Mac. I did not rename anything else. So same Luminar catalog file which is in a different folder in Pictures. I went through this process several times. If this process broke your library, I would recommend using Time Machine and restore an older L3 Library Catalog file and do the migration to L4 again, or if using L3, just do a restore. I did start this process by pulling an older L3 catalog forward. I’ve been fighting this problem since last October when Catalina was installed. I did this fix using one of those Luminar Catalog files. I never changed the Luminar Libray folder’s which contains all the images in several folders. That was done after the restore as I described- from within Luminar. Don’t know if sheds any light. When I get back home again, I can do a few screen shots. You can always use Time Machine to go back where you were (if you use a backup). Later - Louis

Post is closed for comments.